Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper2 S328 is out

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kstevens

kstevens

Icon

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

Screen says improvements in Search, help.

Ken

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

• First Pay-TV provider to enable HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) technology
  • On Demand User interface update delivers faster, easier browsing
  • Second-screen app, DISH Explorer, now controls all TVs in Hopper ecosystem

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DISH is rolling out the latest software for its Hopper® Whole-Home HD DVR, making DISH the first pay-TV provider to implement HDMI-CEC technology to control users’ televisions. The software update, code named “Denver,” is the fifth in a line of Hopper updates this year.

“The ‘Denver’ release for Hopper is all about continuing to improve the TV viewing experience for our customers”

In addition to the upgraded Hopper and television integration, DISH has made updates to the box’s navigation and search interfaces. These enhancements, including On Demand shelf organization and control of Joey boxes with the DISH Explorer app, will improve user experiences on Hopper with Sling and Hopper set-top boxes.

HDMI-CEC Technology

With a new HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) function, the moment a user turns on the Hopper, the television will automatically adjust to the proper viewing input. For example, customers who last watched a Blu-Ray no longer have to manually switch back to their TV’s satellite input to view their DISH channels.

“The ‘Denver’ release for Hopper is all about continuing to improve the TV viewing experience for our customers,” said Vivek Khemka, senior vice president of product management at DISH. “With so many devices connected to the TV, we find confusion arises when consumers switch between inputs. Our Hopper’s HDMI-CEC feature helps eliminate that confusion.”

Additional Updates

In addition to the HDMI-CEC, “Denver” improves the Hopper experience with the various enhancements detailed below.

On Demand Shelves: Hopper’s On Demand section now displays rows, or shelves, organized with movie and show tiles displayed horizontally across the screen. This makes it easier for users to scroll through their options and select from the more than 20,000 titles available in DISH’s On Demand collection. As part of this new design, DISH includes a “Free for Kids” shelf that features On Demand content filtered by content ratings appropriate for children.

DISH Explorer: To create a seamless browsing and content discovery experience, the DISH Explorer app can now control all televisions in a Hopper ecosystem. To further enhance the program discovery capability within DISH Explorer, the app now includes a new “See Also” recommendation feature. This allows users to easily find similar programming options. DISH Explorer is a highly-rated, second-screen iPad app that easily finds programming, engages on social media and serves as a remote control.

Search: Hopper’s search function now produces results from all possible sources, including the programming guide, recorded content and On Demand. Results. This is also presented in the shelf-based format, making it easy to view and select from the displayed options.

Programming guide: When users visit HBO, Starz, Encore, Epix and History in the programming guide, an option to select that channel’s On Demand page will appear with additional content options.

Help app: A new “Help” app provides customers with information to better maximize Hopper features and settings. The app is accessible from the “Menu” or by pressing the blue button on the DISH remote. 

#3 OFFLINE   SDWC

SDWC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

Search: Hopper’s search function now produces results from all possible sources, including the programming guide, recorded content and On Demand. Results. This is also presented in the shelf-based format, making it easy to view and select from the displayed options.

Does searching also include recorded content on an EHD?

#4 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

Does searching also include recorded content on an EHD?

]

No

#5 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

Will this also include the "rumored upgrade" to the visual aspects of the EPG to make is easier to read? These new kitschy industry features are great, but the "house" needs other fixin' first.

#6 OFFLINE   SDWC

SDWC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

I have noticed since this upgrade that whenever I use the recall button to go from a non-local channel to a local channel it is taking between 5-10 seconds for the local channel to appear on the screen.  This isn't happening (at least I haven't found a scenario yet) anywhere else.  This is on the TV directly connected to the Hopper2, I haven't tried it on a Joey yet.

Anybody else seeing this or have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

#7 OFFLINE   rjruby

rjruby

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

OK, this problem is weird.

My two HWS's have been updated with S328.

Since the update, both of them have exhibited a problem transferring OTA recordings from the Hoppers to the EHDs. The transfer on both stalls with about 1 minute remaining and hangs. The Hoppers don't respond to the STOP command on the "USB Device Transfer Progress 848" display.

I can transfer satellite recordings from the Hoppers to the EHDs without a problem. The Hoppers playback previously transferred OTA and satellite programs from the EHDs without a problem.

I've removed/restored power and replaced the EHDs on both Hoppers with the same result.

Anyone else have this problem?

#8 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

I have S328 and boy did they screw two things up big time.

I often wonder if they actually do any testing before releasing these updates. Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that they keep working on software updates to "improve" things, but do they have any "real users" in the field that test this before releasing to the masses? If not, I'd like to sign up and provide immediate feedback.

Issue 1: They revamped the icons in the DVR section with new eye-candy folders and show icons, but they REMOVED the progress bar that showed what percentage you had watched of any given show. I used this info all the time and now it's gone. If you don't remember what show you were previously watching, which was easily known via the progress bar, too bad just guess and maybe you'll happen to run across it eventually.

Issue 2: Go and try to do a search in the newly revamped Search area and then look at your search History! Wow, here's what it does:

1) If you Search for a show that is currently playing on any given channel by hitting the Search button, everything is fine, same for Searching by using the guide entry. These titles will be entered into the search history on a single line.

2) But, try typing a search string into the new interface and then look at your search History... it's a complete mess. For example, type this as a Search:

Tales of the riverbank

Now look at the Search History and you will see these entries in your History (each consuming one of the limited spots in the History list and each of these entries shoving other entries off of the list as needed to make room):

Tales of the riverbank

Tales of the riverban

Tales of the riverba

Tales of the riverb

Tales of the river

Tales of the rive

Tales of the riv

Tales of the ri

Tales of the r

Tales of the (this is here due to the space between "the" and the next word)

Tales of the

Tales of th

Tales of t

Tales of (this is here due to the space between "of" and the next word)

Tales of

Tales o

Tales (this is here due to the space between "Tales" and the next word)

Tales

Tale

Tal

Ta

T

That's 22 entries for this one search out of a total of 50 slots in the History list.

They removed the "More" button on the main Search entry screen that would add or move your current search string to the top of the list.

Now, there's no way to keep your valid searches on the list at all, or at the top of the list so they don't get shoved off by the new and improved method in S328. under S316 if you went to your History and selected one of your predefined searches, it would be moved to the top of the list.

I regularly keep about 15-20 searches in my list to perform on a weekly basis. They have effectively killed any functional use of the search histoy in this latest release.

There's still no way to delete a previous search from the list to make room for more searches, you just have to let things drop off the bottom of the list and keep moving predefined searches to the top of the list to prevent them from being dropped off the bottom, but you can't even do that anymore.

This needs to be fixed ASAP!

P.S. No, I don't want to use Search & Record because some of the shows I search for would result in a bunch of garbage being recorded that I don't want. I want to see the search results and then decide if I want to record or not.

Rhetorical Question: Why does Dish keep changing things? If you have a great search method then why insist on "fixing" it all the time? On the 721 you could use a USB keyboard to enter searches instead of the tedious method used now via the remote. You could also delete searches from the list that you no longer needed, thus freeing up space without having to worry about often used searches being dropped off of the list due to space constrainsts.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey
Sirius Sportster 4 Replay

#9 OFFLINE   gilroykilroy

gilroykilroy

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

The only thing I see "fixed" is they have a Resume now on the popup menu on items in your own folders you are in the middle of watching.

Still broken is the folders menu under Edit (second item is blank) and turning off closed captioning still not on "off" when you enter screen.

Newly broken is the removal of % watched (how are you suppose to know what you are in the middle of watching?).

Guess they are net minus with the EHD issue mentioned too.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,917 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

I have S328 and boy did they screw two things up big time.

I often wonder if they actually do any testing before releasing these updates. Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that they keep working on software updates to "improve" things, but do they have any "real users" in the field that test this before releasing to the masses? If not, I'd like to sign up and provide immediate feedback.

Issue 1: They revamped the icons in the DVR section with new eye-candy folders and show icons, but they REMOVED the progress bar that showed what percentage you had watched of any given show. I used this info all the time and now it's gone. If you don't remember what show you were previously watching, which was easily known via the progress bar, too bad just guess and maybe you'll happen to run across it eventually.

Issue 2: Go and try to do a search in the newly revamped Search area and then look at your search History! Wow, here's what it does:

1) If you Search for a show that is currently playing on any given channel by hitting the Search button, everything is fine, same for Searching by using the guide entry. These titles will be entered into the search history on a single line.

2) But, try typing a search string into the new interface and then look at your search History... it's a complete mess. For example, type this as a Search:

Tales of the riverbank

Now look at the Search History and you will see these entries in your History (each consuming one of the limited spots in the History list and each of these entries shoving other entries off of the list as needed to make room):

Tales of the riverbank

Tales of the riverban

Tales of the riverba

Tales of the riverb

Tales of the river

Tales of the rive

Tales of the riv

Tales of the ri

Tales of the r

Tales of the (this is here due to the space between "the" and the next word)

Tales of the

Tales of th

Tales of t

Tales of (this is here due to the space between "of" and the next word)

Tales of

Tales o

Tales (this is here due to the space between "Tales" and the next word)

Tales

Tale

Tal

Ta

T

That's 22 entries for this one search out of a total of 50 slots in the History list.

They removed the "More" button on the main Search entry screen that would add or move your current search string to the top of the list.

Now, there's no way to keep your valid searches on the list at all, or at the top of the list so they don't get shoved off by the new and improved method in S328. under S316 if you went to your History and selected one of your predefined searches, it would be moved to the top of the list.

I regularly keep about 15-20 searches in my list to perform on a weekly basis. They have effectively killed any functional use of the search histoy in this latest release.

There's still no way to delete a previous search from the list to make room for more searches, you just have to let things drop off the bottom of the list and keep moving predefined searches to the top of the list to prevent them from being dropped off the bottom, but you can't even do that anymore.

This needs to be fixed ASAP!

P.S. No, I don't want to use Search & Record because some of the shows I search for would result in a bunch of garbage being recorded that I don't want. I want to see the search results and then decide if I want to record or not.

Rhetorical Question: Why does Dish keep changing things? If you have a great search method then why insist on "fixing" it all the time? On the 721 you could use a USB keyboard to enter searches instead of the tedious method used now via the remote. You could also delete searches from the list that you no longer needed, thus freeing up space without having to worry about often used searches being dropped off of the list due to space constrainsts.

Search for "ADESSO" keyword here - I did test it [2.4 GHz KB] with ViP and XiP devices...

#11 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

There's a good breakout on the bad of S328 over at SatGuys:

http://www.satellite...is-Needed-NOWIn

#12 OFFLINE   fwampler

fwampler

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

The new Search function has caused my Hopper to lock twice. Had to "red button" it both times. 

Fred

#13 OFFLINE   orenr

orenr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

I use an IR remote for my Hopper, and since the update I noticed that sometimes it does things as if I pressed the remote button TWICE (e.g. instead skipping to the next day in the program guide, it skips two days).

Another problem happened when I watched a VOD movie I had previously downloaded.  When I press the info button, the overlay has three buttons at the bottom: start from the beginning, stop playing, and close (i.e. exit).  For some reason, the default is "start from the beginning" instead of close, so if you expect sanity and don't pay attention, you end up restarting the movie.  If you haven't guessed, the first time I wasn't paying attention.

And yesterday I had a lot of trouble with Blockbuster movies.  It kept saying that it couldn't contact the server.  The network test was OK, so maybe there really was a problem with the server and it had nothing to do with the new software version.  I haven't tried it today.

#14 OFFLINE   SDWC

SDWC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

Still having trouble since the upgrade with changing channels.  It takes around 10 seconds for some channels to appear, and twice now I've had to do a reboot (once red button reset and once full plug pull), when changing to a channel that never appears.  I just see a blank screen that never goes away.  If I hit select I see the banner appear but nothing else.  Once I reset the box the channel I was trying to access now appears.

This went from a functional, reliable product to a frustration with this software upgrade.  Anybody else see anything like this type of behavior?

Thanks in advance.

#15 OFFLINE   Transplanted Yankee

Transplanted Yankee

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

Still having trouble since the upgrade with changing channels.  It takes around 10 seconds for some channels to appear, and twice now I've had to do a reboot (once red button reset and once full plug pull), when changing to a channel that never appears.  I just see a blank screen that never goes away.  If I hit select I see the banner appear but nothing else.  Once I reset the box the channel I was trying to access now appears.

This went from a functional, reliable product to a frustration with this software upgrade.  Anybody else see anything like this type of behavior?

Thanks in advance.

Yep, I have the same issues when changing channels, screen goes blank for about 10 seconds, then show appears.

Also, one thing I've noticed is I now have a "Resume" option for a show i partially watched.

My wife says that I have never met a tool I haven’t liked. People on the other hand......

#16 OFFLINE   darla0002

darla0002

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

Hello,

I work for EchoStar software engineering. I have sent some of you a pm requesting your receiver ID so we can follow up on your issues with the recently released software. Any one experiencing issues with the new software version that would like to send me the information in a pm including your receiver ID we will try to look into it. Please provide as much detail as possible (date and time).

Most of the DBS administrators can verify who I am.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Darlene

#17 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

Is anyone else having problems getting the PT Anytime folder to display any shows? I now have to enter the folder two or three times in order to get it to display any icons at all. I never had this issue previous to this software release.

Try entering one of your other folders first and then backing out one level and entering PT Anytime from there. Also, try just entering PT Anytime directly after you press the DVR button.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey
Sirius Sportster 4 Replay

#18 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

Works fine for me both ways, 100% of the time.

#19 OFFLINE   gilroykilroy

gilroykilroy

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

I have the changing channel problem as well. Definitely happens on my local channels (numbers < 100).

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

FYI: We have confirmed the identity of Darla0002 (Darlene). If you have received a PM feel free to respond.

Hello,

I work for EchoStar software engineering. I have sent some of you a pm requesting your receiver ID so we can follow up on your issues with the recently released software. Any one experiencing issues with the new software version that would like to send me the information in a pm including your receiver ID we will try to look into it. Please provide as much detail as possible (date and time).

Most of the DBS administrators can verify who I am.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Darlene

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...