Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How many series can Series Manager on HR44-500 (Genie) hold?

hr44-500 hr44-500_genie series_manager_size_limit series_manager

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GoHurdler1

GoHurdler1

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

Hello All,

I recently had an HR44-500 (Genie) installed. My old HD-DVR is the HR22-100, which I have kept to add as part of the Whole Home DVR Service. The HR22-100’s Series Manager could only hold a maximum of 50 series. How many series can the Series Manager in the HR44-500 (Genie) hold?  I have seen different answers online from 50 only to 100 (on HR34) because it has a 1 terabyte hard drive. DirecTV customer service hasn’t been very helpful. They just seem to be guessing from their answers to me and then I had to rephrase the question because they thought I meant how many HD hours of programs the DVR could record.

Yes, I actually want the size limit to be more than 50 series because it’s a waste of time and just flat out annoying to have to delete multiple series so you can then add a new series, and then you can’t find the deleted series again until they are about to go back on the air again.

So how many series can the Series Manager hold on the HR44-500 (Genie)?

:hair:

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,543 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:17 AM

Laxguy is right. And you can add Series that aren't even on the schedule yet as well. I just added Intelligence, coming in January.

And I can't believe how fast we hit 100 series links! We still have to delete stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#4 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:21 AM

DVR's and houses. I have found that every time I move up in size, I find a way to fill them.

Laxguy is right. And you can add Series that aren't even on the schedule yet as well. I just added Intelligence, coming in January.

And I can't believe how fast we hit 100 series links! We still have to delete stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

• Supramom2000 likes this

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

I still use boolean searches.....allowing me to combine many shows into 1 series link...I probably can get close to 150 shows to auto-record in that 50 series link limit....

Let's say you watch several shows on FX like this:

AANY JUSTIFIED ANARCHY AMERICANS TTITLE CCHANS 248

There are 3 shows in 1 link right there...

#6 OFFLINE   stefanis

stefanis

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:50 PM

I know this thread is a bit old but, CCarncross, what do you mean by Boolean search? Years, nay EAONS, ago I traded my SD DirecTivo in for the then new DirecTV DVR. After having it for two days I sent it back and reactivated the Tivo. I kept that Tivo until the MP4 HD DirecTivo came out because the DTV DVR sucked so bad, but I really want the 5 tuners and the whole home DVR features that simply will never come to DirecTivo. 

The only thing holding me back from getting a Genie is the 100 slot limit for auto recording. The Tivo is effectively limitless, and between my wife, my son, and my self we have over 150 shows that we watch over the course of the four seasons. So if I can set up a single slot to catch all of the shows on one channel that would enable me to switch since we only watch a couple of handfulls of the bazillion channels available.

Can you tell me how the Boolean search works, and is it available on the current crop of regular DTV DVRs? My son has one, so I could try it out if it is.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:07 PM

I know this thread is a bit old but, CCarncross, what do you mean by Boolean search? 

Boolean search is not native to DIRECTV® is a "standard".  google is your friend, but I found this 

http://www.lib.berke...net/Boolean.pdf

this is only supported on HDDVRs and the R22 SD DDVR

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,543 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:11 PM

If you do get a Genie, most of us here at DBStalk recommend keeping an additional DVR for back up.  You could set up 100 Series Links on the Genie and 50 on the other receiver.  If your TIVO is with Direct TV, you can still keep it while upgrading, can't you?

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:38 PM

Boolean search is not native to DIRECTV is a "standard". google is your friend, but I found this

http://www.lib.berke...net/Boolean.pdf

this is only supported on HDDVRs and the R22 SD DDVR

Or he could follow the link in my signature and get a full explanation on how DIRECTV implements them and how to use them.

#10 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

Or he could follow the link in my signature and get a full explanation on how DIRECTV implements them and how to use them.

Very helpful, actually.  Thanks!

Although I am nowhere close to reaching the 100 limit, I believe I finally found a use case for Advanced Search recording:

• I record ATH and PTI on ESPN (206);
  • However, sometimes the shows air on ESPN2 (209) due to programming on 206 and in the past I have missed the shows;
  • So my solution was to also record them on ESPN2, so now I am almost always getting double recordings (no issues, because I have the space and I'd rather not miss the shows);
  • But isn't a Boolean search a better solution in this case?  If so, is the following syntax the correct syntax for my needs?
    • AANY HORN PARDON TTITLE CCHAN 206 209

Also, would the new feature to record Seasons be a (better/simpler) solution?

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:51 PM

CCHANS should be used instead of CChan. I think the season record option is channel agnostic.

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:36 AM

Yes use CCHANS. I swear we fixed that once previously. And the new seasons one should supply you with the same shows actually, it is basically the same thing as a Boolean only a simple way for the masses to use them...

#13 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:19 AM

Ok, thanks!

In the FAQ it uses CCHAN, so thanks for also clarifying that it should be CCHANS.

#14 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:22 PM

So I tried the Advanced Search for ATH and PTI and it didn't turn out well for those shows:  It was scheduling to record the repeats--even on the same channel!

Next, I tried All Seasons...and that was even worse!  I'm thinking that it doesn't work well for shows like these because they're not like regular shows that have real seasons and episodes.

In both cases above, I tried to fine-tune with setting the option to record First Runs only, but that didn't help, either, unfortunately.

Anyway, I decided to go back to my specific-channel series recording (206 and 209 for both shows) and then my To-Do List for both shows was back to normal.

Edited by nuspieds, 23 December 2014 - 05:23 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:46 PM

You should have let them be and seen what they actually did. ;). As long as some sort of guide data exists that differentiates one from the next it won't record every repeat of the same show. And you can't actually see that kind of info.

#16 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:12 PM

inkahauts, on 23 Dec 2014 - 8:46 PM, said:

You should have let them be and seen what they actually did. ;).

Actually, I did and it really was a disaster! :)

Though I was skeptical when I saw the To-Do List, I was holding out hope that things would "clean themselves up" by the time of the recording but, in the end, it did exactly what was listed in in the To-Do List.

In any case, especially since I'm not even close to reaching my Series recording capacity, it is no big deal for me to use additional entries to get the shows recorded properly.  It was a good experience to try out the Advanced Search and if the opportunity presents itself again in the future, I will definitely be trying it again.

#17 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,906 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted Yesterday, 05:45 PM

I'm using the following advanced searches with CCHAN and it works fine:

AANY NCIS BANG HAWAII MENTALIST CSI TTITLE CCHAN 8

I have about ten of these set up for various series on specific channels (always a single channel) and I have used CCHAN every time.

I assumed that CCHANS was for multiple channels.

Could someone fill me in on this, please?

Also, did they ever fix the OTA channel selection bug (so I can enter 8-1 instead of 8 and get the OTA (local HD)  to record. I checked today and several that I set up without the -1, did not record the OTA by default (as was suggested earlier in the long thread about boolean searches. (and yes, I do have fully functioning AM21s on all my HD-DVRs)

As I test, I changed one of my searches to a -1 station and I'll watch what happens. 

While I do have a 100 series links available with the HR44, I am having fun experimenting with the  advanced search and it will come in handy on the HR24 with a 50 limit.

I have also noticed that the ToDo list updates terribly slowly, if at all, but the recordings are happening as they should. This has been talked about here for at least 5 years, and not just limited to advanced searches.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me on the OTA advanced searches. I'd like to set nearly all of my "network" programming to OTA where possible.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:18 PM

I'm using the following advanced searches with CCHAN and it works fine:

AANY NCIS BANG HAWAII MENTALIST CSI TTITLE CCHAN 8

I have about ten of these set up for various series on specific channels (always a single channel) and I have used CCHAN every time.

I assumed that CCHANS was for multiple channels.

Could someone fill me in on this, please?

Also, did they ever fix the OTA channel selection bug (so I can enter 8-1 instead of 8 and get the OTA (local HD) to record. I checked today and several that I set up without the -1, did not record the OTA by default (as was suggested earlier in the long thread about boolean searches. (and yes, I do have fully functioning AM21s on all my HD-DVRs)

As I test, I changed one of my searches to a -1 station and I'll watch what happens.

While I do have a 100 series links available with the HR44, I am having fun experimenting with the advanced search and it will come in handy on the HR24 with a 50 limit.

I have also noticed that the ToDo list updates terribly slowly, if at all, but the recordings are happening as they should. This has been talked about here for at least 5 years, and not just limited to advanced searches.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me on the OTA advanced searches. I'd like to set nearly all of my "network" programming to OTA where possible.

Cchan is deprecated. It may still work but no guarantee on how long it will. Cchans is the new version and does the same thing.

#19 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:19 PM

As far as the dash one it's been so long I don't recall. If I can remember I'll try it sometime.

#20 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,906 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted Today, 05:27 AM

Thanks! Is there a way to "edit" each of my many advanced searches so I can change CCHAN to CCHANS, or do I have to go back in a build the searches from scratch?

Yesterday I looked at a couple of my advanced searches, and it showed they were going to record on BOTH 5 and 5-1 at the same time! I'll have to see if they actually do it.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr44-500, hr44-500_genie, series_manager_size_limit, series_manager

Protected By... spam firewall...And...