Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is it possible to just 'get over' TV? To burn out on it?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,558 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

My TV hasn't even been on all day and wasn't on much of the last three or four days. During the evenings, much of the time it was on one of the Dish CD channels rather than typical programming.

I don't watch reality/fakeality stuff.

I don't watch celebrity gossip stuff.

I don't watch talk shows in any flavor.

I don't watch anything that glorifies violence, crime or drug manufacturing.

I'm older than twelve, so the monsters and zombies and ghost stories are of no interest anymore.

I watch some sitcoms and some real reality/documentary type stuff but it seems like a lot of that is rehashes or retreatments (How many times can you do a story on a comet crashing into a planet?).

I have a bunch of DVDs I've bought recently in anticipation of shutting Dish down soon, but most of them are still sealed.

I have a boatload of broadcast TV recorded on two or three HDDs, but I really haven't been watching any of that.

There's some kind of problem with my OTA antennae setup where I don't get a signal at all. I think the mast mounted amp died. This was probably three months ago and I haven't even bothered to look into the problem yet.

I even get tired of the Dish CD channel sometimes and start up Media Player to run some of the stuff saved on the PC.

I'm beginning to wonder if I even need a TV since most of what I've mentioned could be played back on one of the computer screens.

Edited by SayWhat?, 24 November 2013 - 04:40 PM.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,910 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

So cancel, then.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

For a period of about thirty years when I was leaving out of this country I watch very little television and I miss little of it. It is like giving up smoking after two weeks. When I did come back after twelve years I was like a kid in a candy store especially after getting a DVR. So it can be done. I am just waiting for a good excuse to stop watching again.

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

HERESY !!!!!

:coffee

#5 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

HERESY !!!!!

Yep.

:coffee

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

Probably you're not going to buy a 4K TV..... :)... 

Yes, it's possible, and I am sure you're hardly unique in that. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:25 AM

Are you trying to tell me that there is no compelling content on television for you to watch? Same here.

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

Do I think that it's possible for someone raised on TV to give it up? Anything's possible. I think it unlikely for anyone over 35. However, for Millennials, linear TV (aka "what's on now") is just one form of entertainment, and it doesn't make a lot of sense in a world filled with on-demand alternatives. I think the next decade will be incredibly challenging for linear TV of all kinds, whether broadcast or pay-TV.

I know that I spend less time watching linear TV than ever (probably under one hour a day) but I supplement it with recorded TV and streaming.

There was a time when we thought that newspapers, the US Mail, and landline phones would always be a part of our lives, and linear TV may just be the next thing to be marginalized.

When I make statements like that, I'm reminded by industry insiders (who have the most to lose) that about 48% of Americans have no other entertainment choice at home other than linear TV. They don't have broadband internet fast enough to stream and they don't have a DVR. When I ask what percentage of those folks are under 35, the room gets quiet.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,440 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

Are you trying to tell me that there is no compelling content on television for you to watch? Same here.

The new season's shows don't seem to be all that good.  I have yet to see one that blew my doors off.  There are a few that we haven't watched yet.  

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

The only new show we have adopted is "The Blacklist". We tried a couple of episodes of the new Robin Williams show, but I found it grating. I used to watch a lot of sit-coms 20 or 30 years ago when they were actually funny. Now, not so much.

We also don't watch any so-called "reality shows," although we make an exception for some competition shows that don't have celebrities as contestants.

No crime/violence or blood and gore. We'll watch The Daily Show and the Colbert Report, which are sort of "talk shows" or more properly "variety programming" as the Emmy Award category is known.

We're mostly down to "light" spy/detective/lawyer dramas like Castle and Covert Affairs (and the late Burn Notice, and not-so-late Boston Legal), and live sports.

Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#11 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

This thread might be surrounded by peasants with with pitchforks and torches.

:eek2:

#12 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

This thread might be surrounded by peasants with with pitchforks and torches.

:eek2:

Just in case I am changing my location to USA. :)

#13 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

The new season's shows don't seem to be all that good.  I have yet to see one that blew my doors off.  There are a few that we haven't watched yet.  

Rich

Rich, give "the Blacklist", and "Almost Human" a go...I find them both enjoyable...I even enjoy "Sleepy Hollow"  but I understand its not everyone's cup of tea...its on FOX its probably not gonna make it anyway.  :rotfl:

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,440 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

Rich, give "the Blacklist", and "Almost Human" a go...I find them both enjoyable...I even enjoy "Sleepy Hollow"  but I understand its not everyone's cup of tea...its on FOX its probably not gonna make it anyway.  :rotfl:

I'm waiting to  get started on The Blacklist and we do watch and enjoy Almost Human.  We watched a few episodes of Sleepy Hollow and got kinda tired of it.  Still recording it, I'll try it again in a few weeks.  

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,558 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

See, that's how out of TV I am.  I have no idea what any of those shows are about, who's in them, when they're on or what network.  And no desire to find out either.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#16 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,910 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

Again I ask... why not just cancel?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#17 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

Or at least suspend while you see how you do without it.

Edited by bidger, 27 November 2013 - 06:46 PM.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#18 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

Do I think that it's possible for someone raised on TV to give it up? Anything's possible. I think it unlikely for anyone over 35. However, for Millennials, linear TV (aka "what's on now") is just one form of entertainment, and it doesn't make a lot of sense in a world filled with on-demand alternatives. I think the next decade will be incredibly challenging for linear TV of all kinds, whether broadcast or pay-TV.I know that I spend less time watching linear TV than ever (probably under one hour a day) but I supplement it with recorded TV and streaming.There was a time when we thought that newspapers, the US Mail, and landline phones would always be a part of our lives, and linear TV may just be the next thing to be marginalized.When I make statements like that, I'm reminded by industry insiders (who have the most to lose) that about 48% of Americans have no other entertainment choice at home other than linear TV. They don't have broadband internet fast enough to stream and they don't have a DVR. When I ask what percentage of those folks are under 35, the room gets quiet.

I have been wondering about the "linear" model for some time now. We almost never watch TV "live+same day." We do watch a lot in the "same week" but I record enough content to fill in like during holidays and summers.

The question for me is what do we watch if the "schedule" doesn't provide some sense of "what's on that we might enjoy." And how are content producers going to find revenue producing audiences?

It's going to interesting.
  • Laxguy likes this

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#19 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

We almost never watch "live+same day" except for sports. I turn on a football game about 1.5-2 hours after the start time so I can skip through all the dead time between plays and watch the whole thing in a little over an hour. Everything else is usually the next day, so we can take advantage of Autohop.

It's kind of funny, years ago, back when we had a 622, before we went down to watch TV, my GF would ask "what's in the hopper?" so she could pick what we watched. Now we actually have a "Hopper", and she just wants to know what we have [available] to watch.

Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Two completely different meanings, both applicable....nice! 

I watch FB mostly that way, too, but assumed I was doing it in a half hour, maybe 40 minutes, but often it was done concurrently with other games or shows. May have to time myself one day!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall