Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Roamio

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

FiOS. Roamio. Awesome.

Enough said.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

Can the Roamio do On Demand from FiOS, or is that still a limitation? Because if it is, then not so awesome for this household. 

#3 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

No FiOS OnDemand, but can do Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu. For Amazon it gets linked to your account and you can download purchased content. For Netflix, it's your regular Netflix account with the Netflix app. Also does YouTube, with DIAL support.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,173 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

As I understand it, Roamio (better, Roameo?) is not provider-specific, e.g., Verizon FiOS. Perhaps this thread s/b moved to a more provider-neutral forum. What say you, oh wise ones?

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

Yep, there's already a thread: http://www.dbstalk.c...ivo-roamio-dvr/

Just figured would mention the goodness with FiOS, but do agree, it's certainly cross provider.

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,653 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

Anyone hear any word on cable card II that was eventually supposed to hit and solve the Video On Demand issue with cable cards? Or is it dead and buried?

#7 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

TiVo has a way of providing cable company on demand to their customers.  The limitation in this case is Fios.  Comcast for example has on demand for retail Premiers and Roamios.

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#8 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

As I understand it, Roamio (better, Roameo?) is not provider-specific, e.g., Verizon FiOS. Perhaps this thread s/b moved to a more provider-neutral forum. What say you, oh wise ones?

The difference being the TiVo with FIOS service does not require the dreaded tuning adapter like you would need with most any other cable provider.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#9 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

TiVo has a way of providing cable company on demand to their customers.  The limitation in this case is Fios.  Comcast for example has on demand for retail Premiers and Roamios.

That would be a game changer for sure ...  the reason I haven't even looked at a TiVo with my FiOS is because of the On Demand... my son uses it ALL THE TIME.

#10 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:03 AM

Well, I've had a couple Roamios going with FiOS for a few days now. What I was sure would be a limited trial run has quickly become a full-blown obsession. As the man above said. Fios. Roamio. Awesome. 

#11 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:26 AM

Well, I've had a couple Roamios going with FiOS for a few days now. What I was sure would be a limited trial run has quickly become a full-blown obsession. As the man above said. Fios. Roamio. Awesome.

Yep, I'm going on several weeks now. Very nice.

#12 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

Hey Sixto, since you seem to know these things, can you help me with an issue I'm having? (I posted it in the Tivo forums too.)

Here's the setup. Have a Roamio Pro, Roamio Plus and a Mini. The Roamio Pro is connected with a coax and ethernet cable, MOCA connection enabled so that the Plus and Mini can simply connect through coax. The Tivos communicate properly. The Mini hiccups at times, but I've read that might happen. 

The problem is with my FiOS internet connection. 

I've had it for several years and it has been rock solid. No dropped signals, weird disconnects, nothing. However, since installing the Tivos, something is up. While I still receive fast speeds, the signal goes in-and-out with alarming frequency. This happens with the hardwired connection on the Actiontech Router, the wireless connection on the Actiontech Router and the wireless connection on our Airport Extreme, which is placed in Bridge Mode and has been for a couple years. As I mentioned, I've have never had any issues with this setup before introducing the Tivos into the equation.

Also, I probably should have mentioned that the Actiontech is provisioned for ethernet, if that makes a difference. I have a Cat 6 cable connected the ONT and the Actiontech. (There's a coax connection to the Actiontech too, but I thought that was for the FiOS guide and On Demand content for its DVRs/STBs.)

Any ideas, suggestions or solutions? As somebody that does a lot of work at home, I need my FiOS internet to go back to what it was. Thanks in advance. 

#13 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

Be careful, with FiOS you don't want the Roamio to do both Ethernet and MoCA, since the Actiontec already provides network access via MoCA within the house if you have a coax connection from the ONT to the Actiontec.

In your scenario, the Roamio would be on your home network via Ethernet, it then would also be on your network via MoCA because the Actiontec natively supports MoCA over that same coax. That's a problem.

Remove the Ethernet cable and your problem may go away.

#14 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

Be careful, with FiOS you don't want the Roamio to do both Ethernet and MoCA, since the Actiontec already provides network access via MoCA within the house if you have a coax connection from the ONT to the Actiontec.

In your scenario, the Roamio would be on your home network via Ethernet, it then would also be on your network via MoCA because the Actiontec natively supports MoCA over that same coax. That's a problem.

Remove the Ethernet cable and your problem may go away.

I'll give that a shot, thanks. (However, what about the setting on the Roamio to make it a Moca Bridge - or something like that, can't recall the specific wording right now - in order for the Mini to access it? Are you saying that's not necessary in this case?)

#15 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

With FiOS, you don't need a MoCA bridge, the FiOS Actiontec router is the MoCA bridge.

The FiOS Actiontec router provides home network / internet access to every device on the coax as long as the Actiontec router is connected by coax to the ONT.

Think of it this way ...

If the Actiontec router is coax connected to the ONT, then it's providing home network/internet access to any MoCA compliant device on the coax.

If the Actiontec router is Ethernet connected to other devices, including any switches, then it's providing home network/internet access to those Ethernet devices.

You should not have any device that is both coax connected with MoCA enabled and Ethernet connected, because then those devices would be connected to the same home network twice, and that is not good. :)

#16 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

With FiOS, you don't need a MoCA bridge, the FiOS Actiontec router is the MoCA bridge.

The FiOS Actiontec router provides home network / internet access to every device on the coax as long as the Actiontec router is connected by coax to the ONT.

Think of it this way ...

If the Actiontec router is coax connected to the ONT, then it's providing home network/internet access to any MoCA compliant device on the coax.

If the Actiontec router is Ethernet connected to other devices, including any switches, then it's providing home network/internet access to those Ethernet devices.

You should not have any device that is both coax connected with MoCA enabled and Ethernet connected, because then those devices would be connected to the same home network twice, and that is not good. :)

Gotcha.

You know, the Tivo setup poster is a little unclear about the whole MoCA thing. I knew that's what FiOS used, but in the break out green box it read like you were supposed to connect an ethernet cable to the primary Roamio - as well as the coax - to enable MoCA.

Anyway, I've disconnected the ethernet cable from the Roamio. I'll see what transpires now. Thanks again.

#17 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

You can also have some devices on Ethernet and some on MoCA, they still can all talk.

Personally, I like to have all the TV devices on one or the other, because they're all then not bridging from one form to another thru the router, but it works either way.

#18 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

You can also have some devices on Ethernet and some on MoCA, they still can all talk.

Personally, I like to have all the TV devices on one or the other, because they're all then not bridging from one form to another thru the router, but it works either way.

Yeah, in a perfect world I'd have everything ethernet, but that won't work for the current and future Mini. So MoCA it is for the Tivos.

#19 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

Yeah, in a perfect world I'd have everything ethernet, but that won't work for the current and future Mini. So MoCA it is for the Tivos.

Yep, I started with all MoCA, then I tested Ethernet and got 200Mbps for recording transfers between Roamio's and I switched, but both are fine for streaming.

#20 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Network-wise, everything is working great since disconnecting the Ethernet. Let me ask you though - what are your SNR readings? Mine are all 42 or 41. I've always had minor pixelation and hiccups with the FiOS DVRs, but never thought it could be related to a too hot SNR. I've been reading that 42 might be way too hot for Tivo and I'm wondering if that's why I'm seeing what I would describe as increased pixelation on some channels. Thinking of adding in a splitter or two before the Roamio to knock back the SNR.

spam firewall