Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper S418

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rgranberry

rgranberry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

One Giant Step Backwards  !!

Hate the new tiles. Gone are the info on what day it was recorded and whether you've watched it or not.  Now you have to cursor to the tile and hit "Info" to find this out. Was there any reason for changing the tiles?

I see that there is a "delete" option for the prime time recordings.  I guess that would be an easy way to keep track of the ones you've watched : just delete the like you do with regular recordings.  HOWEVER, the drawback here is that the recording (at least the icon for the recording) is gone forever.  The show DOES NOT end up in the Deleted Recordings folder.

Also, the simple matter of displaying the tiles is broken when using folders in the PrimeTime Anytime red button selection :

When stopping playback of a recorded show, selecting DVR, when it goes back to display of the folders, selecting a folder results in "no events to display". Must hit Cancel to get display of folder icons back.  Does not do this using folders in the My Recordings red button selection.

Fixed : The menus when selecting an icon in a second level folder is the same as in the primary level.

The Skip Fwd problem that showed up with S213, where the picture does not keep up with rapid presses is still there. Guess it's a "Feature" now.

Haven't had a chance to see if the Custom List problem (dropping channels) is fixed.

Does anyone at Dish know what this update included?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

One Giant Step Backwards  !!

Hate the new tiles. Gone are the info on what day it was recorded and whether you've watched it or not.  Now you have to cursor to the tile and hit "Info" to find this out. Was there any reason for changing the tiles?

I see that there is a "delete" option for the prime time recordings.  I guess that would be an easy way to keep track of the ones you've watched : just delete the like you do with regular recordings.  HOWEVER, the drawback here is that the recording (at least the icon for the recording) is gone forever.  The show DOES NOT end up in the Deleted Recordings folder.

Also, the simple matter of displaying the tiles is broken when using folders in the PrimeTime Anytime red button selection :

When stopping playback of a recorded show, selecting DVR, when it goes back to display of the folders, selecting a folder results in "no events to display". Must hit Cancel to get display of folder icons back.  Does not do this using folders in the My Recordings red button selection.

Fixed : The menus when selecting an icon in a second level folder is the same as in the primary level.

The Skip Fwd problem that showed up with S213, where the picture does not keep up with rapid presses is still there. Guess it's a "Feature" now.

Haven't had a chance to see if the Custom List problem (dropping channels) is fixed.

Does anyone at Dish know what this update included?

On the other hand, I - at least not yet - don't think it is a giant step back maybe a step back.  There appears to be good and bad in this update. 

First the good, the issue where you viewed what the tuners were doing (red button while viewing a show) has been fixed - it now shows what all of the tuners are doing instead of just the tuner you are watching.

And for the bad, it looks like when there are multiple channels in a single channel (like the 99 music channels) and they are expanded hitting select or the blue collapse button does nothing - they stay expanded.

2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#3 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

My Music channels collapse and expand just fine. I also don't have the problem with the PTAT folder no results issue. Maybe try rebooting your boxes?

#4 OFFLINE   rgranberry

rgranberry

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

my channel 99 works ok also.  the PTAT folder problem only happens if using folders in the PTAT folder.

#5 OFFLINE   Daggett

Daggett

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

I really hate the new DVR menu. Knowing whether you've watched a show and how old it is is vital information. Who in their right mind would remove it?!

#6 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:47 AM

...First the good, the issue where you viewed what the tuners were doing (red button while viewing a show) has been fixed - it now shows what all of the tuners are doing instead of just the tuner you are watching...

Some more info, I noticed when I first got home this evening that it didn't show what was on all the tuners so I thought I was wrong.  But found that if you do swap tunners after that it will show both tuners you have viewed and what is on each.

2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#7 OFFLINE   rgranberry

rgranberry

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

After reading the blurb for hopper2 S328, I checked out the "new, improved search".  They broke that too. Before, when selecting "themes" on the remote, it remembered your last selected search.  Now t clears all the filters each time, requiring you to go back and set them all up again.  I used to use this to find all the live motorsport events. Now that will be a pain.

#8 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

Search is challenging......for me. I liked the other system better. Check that....it sucks....!

Edited by 356B, 24 November 2013 - 12:26 PM.

Thank you and
Best of luck

#9 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

I really hate the new DVR menu. Knowing whether you've watched a show and how old it is is vital information. Who in their right mind would remove it?!

On my recordings if the information on the bottom of the My Recordings icons read 0% watched mean I have not looked at that recording. If the reading is anything else then I looked at the recording. There are others that read the percentage of the recording I looked at.

Also the date the show I recorded is listed above all the recorded show icons and the date I recorded the particular shows is shown right on the icons.

#10 OFFLINE   rgranberry

rgranberry

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

SeaBeagle - do you have the NEW software? S418 hopper, S238 hopper2.

#11 OFFLINE   rgranberry

rgranberry

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

Just found something else that got broken :

Select a recording, chose edit, chose folder option - the drop down list is messed up.  In my case I have two folders KEEP & MOVIES. The drop down list shows MOVIES as first entry and blank as second entry. Is you select MOVIES you actually get KEEP and if you select blank you get MOVIES. I.E. the drop down list display is off by one.

#12 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

One thing I do like (amongst the stuff I don't) is the new ON Demand 'channels' in the EPG. Makes it very convenient to find stuff.

Now if DISH would get their SHOWTIME act together with a SHO ON Demand.

#13 OFFLINE   Poco Askew

Poco Askew

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

IDK if this has been covered, but the time remaining no longer works. I am watching a recording that is 1 hour, 5 minutes long. No matter how much of the recording has been watched, the Hopper tells me 1 hour and 9 minutes remain. The search history is completely useless now. This update is pretty much garbage, IMO.

-edit-

OK, the time remaining works correctly for me SOMETIMES. I've watched at least three recordings where it never changed and wasn't even the same as the record length. However my wife just watched a show, I checked it and it worked correctly. No idea what makes it work or fail.

Edited by Poco Askew, 05 December 2013 - 08:01 PM.

Do you ever feel you're not a big fish in a small pond, or even
a small fish in a big pond, but rather a small fish in a big fish?

#14 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

Yes it works, its in the info box if you press info or if you are in folders by title. It was only removed from the No folder view.

#15 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

Since this update I have had 3 instances where a wrong show was recorded. It seems to record a show that was a hour earlier. This had never happened to me before. Granted it could be a guide problem, but I don't think it is.

#16 OFFLINE   gilroykilroy

gilroykilroy

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

Yes it works, its in the info box if you press info or if you are in folders by title. It was only removed from the No folder view.

and custom folders

#17 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

We are really hating the search option as well - doesn't keep the filters, which is a real pain. And killed our current history so we have to start over with that which was enough of a pain to begin with since it doesn't keep any searches in history unless it actually found something. 

Also, in the blurb, it said you could search by actor but we can't see any way to do this. It used to be that we would search using the term "Laurel" and search information instead of title and it would find any of the Laurel & Hardy movies available for recording. Now there doesn't seem to be a way to do this even though the blurb made a big point out of saying this was "now possible". I tried to go to their new and improved "help" button for this topic and it froze the Hopper; had to do a hard reboot to bring it back.

Anybody know how to do this?

Edited by dbconsultant, 09 December 2013 - 09:55 AM.

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Pioneer VSX-41 A/V Receiver
Magnavox DVD Recorder
Sony DVP-NC665P CD/DVD Player

Sony BlueRay Player

Protected By... spam firewall...And...