Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What happens to leased equipment if I cancel?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   superJess

superJess

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

I have a vip722 that is leased.  I've had it since 2008.  We are evaluating our options right now because there are a few things I'd like to change (more tuners, HD locals, some new channels).  We are thinking about switching to DirecTV.  What happens to my vip722 if I do that?  Do I have to ship it to Dish?  

Right now I have a ton of stuff piled up that I haven't watched.  I doubt it's going to get better anytime soon as I had a baby in May and I'm always behind.  I'm trying to figure out what to do if I switch when I haven't watched everything stored on my DVR yet.  If I have to ship it back, I pretty much have to catch up before I cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,840 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

I have a vip722 that is leased.  I've had it since 2008.  We are evaluating our options right now because there are a few things I'd like to change (more tuners, HD locals, some new channels).  We are thinking about switching to DirecTV.  What happens to my vip722 if I do that?  Do I have to ship it to Dish?  

Right now I have a ton of stuff piled up that I haven't watched.  I doubt it's going to get better anytime soon as I had a baby in May and I'm always behind.  I'm trying to figure out what to do if I switch when I haven't watched everything stored on my DVR yet.  If I have to ship it back, I pretty much have to catch up before I cancel.

The only person that can tell you that is Dish, I leased my 722k,612 and 211k, so yes I had to give them back.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#3 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

Typically you have about 10 days to return the equipment.   When you call them to cancel, you can ask about it.  They may send you a Return Authorization but then again you may be on the hook for the shipping charges.   If you have material that  you haven't watched,  then you better get your Binge going as there is really no way to save it to another device unless you have a friend with a 722.  Then you could save it all to an external hard drive (assuming you have paid for that feature).   Then plugging that Hard Drive into another 722 would allow you to watch those shows.  Not really what I would call convenient.  I have a lot on both my external and internal hard drives and it pretty much keeps me from switching providers.  

Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#4 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

Dish charges to return the equipment. You can't move the shows to EHD and then hook it up to another account. Dish does not allow that.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,410 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

What TV Designated Market Area are you in?

Shortly after you cancel, you must send the ViP722 back. Most of it will stop functioning within days of cancellation (including the OTA tuner).

You'll need to at least clear the partition table on the EHD so you can use it for something else. It will NOT work with a DIRECTV DVR or receiver because DIRECTV requires the arguably more problematic* eSATA configuration and they don't support EHDs on their non-DVR receivers.

* if you disagree, I invite you to visit here:

www.dbstalk.com/topic/151703-esata-directv-recommended-list

Beware: there are just short of 2,800 posts in the above thread.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   superJess

superJess

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

Thanks everyone.  I figured I'd have to send it back, but I was hoping that maybe they wouldn't care about it because it's old now.  I am surprised to hear I will probably have to pay for shipping it back to them though.  Maybe I'll have to keep both for a month so I have some overlap and can catch up watching the shows on the 722 while I start recording on the next one.  

I like Dish and I haven't decided for sure yet.  It sounds like even if I stay with Dish and upgrade to a Hopper I will still have this problem.  

We're in Cincinnati, OH.   

#7 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:42 AM

Typically you have about 10 days to return the equipment.   When you call them to cancel, you can ask about it.  They may send you a Return Authorization but then again you may be on the hook for the shipping charges.   If you have material that  you haven't watched,  then you better get your Binge going as there is really no way to save it to another device unless you have a friend with a 722.  Then you could save it all to an external hard drive (assuming you have paid for that feature).   Then plugging that Hard Drive into another 722 would allow you to watch those shows.  Not really what I would call convenient.  I have a lot on both my external and internal hard drives and it pretty much keeps me from switching providers.  

You can only transfer recordings via EHD between receivers on the same account.  You would not be able to take an EHD to a friends house and plug it in to watch.  When you plug it in it will try to reformat the EHD to work on his account instead of yours.

2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#8 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

Thanks everyone.  I figured I'd have to send it back, but I was hoping that maybe they wouldn't care about it because it's old now.  I am surprised to hear I will probably have to pay for shipping it back to them though.  Maybe I'll have to keep both for a month so I have some overlap and can catch up watching the shows on the 722 while I start recording on the next one.  

I like Dish and I haven't decided for sure yet.  It sounds like even if I stay with Dish and upgrade to a Hopper I will still have this problem.  

We're in Cincinnati, OH.   

superJess,

I am more than happy to check all available options for an equipment upgrade for you! Have you checked on the Hopper/Hopper w/Sling? Please PM me with the phone number on the account to better help you.

Thanks

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,410 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

I figured I'd have to send it back, but I was hoping that maybe they wouldn't care about it because it's old now.

I was just asked to return a seven year old ViP622 with a hinky OTA tuner.

Surprisingly, I was told by two notification e-mails that return was NOT required.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:36 PM

If you have a VHS or DVD recorder, you could copy what you have on your hard drive (real time) and watch it later. That is always an option, but it would be in SD. I own my equipment and I have been happy with Dish since I got it in 1999. Nothing else (for me) compares out in the country where I live.

Patrick

spam firewall