Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper2 S328 is out

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SDWC

SDWC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

Thank you very much James.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,427 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

I can second James' confirmation of Darlene.  I have exchanged communications with her several times in the past when she was collecting customer info to help track down problems.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#23 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

I have the changing channel problem as well. Definitely happens on my local channels (numbers < 100).

I just tested several channels on my Hopper and it switches channels in about 2.5 seconds after I press the up/down arrow. I tried channels >100 and <100 (including all locals here in Buffalo). No issues.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey
Sirius Sportster 4 Replay

#24 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

Here's my updated list of issues that still remain from S315, S316 and continuing under S328 or are new under S328 (as noted):

(all Hopper issues unless otherwise noted):

* I set a timer for Jeopardy! Or some other show that immediately precedes the PT Anytime timer. When I play back the show, it will not only show the episode of Jeopardy! but within that recording it will continue to show every PT Anytime show one after the other up until 11 PM. I can literally fast forward through every PT show that is on the same channel as Jeopardy! The single Jeopardy! episode shows a show length of only 30 minutes, as it should. (existed since S315)

This can also happen when I tell a show that is within the PT Anytime schedule to “save” or “save series”.

* My Save Series option with PT Anytime doesn't seem to do anything at times. Sometimes a show is saved into the No Folder folder each week, yet other shows don't save at all and I have to manually save them each week from the PT Anytime folder. I don't trust the system to save shows I set as Save or Save Series from within the PT Anytime lineup. (existed since S315)

* Search only holds 50 items, drops oldest searches off the list as limit is reached, can't erase single searches or entire list -- just the other day I had to soft reboot the Hopper and it erased the entire Search list for no apparent reason!

* Joey loses sync when ff/rew SD programming -- it will randomly jump to whatever spot in the recorded program that it wants to! Never happens with HD programming during playback. If I use skip ahead/back then I can avoid the issue with SD programming on the Joey. (existed since S315)

* Progress bar is not real time on Hopper or Joey. When I pause a show then the progress bar will jump to the correct position -- possible relationship to sync issue with Joey on SD recordings? (existed since S315)

* Folder count in the My Recordings section is ridiculously inaccurate. They seem to count DELETED shows too!

I can have a folder that says there are 5 recordings in it, but when I enter the folder there is nothing in there because I had deleted them at an earlier time or there are 3 recordings still there, etc. (existed since S315)

* Moving a show from one folder to another will show the list of folders, but the second name in the list is shifted to the first slot and there is a blank space in the second slot. If I select the top slot it will go to my wife's folder (not listed but still exists as it is overwritten by the second name in the list), as it should, but if I select the blank second slot then it will go to my folder, as it should (second slot should show my name, but my name has been shifted to the first slot in the list). (existed since S315)

* Can't set update time, always kicks in at 1 am and I have to answer NO, then it will kick in a half hour to an hour later, etc. (Joey)

* Allow collapsing of multiple episodes into a single icon (Folders) in all user-defined folders (just like PT Anytime can do)! If I have 10 episodes of a show I have to scroll past all 10 individual icons in order to see the next recording, etc. Just collapse them down into a single icon that shows me how many episodes are there and then let me expand that folder if I want to watch that particular show -- much less clutter involved in My Recordings that way. Just give me Folders like PT Anytime has.

* The timer priority editing has finally been fixed, sort of. When I look at my active timers I see 30 of them. When I select Edit Action/Priority and start moving them around I only see 29 of the 30 timers. The scroll bar won't go all the way to the bottom and I can't see the last timer. The only way to see the last timer is to move another timer to the bottom of the list. OK, now I can see the previously hidden timer, but now the new one at the bottom is invisible! Still 29 out of 30 timers showing.

Also, please Dish just allow me to select a timer to move in the Priority list and then use the remote's up/down arrows to move the timer within the list to the desired location. It's cumbersome to have to go to the right and select Move Up/Move Down, etc. in that list over and over again. Just let me smoothly scroll the timer up and down the list as described in the previous sentence.

* Slider is not proportionate in the DVR listing of programs or the Timers areas. The bar does not reach the bottom of the screen even though the shows are at the bottom and there are no more to display. Reminds me of Windows and how it used to have non-proportionate scroll bars. This was fixed under S316, but it seems to be back again under S328.

* New to S328 the Search function is completely useless if you want to use your Search History.

Check it out:

1) If you Search for a show that is currently playing on any given channel by hitting the Search button, everything is fine, same for Searching by using the guide entry. These titles will be entered into the search history on a single line.

2) But, try typing a search string into the new interface and then look at your search History... it's a complete mess. For example, type this as a Search:

Tales of the riverbank

Now look at the Search History and you will see these entries in your History (each consuming one of the limited spots in the History list and each of these entries shoving other entries off of the list as needed to make room):

Tales of the riverbank

Tales of the riverban

Tales of the riverba

Tales of the riverb

Tales of the river

Tales of the rive

Tales of the riv

Tales of the ri

Tales of the r

Tales of the (this is here due to the space between "the" and the next word)

Tales of the

Tales of th

Tales of t

Tales of (this is here due to the space between "of" and the next word)

Tales of

Tales o

Tales (this is here due to the space between "Tales" and the next word)

Tales

Tale

Tal

Ta

T

That's 22 entries for this one search out of a total of 50 slots in the History list.

Tales of the riverbank should take exactly ONE line of the 50 available, not 22 lines.

* They removed the "More" button on the main Search entry screen that would add or move your current search string to the top of the list.

Now, there's no way to keep your valid searches on the list at all, or at the top of the list so they don't get shoved off. Under S316 if you went to your History and selected one of your predefined searches, it would be moved to the top of the list.

I regularly keep about 15-20 searches in my list to perform on a weekly basis. They have effectively killed any functional use of the search histoy in this latest release.

* There's still no way to delete a previous search from the list to make room for more searches, you just have to let things drop off the bottom of the list and keep moving predefined searches to the top of the list to prevent them from being dropped off the bottom, but you can't even do that anymore since the More option has been removed from the Search screen.

This needs to be fixed ASAP!

* They revamped the icons in the DVR section with new eye-candy folders and show icons, but they REMOVED the progress bar that showed what percentage you had watched of any given show.

I used this info all the time and now it's gone. If you don't remember what show you were previously watching, which was easily known via the progress bar, too bad just guess and maybe you'll happen to run across it eventually.

The only way I found the new progress bar's location is by selecting Info on each of your recordings. That way you can see where you left off, but come on, I have to do this every time I want to resume a show and there's maybe 60 shows to watch, potentially. I would have to Info every recording until I found one that I had partially watched previously and then Resume that show. Very, very tedious now with the lack of a Progress Bar on the recording's icon as it was under S316.

* Under S328, Sometimes when I enter the PT ANytime folder it just sits there with a blank screen. It doesn't say that there are no recordings to display nor does it show the actual recordings that are in that folder. If I re-enter the folder another 1-3 times, then it shows the contents of the folder correctly.

Edited by Bogey62, 03 December 2013 - 12:45 PM.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey

#25 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

Downloaded S328 two days ago, was out of town during the update launch.  Immediately after, hard drive failure (311).  I have a 2TB WD external HDD, and sling adapter on a Hopper 2000.  Probably unrelated, but just thought I'd see if anyone else had a 311 error immediately following the update.

#26 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,357 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

I generally don't keep an eye over here, but was alerted to this from an email blast and I have some Friends with Dish. I noticed that the title said Hopper2, do the two Hoppers follow the same feature set? I wasn't sure if someone with an original Hopper would get the update, or one like it with these updates.

#27 OFFLINE   mbolack

mbolack

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

My Joeys now have a program guide anomaly, too.  On my Hopper, when I'm set to My Channels, I see one of each channel.  If there is HD, then that is the one I see... if not, I see the non-HD choice.  But on the Joeys now, even though they are also set to My Channels, I see both versions of each channel.  It makes it take a lot more time to go up through the channels looking for something if I have to scroll past both TNT and TNT HD, for instance, on every channel that has a HD option.  Am I making sense?

Also, I notice that I have no way to close up the CD and music options that show between channel 073 and 097.  I *can* close the SXM ones directly above those.

#28 OFFLINE   mbolack

mbolack

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:01 PM

I also have to ask... doesn't it seem weird that after all the time we have spent asking for a choice as to what time our Hoppers do their update that once again they skipped this in favor of features that very few people give a hoot about?  Does anyone listen?

#29 OFFLINE   gilroykilroy

gilroykilroy

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:34 PM

I just tested several channels on my Hopper and it switches channels in about 2.5 seconds after I press the up/down arrow. I tried channels >100 and <100 (including all locals here in Buffalo). No issues.

Try Recall between two local HD channels.

Edited by gilroykilroy, 03 December 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   Tron2012

Tron2012

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

Glad I found this forum and topic. Been a long time Dish customer and hung out on the SatelliteGuys site to read/post issues and concerns. Especially with the new software releases. Nice to see that I'm NOT losing my mind with timers on the Hopper not saving recordings to the folder I specify in the timer. I've only seen this on our regular Hopper which has PTAT enabled (not our Hopper w/Sling) and it was happening prior to the new S418 release. I even deleted the timer and recreated with no luck. And since Dish decided to remove the nice "S" icon from the PTAT icons indicating a recordinfg was saved it's even more frustrating going back and forth between screens to be sure that nothing was dropped.

Edited by Tron2012, 03 December 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

Try Recall between two local HD channels.

I just used Recall between several different local HDs and everytime it switches in about 2 or 2.5 seconds, just like when I use the up/down channel buttons.

It's weired how some people see certain issues and others don't when using the same software version. I have reported issues that others say they don't see.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey

#32 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

Has anyone else noticed that when your EHD is on and you go to the DVR section with the system defaulted to My Folders and then you look at the contents of the EHD and return back to the main DVR screen it has switched to Folders by Title when it should return to the way you had it originally set (My Folders)? Yes, I know that was a long sentence. :)

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey

#33 OFFLINE   Bogey62

Bogey62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:46 AM

I was playing around with the EHD today and I noticed that when I go to transfer recordings from the Hopper to the EHD, not all of my shows appear in the list to be transferred!

If I set it to A-Z or DVR Date I get different results in what it displays for possible transfer. Neither of which displays all of the available content from my user-defined folders.

Bill (Bogey62)
Hopper w/Sling + Joey

#34 OFFLINE   JimD

JimD

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

Since the update, my HWS would not complete the startup. It said it was performing a test on the external hard drive - which never ended. After several hours of not being able to watch TV, I disconnected the EHD and restarted the HWS. Now it seems fine - but when I plug in the EHD it says it needs to format it and all content will be lost.

Wonderful. There was a boatload of stuff on that EHD. Now it's all lost?

Plus there was no warning or "heads-up" given that there was this new "HDMI-CEC" feature being implemented. My procedure for turning off all my equipment includes pressing the SAT button last and then pressing the power button to turn off the HWS. This was turning the TV back on. I thought my TV was possessed. :-)

I've disabled HDMI-CEC, it serves no useful purpose for me as they've implemented it. It would be nice if we could control what buttons do what when this feature is active.

#35 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:09 AM

Dish had a press release on this.

http://www.multichan...pper-dvr/146863

#36 OFFLINE   landis

landis

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

I got The newest Hopper with sling update S328 and am no longer to transfer recordings to my 1 Terrabyte EHD. I have a 500 Gig EHD which accepts transfers with no problem. On the larger EHD it stalls either part way through or at the end with 10 secs left. I've tried a number of times to no avail. Hope Dish is aware of this problem and does a fix soon. I have seen that others are having a similar problem

#37 OFFLINE   kstevens

kstevens

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:16 AM

I have this same problem.  I had to restart the Hopper to get it to work.  So far it hasn't failed again.

Ken

#38 OFFLINE   Transplanted Yankee

Transplanted Yankee

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:52 AM

Here's my updated list of issues that still remain from S315, S316 and continuing under S328 or are new under S328 (as noted):

(all Hopper issues unless otherwise noted):

* Folder count in the My Recordings section is ridiculously inaccurate. They seem to count DELETED shows too!

I can have a folder that says there are 5 recordings in it, but when I enter the folder there is nothing in there because I had deleted them at an earlier time or there are 3 recordings still there, etc. (existed since S315)

Same ridiculous issue as well.  It does appear to also count the deleted shows as well.

* Can't set update time, always kicks in at 1 am and I have to answer NO, then it will kick in a half hour to an hour later, etc. (Joey)

I cannot stand the fact that I am unable to change the default update time either.

* They revamped the icons in the DVR section with new eye-candy folders and show icons, but they REMOVED the progress bar that showed what percentage you had watched of any given show.

I used this info all the time and now it's gone. If you don't remember what show you were previously watching, which was easily known via the progress bar, too bad just guess and maybe you'll happen to run across it eventually.

The only way I found the new progress bar's location is by selecting Info on each of your recordings. That way you can see where you left off, but come on, I have to do this every time I want to resume a show and there's maybe 60 shows to watch, potentially. I would have to Info every recording until I found one that I had partially watched previously and then Resume that show. Very, very tedious now with the lack of a Progress Bar on the recording's icon as it was under S316.

Same stupid issue.  Additionally, it appears I've also lost the ability when watching a recorded show to bring up the screen showing show info indicating the remaining time left on that recording...It's just not there any more.

Other issues noticed in my recent "upgrade" from 3 722's to 2 HWS and 1 Joey.

The ability, or more to the point limitation, to create only 5 Folders is absolutely ridiculous beyond explaination.  Five folders...Seriously!!!

Having recordings setup on a schedule, and then going into the folder containing those shows results in a shotgun blasted storage bin of recorded shows.  It's an absolute pain when I have, say 7 like recorded shows amoung many others within one folder, to have to go through all 7 seperate icons to find the show I want to watch.

I cannot agree enough with your statement to have like shows collapsed within one show icon, showing the number of shows within that collapsed icon.

My wife says that I have never met a tool I haven’t liked. People on the other hand......

spam firewall