Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Where to find 1st quarter of Cowboys/Giants game

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

So FOX decided to not start their "America's Game of The Week" until after the lowly Vikings/Packers finished their boring game in a tie.

We miss the entire first quarter of the Cowboys/Giants game.  Anyone know where to view the 1st quarter without having to pay extra for it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,927 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

I thought there were rules about that? And careful about the Packers, we have owners among our ranks :)

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,234 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

Yes, that was great to see the end of that game. Otherwise, it would have cost me $44 to see it. Hoping for an Aaron Rogers return, soon!!

Once a game has started, and I have heard the score, I don't care about seeing that which I didn't, but I try to minimize those instances. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   Rangers94

Rangers94

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

So FOX decided to not start their "America's Game of The Week" until after the lowly Vikings/Packers finished their boring game in a tie.

We miss the entire first quarter of the Cowboys/Giants game.  Anyone know where to view the 1st quarter without having to pay extra for it?

NFL Network shows replays of games during the week.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

I never bothered to look... but I'm surprised FOX themselves didn't have a free live stream on their Web site because of the early game overrun.

I actually was fine watching the overtime, because at the time I kind of thought the Dallas vs New York game might not be competitive...  turns out I was wrong about that and it was a good game after all.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

I am guessing someone at Fox screwed up.  My 'local' game over and they switched around 4:10pm to the Vikings-Packers game.  I am in PA, so this game was not my regional game, but simply bonus coverage.  Why FOX stayed with this game until the end when the Cowboys/Giants 'Game of the Week' started @ 4:25pm.. I don't know.  I figured everyone would be switched over at 4:25, other than those who were in the MN and GB markets.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,234 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

I am guessing someone at Fox screwed up.  My 'local' game over and they switched around 4:10pm to the Vikings-Packers game.  I am in PA, so this game was not my regional game, but simply bonus coverage.  Why FOX stayed with this game until the end when the Cowboys/Giants 'Game of the Week' started @ 4:25pm.. I don't know.  I figured everyone would be switched over at 4:25, other than those who were in the MN and GB markets.

Also out of that market, but what a bonus for me! I can see why they stayed there- an exciting 4th Q. Perhaps it was also contractual. 

#8 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

It was an interesting end (they switched while still in the 4th quarter, not knowing the game would go until just shy of 5pm), but why would switching all markets to this game for bonus coverage be part of the NFL/Fox contract?  Can I assume that the Dallas and NYC markets switched to their game @ 4:25pm?

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,234 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

Assume nothing when it comes to coverage of FB! :)

But it sounds right, your assumption... so, where are our 'Boys and Gi'nts fans? Wha' happened? Pipe up!

#10 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

I was pissed living in Giant Eagle territory , that we were forced to watch Vikings and Packers.
I don't get that BC shut that crap off and put my local game on!

#11 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

Can I assume that the Dallas and NYC markets switched to their game @ 4:25pm?

NO they didn't, we got the same as you. Missed first Quarter. I was pissed!

That was Fox 56 for me out of Scranton Wilkes Barre.
Even if I had ST Giants Dallas would have been blacked out on ST.
I'm an Eagles Fan, so I didn't want to miss Dallas /Giants.

#12 ONLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

Can I assume that the Dallas and NYC markets switched to their game @ 4:25pm?

I was wondering the same thing. I read this thread at the506:

http://www.the506.co...63158#msg563158

but nobody there (or in this thread) notes what KDFW in Dallas or what KNYW in New York did at 4:25. I assume they switched to DAL/NYG but I'm curious if anyone here can confirm.

#13 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

I've never understood how someone can watch a sporting event on a tape delayed basis.

Even if I don't know the score/outcome, the fact that millions of people already do keeps me from watching it.

Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#14 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

NO they didn't, we got the same as you. Missed first Quarter. I was pissed!

That was Fox 56 for me out of Scranton Wilkes Barre.

Even though there are a lot of Giants fans in NEPA, to the NFL it is considered an Eagles market. The NFL rarely, if ever, assigns a market more than one team in a conference. For Scranton/Wilkes-Barre it is the Eagles for NFC and Steelers for AFC, which also results in the occasional mess where when the Eagles and Steelers are both playing on CBS at the same time, only the Steelers game is seen since the AFC gets priority on CBS. WOLF-TV usually does a good job at carrying Giants games whenever possible, but if Fox decides to offer it to the home markets only and air something else nationally or the Giants have the late game on Fox while CBS has the doubleheader that week, they cannot air it. For example Fox 56 didn't get the delayed Monday night game after the Metrodome caved in a few years ago and none of our local stations pick up the syndicated preseason games while Albany, which is considered Giants territory, gets them.

Fox 5 in NYC got the Giants/Dallas from the start.

As for the Sunday Ticket blackout locally, I don't have it either, so I can't say for sure. Did you actually ask anyone locally who does have it if they got the game on Sunday Ticket or are you just assuming they didn't?

Edited by KyL416, 26 November 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

We got the whole game from the beginning in the Dallas DMA.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#16 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

Even though there are a lot of Giants fans in NEPA, to the NFL it is considered an Eagles market. The NFL rarely, if ever, assigns a market more than one team in a conference. For Scranton/Wilkes-Barre it is the Eagles for NFC and Steelers for AFC, which also results in the occasional mess where when the Eagles and Steelers are both playing on CBS at the same time, only the Steelers game is seen since the AFC gets priority on CBS. WOLF-TV usually does a good job at carrying Giants games whenever possible, but if Fox decides to offer it to the home markets only and air something else nationally or the Giants have the late game on Fox while CBS has the doubleheader that week, they cannot air it. For example Fox 56 didn't get the delayed Monday night game after the Metrodome caved in a few years ago and none of our local stations pick up the syndicated preseason games while Albany, which is considered Giants territory, gets them.

Fox 5 in NYC got the Giants/Dallas from the start.

As for the Sunday Ticket blackout locally, I don't have it either, so I can't say for sure. Did you actually ask anyone locally who does have it if they got the game on Sunday Ticket or are you just assuming they didn't?

If Eagles aren't on, Giants are next in line!

How do you know fox 5 had it?

#17 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

Yes it was blacked out , Because in the Guide fox 56 said Giants Cowboys.

Which means this game was put on locally. NFL ST is always blacked out when your locals are playing the games.

#18 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

If Eagles aren't on, Giants are next in line!

That doesn't change the fact that our DMA is considered Eagles territory and not Giants. If the local team isn't playing the NFL lets the affiliate choose the game, provided it doesn't conflict (i.e. they can't choose an out of market late game when Fox doesn't have the double header that week). WOLF usually chooses the Giants, Jets or Steelers if the Eagles are not playing, while some Fox affiliates with no local ties to any team playing on Fox that week lets their viewers vote in a poll during the week. But if a game is designated to start only in the local markets while the rest of the nation remains with an earlier national game, they have to stick with the national game.

How do you know fox 5 had it?

Because I used to live there and I'm regularly in touch with my friends who still live there, especially during Giants games.

Yes it was blacked out , Because in the Guide fox 56 said Giants Cowboys.

Which means this game was put on locally. NFL ST is always blacked out when your locals are playing the games.

That's not how Sunday Ticket or its blackouts work. It is not tied to what the guide says, if Fox decides to switch most of the country to a different game midrun because of a blowout, the schedule still has the original game listed, just like how the schedule doesn't change every 3 minutes when your game ends early and Fox jumps around to different games until the final game finishes and it's time for the postgame show. DirecTV, the NFL, Fox, CBS and their affiliates communicate to eachother in real time if they're going to switch games. There's a thread at Solid Signal that went behind the scenes of how Sunday Ticket is produced, you should take a look at it.

Edited by KyL416, 26 November 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#19 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

You must not ever had sunday ticket. It's a well known fact if a game is on locally it can't be watched on Sundays ticket. It's blacked out.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#20 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

You must not ever had sunday ticket. It's a well known fact if a game is on locally it can't be watched on Sundays ticket. It's blacked out.

You must have misread my post, I never said that Sunday Ticket has games that air locally. I said the blackouts have NOTHING to do with the guide says, it's based on what is ACTUALLY airing. If Fox switches the game midrun because of a blowout, the blackout is lifted on the Sunday ticket channel, even if the guide says the original game is still airing locally. DirecTV, NFL, Fox, CBS and the local affiliates are in constant communication with eachother to lift blackouts when games switch, it has NOTHING to do with what a guide that was last updated Friday evening says.

You really should take a look at the behind the scenes look Solid Signal did:
http://forums.solids...t-Center-(LABC)

Edited by KyL416, 26 November 2013 - 06:55 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...