Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGo for PC (Win 8.1): Store files on removable media?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spedinfargo

spedinfargo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

I'm running GenieGO for PC on a Dell Venue Pro 8 and the experience is very good (not as touch friendly as I would like, but maybe we'll get a true Win8 "modern" app one of these days).

Since the DVP8 is only a 32-gig model I have an extra 32-gig microSD card for additional storage.  However, when I try to set the GenieGO folder it doesn't seem to like it.  I'm not sure if it's because it's removable media or because it might not meet some performance standards.

Anyone know of any tricks to force GenieGO PC to be able to use a microSD card for storage?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

I'm running GenieGO for PC on a Dell Venue Pro 8 and the experience is very good (not as touch friendly as I would like, but maybe we'll get a true Win8 "modern" app one of these days).

Since the DVP8 is only a 32-gig model I have an extra 32-gig microSD card for additional storage.  However, when I try to set the GenieGO folder it doesn't seem to like it.  I'm not sure if it's because it's removable media or because it might not meet some performance standards.

Anyone know of any tricks to force GenieGO PC to be able to use a microSD card for storage?

The PC client does support a "path" for content in the setup/configuration.

It should work on removable media without any impact to operation - the Android client works in the same way, and it works just fine on that platform.

I'll be testing it on a notebook.laptop combination WIN8 unit soon myself.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   spedinfargo

spedinfargo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

Yeah, in the settings there is a "where would you like to save your videos" option.  When I click on "browse" my D:\ drive isn't even available.  If I type in "d:\geniego" (a folder that exists) I get an error:

"The folder save location you have selected is not supported.  Please select another drive and try again."

I'll play around with it some more - I have GenieGo on my laptop as well so I'll try an SD card on that system.  It could be something to do with the file system (NTFS, FAT32) that the card is formatted with as well...

#4 OFFLINE   spedinfargo

spedinfargo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

Tried it with a couple other SD cards and a USB flash drive on another computer and none of them work.  Interestingly an external USB hard drive works...

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

Yeah, in the settings there is a "where would you like to save your videos" option.  When I click on "browse" my D:\ drive isn't even available.  If I type in "d:\geniego" (a folder that exists) I get an error:

"The folder save location you have selected is not supported.  Please select another drive and try again."

I'll play around with it some more - I have GenieGo on my laptop as well so I'll try an SD card on that system.  It could be something to do with the file system (NTFS, FAT32) that the card is formatted with as well...

Have you tried "pointing it" to the SD card by typing in the location? That worked on Android.

#6 OFFLINE   spedinfargo

spedinfargo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Have you tried "pointing it" to the SD card by typing in the location? That worked on Android.

yep - tried manually typing in "d:\geniego" in to the location.  As soon as I hit apply I get the error mentioned...

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

yep - tried manually typing in "d:\geniego" in to the location.  As soon as I hit apply I get the error mentioned...

I'll have to play with it in a few days on a new WIN8.1 device here...

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

Have you tried first creating the D: drive "save" folder in Windows, and then pointing the GenieGo client to it? Asking because I know the GenieGo client here will not create a new folder, if one does not already exist.

/steve

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,980 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Have you tried first creating the D: drive "save" folder in Windows, and then pointing the GenieGo client to it?

See post #3, third sentence.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

See post #3, third sentence.

Missed that.

/steve

#11 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

The app doesn't allow you to store to an SD card.

I have a Surface Pro and I discovered that issue the moment I also tried to use my SD card as the storage location.  This is really a Windows issue because it should present the SD card like any other removable drive.  We shouldn't have this issue.

#12 OFFLINE   Ely

Ely

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:48 AM

That's a real bummer guys, I also have the Dell Venue 8 Pro and expecting to receive my GenieGo today, has anyone found a work around for this issue yet?

#13 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,646 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

Asus T100 Win 8.1 Tablet with 64 GB card as Drive D:.   GG PC Client doesn't see it.

Edit:  Trying something different, I installed the program on Drive D:.

The settings for file storage still only shows C: drive.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#14 OFFLINE   Brent04

Brent04

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:06 PM

Here is a way to be able to have the GenieGo client save the videos to a SD Card.  If you do this you may want to make sure that you keep the same SD card in the tablet and don't swap it since you will be make some disk management changes to the system.  I have this working on a Dell Venue 8 Pro with a 64GB SD Card.

1) Insert the SD card and create a folder on it such as "GenieGo"

2) Create an empty folder on the system drive (usually C:) of the tablet/PC and name it something like SDCard (be sure to leave this folder empty)

3) Open up the "Computer Management" control panel

4) Select the "Disk Management" sub item

5) Right click on the SD card drive letter in the list of drive volumes in disk management

6) Select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..." from the pop up menu

7) Click on the Add button

8) Make sure that "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder:" is selected and then click on the "Browse" button

9) Expand the C: drive tree

10) Select the folder you created in step 2.  For example select the SDCard folder on the c:\ drive and click the OK button

11) Click on the OK button of the "Add Drive Letter or Path" window

12) You should now have two items listed in the list.  The original drive letter that was listed for the SD card such as D: and the folder you just selected such as "OS (C:) \SDCard"

13) Click on the OK button

14) Close the Computer Management window

15) Open the GenieGo client program

16) Open the settings option of the GenieGo program

17) Click on the Browse button for the "Where would you like to save your videos?" in the "Manage PC settings"

18) Select the SDCard folder on the C: drive and then the GenieGo folder that was created on the SDCard

19) Click on the Select button

20) You should now have something like "C:\SDCard\GenieGo" listed for where the videos will be saved

21) Click on the Apply button then the OK button

22) The videos will now be saved to the SD Card

Edited by Brent04, 21 December 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

Here is a way to be able to have the GenieGo client save the videos to a SD Card.  If you do this you may want to make sure that you keep the same SD card in the tablet and don't swap it since you will be make some disk management changes to the system.  I have this working on a Dell Venue 8 Pro with a 64GB SD Card.

1) Insert the SD card and create a folder on it such as "GenieGo" [...]

I don't have a win 8.1 tablet, but I just successfully simulated what you did above on my Win 7 desktop. Anything virtually stored in the new folder on my C: drive is actually physically stored on the drive I selected in step 1. Kudos for a creative work-around! :up:

/steve

#16 OFFLINE   mrc3

mrc3

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

resurecting this older topic.  I am looking for assistance in getting geniego installed on my Windows 8.1 Samsung Book Ativ 9.  During the registration it complains that it "doesn't meet the requirements" In the diagnostic window it says it failed at step 6.

Directv support claims that WIndows 8.1 is not supported (in spite of the directv person who took my order claiming that it did work on WIndows 8.1).

It appears that some of you have gotten past this roadblock.  Any suggesions on how I can do the same?

The software does work on my windows 7 platform.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

#17 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

I'm running it fine on my 8.1 pc. I just downloaded it and installed it with no issues. I have it pointed to my 2nd hard drive.

Now my android phone app is dead as Google changed the sd card permissions in 4.4.2 kitkat so there is no way I have enough space to download to the internal storage.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Protected By... spam firewall...And...