Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR-24 and ethernet passthrough- how could I get this to work?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   videoboy77

videoboy77

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

I have an HR 22 upstairs. It has a decca ethernet to coax adapter connected to it with the ethernet connected to my router. 

Downstairs is an HR 24. That just has coax connected to it and is on the network via deca. 

I really need to tap in to the internet connection on the HR 24 but when you plug the ethernet cable in to the HR 24 it disable networking over coax. 

I know it's probably not supported. But is there ANY way to get this to work so my HR 24 can pass off the internet connection over coax so I can have a hard wired network connection down stairs. (wifi isn't an option, long story)

Would a Broadband connection kit help in any way? I'm wondering if there's any other way to connect the DVRs to the ethernet that would enable this?

As I keep researching thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thank you! 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   videoboy77

videoboy77

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

Okay, I'm seeing info on page 18 and 19 of the Solid Signal coax network white paper (which is really great btw) that it might be possible with a cinema connection kit. 

OPTION 1: To be used for HR24, H24, H25, and HR34 receivers that do not require a DECA

You’ll need a combination of parts including:

DIRECTV SWS-2 Satellite 2-Way Wide Band MRV Compatible Splitter (2 -2150 MHz) Netgear ProSafe FS105 5-port 10/100Mbps Ethernet Switch (FS105) any wired switch 7 ft Enhanced Category 5 Cable - Grey (or any Cat5e or Cat6 cables (or make your own) Solid Signal Custom Cable Lengths RG6 with High Quality Solid Signal Connectors

To install:

1. Place a 2-way splitter between your cable line and your devices. Connect the DIRECTV receiver to

one output port, and the Cinema Connection Kit to the other.

2. Connect the Cinema Connection kit to a network switch, and connect all other devices to that switch.

SO it looks like this will work, and would allow me to pick up the internet connection. Anyone try this?

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,478 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

Dunno. 

Can you not run an ethernet wire along side the coax you have now?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   videoboy77

videoboy77

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

No. Can't run ethernet, can't do wifi. 

But according to Solid Signal this will work. So my plan is to get a splitter and a cinema connection kit and tap in to the coax network, put a wifi router on it and have wifi downstairs.

#5 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,940 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

I'm somewhat in the same boat.  I want to have an internet connection at the location of my coax-networked H24 to connect my DVR to Netflix.  I just purchssed a DECA adapter and power supply for $10 (shipped) via eBay to do this (I will use a splitter to connect the DECA adapter to the satellite coax feed).  I haven't installed it yet but am pretty sure it will work. 

It would seem that the same approach would work with a CCK-W and it might also work with it in the passthrough mode.  The control panel for the CCK-W shows a heading for Access Point mode but it is greyed out.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,324 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

I'll give you a hint, to get internet out of the coax network, you must get it the same way it goes in...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   videoboy77

videoboy77

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

I got this working exactly as the Solid Signal white paper described. Used a splitter and the CCK. Plugged a wireless router into the CCK and now I have wifi network access downstairs where my wifi never reached and where I couldn't run Ethernet. This is a great solution to extend your computer network into an area that can't a connection any other way. Thanks!

#8 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

I just use a DECA with a Power Injector (ebay $6) and have my GenieGo plugged into it.  At one point, I also had a small switch between the DECA and GG for a gateway for my solar panels.  So yes, it works, no, it's not supported other than self-supported.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#9 OFFLINE   mrjacobrussell

mrjacobrussell

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

Sounds like what you need is a CCKW

On cckw,  plug ethernet from cckw to your device first.
Then connected coax network lines  (inline with receiver) then power the CCKW up.

Now you have a deca to ethernet bridge. Anywhere you have a receiver you can pop ethernet out to a device or switch/WAP

No splitters needed. :)

Edited by mrjacobrussell, 12 December 2013 - 11:21 AM.

HR44-C41-HR24
Rackable NM46X, 2 x Dual-Core AMD Opteron 2.4ghz 16GB Ram

- You Stay Classy San Deigo. :goodjob:

#10 OFFLINE   SolidSignal

SolidSignal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

I'm glad our tutorials are helping people! If there's one you'd like to see, let me know via PM or through the contact links at The Solid Signal Blog.

spam firewall