Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Mentalist, Spoiler?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

So what Do You think about the upcoming changes now that Red John is finally done with. Personal opinion, It was ruining the show for me. But I guess the writers were so blank on plot lines they needed it.

How will they handle the leap forward two years for the next episode. What happens to the CBI, Do they get re-opened?

It's been two years since the Red John case was solved. Jane is a wanted man who's found peace in South America, where he's hiding out. Although he wants nothing more to do with crime solving, an unexpected job offer could change everything.

It looks like the episode #10 following is called "Green Thumb"

Any Guesses?

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#2 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

Red John might be dead but I don't believe why he kill his family is still an open question for me. I believe that in two years he will discover something that will set him on the trail again. Otherwise I don' really care for a Jane 2.0. If they could pull it off more power to them.

#3 OFFLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

I was sick and tired of RedJohn after the second season of the show. Thrilled that he is gone. I certainly hope they don't create a similiar story arc with someother arch villan.

It may take two or three 'transition' episodes but I am sure that it will not be long before TBI is functioning again with all the usual characters (except NO RJ arc).

EDIT: after a little searching: Van Pelt and Ridgsby will be leaving the show late this season. The FBI person and his assistant will be new continuing characters.

I suspect Jane (and the rest) will wind up working for the FBI (sort of community service for killing RJ)

Edited by eakes, 26 November 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

I hope they develop some stories that can save the Mentalist.  RJ has killed the series for me.  An it is CBI not TBI it takes place in California.

#5 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,144 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

I was sick and tired of RedJohn after the second season of the show. Thrilled that he is gone. I certainly hope they don't create a similiar story arc with someother arch villan.

It may take two or three 'transition' episodes but I am sure that it will not be long before TBI is functioning again with all the usual characters (except NO RJ arc).

EDIT: after a little searching: Van Pelt and Ridgsby will be leaving the show late this season. The FBI person and his assistant will be new continuing characters.

I suspect Jane (and the rest) will wind up working for the FBI (sort of community service for killing RJ)

I thought I had read that Van Pelt and Rigsby were going to be leaving the show in early December?

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

Many don't know it, but Governor Moonbeam and the Legislature killed the CBI as an agency of the California Department of Justice and as it is portrayed in the show. It was merged with parts of the Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement to create the Bureau of Investigation within the Attorney General's Office on February 17, 2012 and is known simply as the BI. It never really did the work portrayed except of an occasional assist to locals.

Personally, I think this past week's show would have made a fine series finale. Whether it should have been the series finale remains to be seen.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

I thought I had read that Van Pelt and Rigsby were going to be leaving the show in early December?

Van Pelt is one of the reason I watch this show. If she and Teresa had change role Jane would have forgot about Red John.

#8 OFFLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

The producers/writers have obviously decided to reinvent the show - changing cast members and new setting. Whether that will be successful or not remains to be seen, but usually not.

I normally enjoyed Jane's unusual problem solving techniques and that was my prime reason for watching. Other characters and various subplots were not really important.

Sunday night on CBS is a poor position for a successful show (aside from 60 Minutes which I quit watching years ago). GoodWife is not my kind of show so I only turn to CBS for Mentalist. Once football season is gone, Mentalist is the only reason I would turn on the TV on Sunday night. If I find the new format unacceptable, then there would be no reason for TV on Sunday night!

#9 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

As has been mentioned I am so Glad the Red John nonsense is gone.

This should have been part one of a two part finale possibly. Then do the 2 year down the road as a spin off. That might have had a better chance of success than what they are doing.

By avoiding risk, name change, They risk alienating the audience IMHO.

The Closer and its spin off worked. If they had tried to keep the name and some of the plot maybe not. They put it in the same place with most of the cast, it works.

Get rid of Rigsby and Van Pelt and the CBI name, It is a different show and needs a different name.

Thank You for the Good Insightful thoughts

TBoneit

#10 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,705 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

There is an obvious continuation lurking in the police organization with the tattoos and the "tiger, tiger" phrase. Lots of housecleaning to be done there leaving an ongoing thread. I liked the ensemble cast but they could reinvent adding some warmth and humor more like the characters in NCIS.

Speaking of tiger, the company at which i work is in year three of a SAP implementation. Some of the business aspects of it are behind schedule so management has assembled what they refer to as tiger teams. So called experts to help assist those units in to an on time implementation schedule.

A co worker and I discussed this at length and came up with the corollary to the tiger team. A hyena team so formed to attend these additional meetings and laugh at them. Needless to say we are not publishing this :)

Don "wishing all a happy thanksgiving with no deep fryer exploding turkey incidents" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#11 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

Watch last night episode and was prepare to not like it turn out to better than I expected. Looks like I am in for the long run.

#12 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,163 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

I wasn't thrilled with it.  But I won't quit yet.  Besides, there is nothing else on against it.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

It was interesting story telling with Jane being Jane. Just have to see where it goes.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#14 OFFLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

The Jane character must be a very intriguing one to write. All the other characters are mere foils for his 'amusement', however, he must treat others in a in humane way or Jane would come accross as a pompus, meanspirited person.

The stiff-neck, by the book FBI should afford a number of new foils for Jane. Hard to believe that they would want to work with him rather than throw him in jail. Therefore, someone high up in the chain of command must appreciate his talents - someone certainly higher in rank than the agents he is currently dealing with. Jane knows that he can cut a much better "get out of jail" deal than the first offer - the present agents are messangers and will have to consult with 'The Boss' before actually sending him to jail.

It will take a few more episodes before the tenor of the new arrangement will be established. However, I believe it will be much the same as before but a number of new foils and a more 'global' setting.

#15 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

Last Nights Episode, Dec. 8, 2013 was very watchable despite the fact that I do not think You can pressure the FBI like that.

It will be interesting to see how far they take it.

Considering the big changes I can only guess that the network felt the show was getting somewhat stale.

I hope they do not bring in another recurring villain to replace Red John.

Am I the only one that thinks Kimball Cho is this shows version of Jack Webb from Dragnet?   

I also wonder if we are done with Van Pelt & Rigsby.

#16 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

Last Nights Episode, Dec. 8, 2013 was very watchable despite the fact that I do not think You can pressure the FBI like that.

It will be interesting to see how far they take it.

Considering the big changes I can only guess that the network felt the show was getting somewhat stale.

I hope they do not bring in another recurring villain to replace Red John.

Am I the only one that thinks Kimball Cho is this shows version of Jack Webb from Dragnet?   

I also wonder if we are done with Van Pelt & Rigsby.

Yes, it is likely to be very "watchable." To me it was obvious everyone including the writers were trying to "get their sea legs" but assuming that they won't have any problem shifting the venue from California to the nation, the continuing characters are interesting enough to make it a viable police procedural - the bread and butter of CBS, assuming they are smart enough to realize that Sunday at 10 pm is always going to be a ratings desert except for football and the occasional special.

I like the new supporting character introduced in this episode.

My AV Setup

#17 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

Are You referring to the one that resembled van pelt (Emily Swallow) as Kim Fischer? At least to these tired old eyes. Or do You meanRockmond-Dunbar_thumb.jpg Rockmond Dunbar as FBI Agent Dennis Abbott ?

Edited by TBoneit, 10 December 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

Are You referring to the one that resembled van pelt (Emily Swallow) as Kim Fischer? At least to these tired old eyes. Or do You meanRockmond-Dunbar_thumb.jpg Rockmond Dunbar as FBI Agent Dennis Abbott ?

While I like them both, i was referring to Analyst Wiley "Coyote" I guess mostly because I enjoyed the exchanges with Cho and could see that continuing.

My AV Setup

#19 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:56 AM

Gotcha. Wiley, Doesn't know why they call him Coyote. I was suffering from reading comprehension. For some reason I missed "introduced in this episode". Those two were introduced previously in Mexico. I have to agree the interaction could be good.

Drifting off topic.

I watched Last nights NCIS. I am liking the new character. I had more than a few laughs from the episode. :righton:

Best Regards

TBoneit

spam firewall