Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problems Transferring Recordings

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   js0873

js0873

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

I have a hard drive problem with my Hopper (error 311) and a new replacement is on its way. For the most part everything still works fine, though. That is, I can view everything on my DVR. However, some recordings (not all) simply won't transfer over to my external hard disk. Others don't even show in the transfer list. When I start some transfers they'll get almost all the way through (saying it has 2 or 3 seconds to go) and then it won't progress beyond that. I can't stop the transfer at that point either. The stop button doesn't respond. I can still do most everything else with the receiver, watch live & recorded shows, but if I want to try another transfer I have to reboot the receiver. Does anyone have any idea why these transfers commonly stop with just a second or 2 to go? Are there any workarounds or things to potentially correct hard disk errors, similar to doing a CHKDSK on a PC hard drive? Is there any way to break the frozen transfer other than rebooting? Any workarounds at all?  Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tibbyjr

tibbyjr

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

I have the same problem on my hopper in the living room , but I can hook the EHD to the bedroom hopper and the EHD works fine and this started with the new update.

#3 OFFLINE   js0873

js0873

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

I have the same problem on my hopper in the living room , but I can hook the EHD to the bedroom hopper and the EHD works fine and this started with the new update.

Well, I'm sure my problem is with the Hopper's HD integrity and not related to the EHD. What I want is to be able, somehow, the copy recordings off of it.

#4 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:11 PM

Please provide your receiver number, the title you attempted to transfer that did not transfer with the channel number the recording recorded from, the remaining time left for the transfer, and if you receiver is IP connected.  Please PM this information to me.  Thanks.

Well, I'm sure my problem is with the Hopper's HD integrity and not related to the EHD. What I want is to be able, somehow, the copy recordings off of it.

#5 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Please PM me the information I requested from js0872, also so I can assist you further.  Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   MattInTucson

MattInTucson

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

I just got the Hopper today and I'm trying to connect the external drive my 722 recordings were copied to. The only way to get it to even think a drive is there is to connect the drive with the power on, unplug the receiver, and then it will show up. The problem though is it shows up as a 0 MB drive with 0 MB free and won't show any of my shows. Called support and got "it's a known issue" but no resolution. Please tell me I didn't just lose all of my family's shows.

#7 OFFLINE   js0873

js0873

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

I just got the Hopper today and I'm trying to connect the external drive my 722 recordings were copied to. The only way to get it to even think a drive is there is to connect the drive with the power on, unplug the receiver, and then it will show up. The problem though is it shows up as a 0 MB drive with 0 MB free and won't show any of my shows. Called support and got "it's a known issue" but no resolution. Please tell me I didn't just lose all of my family's shows.

I've had the same problem, but I'm able to move it to another Hopper and see the recordings just fine. I'm virutally positive that you've lost nothing.

#8 OFFLINE   MattInTucson

MattInTucson

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

Left it turned off but attached for an hour or so and when I went back to it everything was fine! Yay - my family won't kill me now...

#9 OFFLINE   Garden Branch

Garden Branch

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPaintsville, KY

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

I am having the exact same problem here.  When the transfer of the first recording gets down to about 2 or 3 seconds left then the transfer process just freezes up.  The STOP button does not work.  You can return to LIVE TV.  When you select the EHD from the menu options it just shows up with the same screen showing the transfer in progress with 2 seconds to go.  You can reset the Hopper and it will stop this cycle.  However it will do it again as soon as you try to transfer another recording to the EHD.  This is something that all of the sudden started.  The receiver used to transfer recording fine.  I am going to connect the EHD to another Hopper in my daughters bedroom and see if it works OK.  Any help would also be greatly appreciated here.

Thanks

#10 OFFLINE   js0873

js0873

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

I am having the exact same problem here.  When the transfer of the first recording gets down to about 2 or 3 seconds left then the transfer process just freezes up.  The STOP button does not work.  You can return to LIVE TV.  When you select the EHD from the menu options it just shows up with the same screen showing the transfer in progress with 2 seconds to go.  You can reset the Hopper and it will stop this cycle.  However it will do it again as soon as you try to transfer another recording to the EHD.  This is something that all of the sudden started.  The receiver used to transfer recording fine.  I am going to connect the EHD to another Hopper in my daughters bedroom and see if it works OK.  Any help would also be greatly appreciated here.

Thanks

All I can tell you is that I was never able to resolve it. Those recordings where it did that were obviously lost when I got my replacement receiver. I tried numerous things to get them to copy but nothing was ever successful.

#11 OFFLINE   hejohnmeyer3

hejohnmeyer3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

For what it's worth, I'm having very similar problem.  I haven't had any issue with transferring recordings from Hopper to EHD, but I've had some issues with transferring recordings from EHD back to Hopper.  It'll appear to be transferring, then the countdown will get to 1 second remaining, and then just stop.  I have to reboot either Hopper or EHD to get back to normal.  I haven't lost any recordings, yet, but it is a nuisance.

And, it doesn't happen with every recording, but only about 50% of them.  I also haven't been able to figure out the pattern of why some work and some don't.  I actually had two movies recorded back to back off of TCM, and one would transfer and the other wouldn't.

#12 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

Is there cover art on your EHD for these events that stall on the transfer? How about the events that successfully transfer? Do they have cover art?

#13 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

I'm having similar problems.  In my case, I have 2 EHD's connected and they both worked fine for several months.  I could transfer and playback programs from either EHD.  Now all of a sudden starting a week or two ago, only one of my EHD's show up and when I try to transfer programs to it, the transfer process will start and then get hung up and never complete.  The only way to clear it is to reboot.  I can occasionally get one program to transfer to one of the EHDs, but if I queue up two or more programs to transfer, it will hang up consistently.  A new Hopper is being sent my way, but this doesn't sound like a hardware issue to me.  

John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#14 OFFLINE   TxDave

TxDave

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

Same thing here, transfers hang up with a few seconds to go. I'm hoping that is a software issue and the will fix soon. I'd hate to have to replace this hopper and try to transfer the whole hard drive one show at a time.

#15 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

Known software issue to be fixed soon. :)

#16 OFFLINE   TxDave

TxDave

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

Thanks, That's good to know.

#17 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

The software spool started last night. Some people have the new label and are saying the EHD problem has indeed been fixed.

#18 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

It looks like a version hit the street for the Hoppers with Slings, but how about those of us without Slings.  I'm still showing an older s/w version.

John

John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#19 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

It rolled out to Hopper and HWS. Roll outs always start slow so it looks like you weren't on the first group of targeted receivers. 

#20 OFFLINE   hejohnmeyer3

hejohnmeyer3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

To answer an earlier question, it was the recordings with cover art from the actual program that WOULD transfer successfully.  While the recordings with generic cover art only of the channel they were recorded from WOULD NOT transfer successfully.  My sample size was only about 8 recordings, but that's what would happen.

I'll wait for the new software upgrade to see if that solves the problem.

spam firewall