Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWMing Downstream (or Can I Do This with a SWM LNB?)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   T40T

T40T

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

What's currently wired:  3 HR21s, 1 H20, and 1 SD legacy box about to be killed by DirecTV.   In the basement, I think I have a multiswitch with 3 lines in, and 8 lines out.  I also have AT&T DSL.

What I want wired:  1 HR44 (I hope) Genie, 3 Genie Mini clients, 1 HR24, 1 AM21, and Charter Internet.

Is this possible?  Using the (I think) 3 existing cables from the current LNB on the roof  to the basement for this: 1 line from a SWM LNB, 1 line from an antenna on the roof to the AM21, and 1 line for Charter Internet?

The following is to help me understand the AM21:  I think I've read that if I want live OTA on multiple TVs, I would need a seperate AM21 for each receiver.  I think this means if I had an AM21 connected to the Genie, but not the HR24, I could watch live OTA on the Genie and clients, but not on the HR24.  If I want to watch OTA on the HR24, I could not watch live, but I could watch OTA programs recorded on the Genie.  This would mean I could watch OTA on the HR24 NEARLY live, if the channel I want has started recording on the Genie about a minute before.  Is this correct?

Thank you in advance for your help trying to figure this out.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

Other than the fact your multiswitch in the basement has 4 lines in, you are correct on all counts. The only question I could see would be if the Charter tech would use the DirecTV line to come into the house.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   T40T

T40T

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

I'm glad the DirecTV stuff can work out. 

My only concern now is the Charter internet install. 

Edited by T40T, 26 November 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,583 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

So long as the other end of that coax wasn't connected to anything, I don't see why the cable guy wouldn't use it. If it is still connected to a dish or goes up to the roof where he can't see if it is connected or not, pretty sure he won't touch it. You'd need to cut it so he can know it is not in use.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,037 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

Push the dash button on any of your HR2x units, see if you get a message about SWM connected.

There should be four (not 3) coax going from dish to multiswitch.  If you replace the LNB on your dish (to SWM), then the other 3 coax can be re-purposed as you suggest, so long as you stay at or below 8 tuners (which you are proposing to do).  However, as someone noted, the cable guy isn't going to climb on the roof to hook up to that spare coax.

As to the AM21 and it's operation, you are correct.

#6 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,986 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

The cable guy may run into a problem using RG6 from Directv.

Cable co's install RG59 in the house.

The connectors are just a little bit different.

He probably has RG59 connectors which won't fit on the RG6.

Now if he doesn't have to cut or change any cables or connectors, he should be OK to use the cable as is.

Also the one AM21 will serve the Genie and clients. But often overlooked is that while the Genie has 5 tuners, the AM21 has only two so that can be limiting if more than 2 folks want OTA at the same time or a recording of OTA is in process.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,508 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

The cable guy may run into a problem using RG6 from Directv.

Cable co's install RG59 in the house.

Perhaps where you live, but in the many markets I have worked, the used CCS RG6

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,583 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

Push the dash button on any of your HR2x units, see if you get a message about SWM connected.

There should be four (not 3) coax going from dish to multiswitch.  If you replace the LNB on your dish (to SWM), then the other 3 coax can be re-purposed as you suggest, so long as you stay at or below 8 tuners (which you are proposing to do).  However, as someone noted, the cable guy isn't going to climb on the roof to hook up to that spare coax.

As to the AM21 and it's operation, you are correct.

If he has a multiswitch with 8 outs and has a legacy (MPG) receiver connected now, he can't have SWM.

I assume his confusion about 3 inputs rather than 4 is that maybe two of the coaxes are stuck together so it looks like 3 cables going toward it (probably the installer ran one of those dual RG6 + ground wire combos)

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,508 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

If he has a multiswitch with 8 outs and has a legacy (MPG) receiver connected now, he can't have SWM.

Well, technically he can.  He can use legacy outputs from SWM16

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,583 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

Well, technically he can.  He can use legacy outputs from SWM16

But then he wouldn't have said he had a multiswitch with 8 lines coming out.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,508 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:17 AM

ahhh, got it.  you meant he can't have SWM now.  I was more like in the future....  my bad...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   T40T

T40T

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for all the feedback.  I last felt the multiswitch in the dark, and it felt like there were 3 in.  I should have used a flashlight.  So this could be done with a SWM16 in my basement and not only be done with a SWM LNB?  I thought the AM21 would require it's own cable into the house directly from the antenna.  I'm swapping out the legacy receiver, so all of the receivers and clients will be SWM capable.  As far as the internet cable goes, I realized that to get from the wall to the AV closet, a cable would only need to be run less than 2 feet accross the back of small alcove that will be functioning as a small, open closet.  From there, the modem can be connected to a wifi router and wired ethernet.  Depending on where the cable is currently routed to my house (all lines to my house are burried), this might not be an issue after all.

Edited by T40T, 27 November 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,508 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

Since your tuner count is 7, DirecTV will most likely install a SWM LNB, since that is their "policy"  The AM21 does in deed require a separate cable from the OTA antenna.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...