Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Blocked shows on DVR

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   naturetaz

naturetaz

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVista,Ca

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

I have 2 HR 24 DVR's and 1 HD Receivers. I also have whole home dvr service as well. Well we just got the second dvr and starting using it record other shows on it. So my wife was watching something that we had recorded on that dvr and I was wanting to watch else on that same dvr but I noticed that they were blocked so I couldn't watch from that dvr but I could watch anything on the dvr I was using . Is there a solution to fix this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,683 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

No

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   naturetaz

naturetaz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVista,Ca

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

No

Is this a known problem? and is there something  you can recommend 

Edited by naturetaz, 19 November 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,683 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

Not a problem. If a HR2x DVR is doing a playback, nothing on its hard drive can be access.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#5 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,806 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

HR24s can stream only one show at a time over WHDVR. If a second was attempted it won't play. Was that what you experienced?

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,356 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

Only a Genie can stream to multiple receivers/clients at once, that's limited to three.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

Is this a known problem? and is there something  you can recommend 

Yup, not a problem.  I recommend getting a Genie

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,691 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

I have 2 HR 24 DVR's and 1 HD Receivers. I also have whole home dvr service as well. Well we just got the second dvr and starting using it record other shows on it. So my wife was watching something that we had recorded on that dvr and I was wanting to watch else on that same dvr but I noticed that they were blocked so I couldn't watch from that dvr but I could watch anything on the dvr I was using . Is there a solution to fix this?

To be a bit more clear, I assume your wife was on the non dvr and you where on the other dvr, so you where both trying to watch a show from the same dvr but neither of you where at that dvr..  That is the issue.  Had she been at that dvr watching the show youd have been able to watch it just fine.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,793 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

To be a bit more clear, I assume your wife was on the non dvr and you where on the other dvr, so you where both trying to watch a show from the same dvr but neither of you where at that dvr..  That is the issue.  Had she been at that dvr watching the show youd have been able to watch it just fine.

Exactly. You can always watch something locally (on the DVR it was recorded on) and something else remotely (via whole-home). But you can't watch two recordings remotely at the same time from a regular DVR. The newer Genie DVRs (HR34 and HR44) can feed up to three remote devices at the same time.

#10 OFFLINE   naturetaz

naturetaz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVista,Ca

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

Thank you everyone for the response that everyone has given me. That is exactly what I am experiencing and I guess there is nothing I can do. I have tried to request for the genie system to upgrade and they came back and said we can't do that. that is how I winded up with 2 DVR's. It really sucks. I love directv but I am seriously thinking about cancelling. but now I have to wait for 2 yrs again. DARN IT!!!!

#11 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

If you and your wife typically have different show that you record and watch, your best option might be for you to record the shows that you watch on one DVR and she could record the shows that she watches on the other DVR.  Then regardless of which TV you are attempting to watch your show, you won't have this type of conflict.

I realize that this is not a foolproof solution.  But, with some thought, it can eliminate a lot of conflicts.

#12 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

I had a customer with several HDDVRs and a Genie and they were having big problems with that.   They didn't understand the issue and I just went ahead and moved record list items around the house to where each of them usually watched and it fixed it.

They also had an issue with the kid loading up the record lists on all the DVRs with the stuff he liked.  I put all his shows on his DVR, and also set it keep only 5 episodes of everything. 

That family should adopt me . . . . 

:coffee

#13 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,691 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

Or put the DVRs in the places that you watch tv the most. Sounds like you haven't done that as of yet.

spam firewall