Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Set-up for DirecTV receiver with Charter Modem, Linksys router, and internet phone

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Meeshamd

Meeshamd

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHubertus, WI

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

This is such a puzzle to me. How do I connect everything? My DirecTV receiver is plugged into the wall by a coaxial cable and I used a splitter for that outlet to also plug my Charter modem. I have my wireless router and wireless phone all too.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Wow, what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

What type of dish do you have.  But typically, you would need one (or two) coax cables for DirecTV and another independent cable for your cable modem 

Why is not DirecTV and for that matter your cable company not installing this for you?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

This is such a puzzle to me. How do I connect everything? My DirecTV receiver is plugged into the wall by a coaxial cable and I used a splitter for that outlet to also plug my Charter modem. I have my wireless router and wireless phone all too.

This setup will not work.

Where does the cable from  charter enter your house, and where does the cable from the satellite dish enter your house? Do they "combine" at any point? Do you have SWM? Like peds asked, why isn't DirecTV and/or Charter setting this up for you?

#4 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:10 AM

To the best of my knowledge this can't be done. Granted it's been five or six years and things change but I explored doing something similar with TWC just to get Internet and it couldn't be done without isolating one cable for the TWC service. Running a separate cable to where I wanted the modem was problematic so I stuck with DSL until just two weeks ago when I upgraded to U-verse Internet.

Edited by randyk47, 20 November 2013 - 06:12 AM.

Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Denon AVR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#5 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

It's possible if you have a legacy system (non-SWM) but if you have SWM, you cannot diplex the signals together. 

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

You can't simply pick a random cable and hope that it will work. The cable must be uniquely connected to a DIRECTV antenna (or an associated multiswitch).

You cannot share a cable with your modem or phone service. With the advent of broadband and phone service from cable companies like Charter, there may be considerable overlap in the signals so they can no longer share.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...