Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bug - 1080p @ 24hz causes Genie Mini to display 1080i @24hz

1080p 1080i 24hz 60hz 120hz genie mini c41

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pabdaddy1995

pabdaddy1995

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

I have a weird issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Basically I have a Genie and 2 mini clients.  Surprisingly the two mini clients are the ones connected to my two tv's capable of displaying 1080p.  I have a Vizio 1080p 42" LCD (about 4 or 5yrs old) and a brand new Optoma hd131xe projector that this issue occurs on.

Here is how it happens...

1.  Download a 1080p VOD movie (I downloaded Turbo)

2.  Watch the movie

3.  Exit the movie and go back to HD content (I went back to ESPN HD, but it probably doesn't matter)

At this point I saw "Jerky" video at HD resolutions.  

4.  I then go from HDMI1 to HDMI2 and then back to HDMI1 so that I can see what is the resolution and frame rate.  And low and behold I'm looking at 1080i @ 24hz!  (NOTE:  Again this happens on both the Vizio and Optoma.)

5.  Reboot the mini client.

6.  "Jerky" video is fixed but now the resolution is stuck at 480p!  (480p @ 60hz)

Work Around:

The only way I can get it out of this state is if I "reset defaults", "reset receiver", and then go back in and set my resolutions back up.

NOTE:  The Mini Clients are c41's manufactured 8/13/13 and are running 0x734 code.

Edited by pabdaddy1995, 25 November 2013 - 01:29 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

3.  Exit the movie and go back to HD content (I went back to ESPN HD, but it probably doesn't matter)

At this point I saw "Jerky" video at HD resolutions.  

4.  I then go from HDMI1 to HDMI2 and then back to HDMI1 so that I can see what is the resolution and frame rate.  And low and behold I'm looking at 1080i @ 24hz!  (NOTE:  Again this happens on both the Vizio and Optoma.)

Well, since you have exited the VOD movie and you are now watching ESPN HD which is not on 1080p, it appears that this is fine

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

Have you tried setting native off

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   pabdaddy1995

pabdaddy1995

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

1080i @ 24hz is NOT correct, which is my point.

Well, since you have exited the VOD movie and you are now watching ESPN HD which is not on 1080p, it appears that this is fine

#5 OFFLINE   pabdaddy1995

pabdaddy1995

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

Native is always off on the Genie Mini.  On the TV I actually tried it both ways.

But for example if its native and its 480p/60hz on a projector its super small.  And if you force it to 16:9 it will actually blow up a 480p signal so it just looks like crappy SD.

But believe me I tried everything.

1. I tried rebooting just the Mini - Like I said it comes back at 480p/60hz (even though it wasn't even a resolution i had selected)

2. I tried rebooting the Projector and the Vizio - again it comes back at 480p/60hz

3. I tried changing HDMI ports

4. I tried changing to component cables - Before you say anything I realize that component cables only support 1080i (which is what I was hoping for, but no 480p/60hz).

5. Went back to 1080p movie (worked fine).  Came back 1080i @ 24hz.

I really could care less but If i'm going to be a beta tester I think I should at least be comped from Directv.

Like for instance just today the mini completely froze.  Called directv and they said I had to power cycle the Main Genie (What a PITA).  I've only had the system for like 4 days and so many problems.  It's a neat idea and I think it will be good in time, but right now there are a lot of bugs. 

Have you tried setting native off

#6 OFFLINE   pabdaddy1995

pabdaddy1995

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

I want to be clear here.  Coming back to 1080i is not the problem, its the 24hz that is.  

To my knowledge I'm not aware of anyone broadcasting 1080i @24hz.  The 24hz is strictly for 1080p AFAIK.

#7 OFFLINE   pabdaddy1995

pabdaddy1995

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

BTW....I've been able to verify that this only happens on Client units.  The main unit does not seem to be affected by this bug.

#8 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

Something just seems off since I don't think the clients or any other dtv box ever outputs at 24 unless it's also outputting 1080p. Don't even think its possible.

This may be something going on in the handshake with the tv and the tv not changing its rate properly and is converting the incoming signal to 1080i 24.

#9 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

My best guess is that the problem is certainly not in the TVs, and is likely in the client. If native is on, and the report of ESPN being at 1080 somewhat indicates that since it is a 720p source, everything should be converted to 1080i30 (assuming that it the chosen setting). DVRs should be capable of scaling any pixel map to any pixel map, and have the ability to interlace or deinterlace, and can convert 60 fps to 30 fps and back, but I don't think they can convert to 24 Hz. They have the ability to do 3:2 pull-down, but not 2:3 pull-up.

If native is on and you are set to 1080i30, regardless of the input content and frame rate, that is what is (or should be) always delivered to the set, and if a 1080p FP, it interlaces that to 1080p. So your 1080p24 movie has pulldown and deinterlace added that converts it to 1080i30 in the DVR, and your TV interlaces that to 1080p60, unless you have it configured to interpolate extra frames, which most TVs can't do. So when you view 1080p24 movies in this configuration, they are displayed as 1080p60 (with all of the advantages and disadvantages of 24p).

So something is wrong in the DVR or client. Can native be set off or on on both the server and the client? It would seem that one would want the capability of setting it on the client since different clients are connected to different TVs. But the whole process is simpler for server/client delivery if native is off.

Check again carefully whether native is on. Sometimes these things get reset in the background. Set it on, reboot, wait over 30 minutes (to preserve guide info), set native off, and reboot again. Maybe that will straighten things out.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1080p, 1080i, 24hz, 60hz, 120hz, genie, mini, c41

Protected By... spam firewall...And...