Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Netflix on Apple TV Slowdown

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,565 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

It's not limited to the Apple TV. The new Roku 2 with the old Netflix channel maxes out at about 3000kbps 720p, but the Roku 3 with the new Netflix hits 5800kbps 1080p.

PS3 with the new Netflix also does 5800kbps 1080p, while the Wii U gets 3000kbps 720p.

I've only got the Roku 2 and I'm getting over 3000... it's staying around 5800.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,767 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

Roku and Chromecast merit mention because they demonstrate the issue at hand is isolated to Netflix on Apple TV.  Sorry if that was not clear.

Your statement is clear; it's just the facts are wrong.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Prove it.  What is your specific experience?  Do you have data, or not?  

Gary

#24 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

Roku and Chromecast merit mention because they demonstrate the issue at hand is isolated to Netflix on Apple TV. Sorry if that was not clear.

I've done enough to prove that not all of the issues are limited to the Apple TV and Netflix.

Please, just don't respond to me again. I'd like to leave this topic alone but I'm not going to sit by and watch false claims fly by.

#25 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

Prove it. What is your specific experience? Do you have data, or not?

I provided data that some of the same issues are happening with the Roku, which you claimed wasn't having the issues at all.

You weren't interested.

#26 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

Nobody said they were

I've done enough to prove that not all of the issues are limited to the Apple TV and Netflix.

Please, just don't respond to me again. I'd like to leave this topic alone but I'm not going to sit by and watch false claims fly by.

Nobody said they were.  Just the issue mentioned in the original post as was stated.  You have different issues and you seem confused.

Gary

#27 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,767 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

Since you cannot or will not back up your claim with your own experience, and are at the truculent end of replies, I consider you have lost face and will only respond with denials and insults. You are free to not respond further!  :eek2:

#28 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

Nobody said they were

Nobody said they were. Just the issue mentioned in the original post as was stated. You have different issues and you seem confused.

1. You reported the issue.
2. You posted a link to the Apple forums.
3. In the many pages of that topic, MANY people are reporting symptoms on their Apple TV that I'm experiencing on some Roku models but not others running the new Netflix UI.
4. You brought up Roku.
5. You claimed that the Roku wasn't seeing any of these issues.
6. You were wrong, as I provided the data that you were looking for that shows that the Roku IS having some of the problems with Netflix that are being reported in that Apple forum post.

Now, honest to God, I'm done with this topic and with you. Call me confused or whatever else you like, I'm not coming back here again.

#29 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

Folks, certain posts have been cleaned up. Sorry for the confusion.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#30 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,665 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

I just did this test, I know its not during prime time but I started off with 5800, went to 3000 then went back to 5800 and stayed that way for the entire 11 minute video. I have a wired connection to my ATV3. I will try again later during prime time to see what I get.

#31 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

The mainstream press is starting to take notice.  

http://www.digitaltr...ing-hd-netflix/

Gary

#32 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

I've seen that too. I've spent a fair amount of time with the Netflix people trying to get them to read that thread over at Apple, and finally got someone who claims they will pass it on. This is beginning to sound like the beginning of a bigger story. While it seems to have its roots with Apple and Comcast, it's clearly affecting other providers and boxes.

I provide the following not to brag but to document:

3142167877.png
90046631.png

and while I can achieve sustained downloads of 20+mbps from other sites (even during primetime), I have trouble keeping even the 3mbps stream from Netflix during prime time. During the day it's no problem.

The folks at Netflix admit the problem is network congestion but they won't admit it's their network. They claim their technology is quite a bit different from Hulu, YouTube, HBOGO, StarzPlay, or anyone else and I've told them that if that's so... perhaps it shouldn't be since the evidence is that it's inferior.

It wouldn't be surprising if hundreds of thousands more smart devices start their 1-month free trials with Netflix in the coming months and if the company fails to impress during the trial I suspect their numbers will show it in the spring.

It's just rather a shame that they don't seem to be interested in addressing these issues head on and seem to want their CSRs to play the blame game instead, despite convincing evidence from trustworthy sources.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#33 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

Yes there are many variables but they seem to center around Netflix on Apple TV at night.  There are plenty of exceptions.  For example streaming the Netflix Example clip on Apple TV at night gives me awful bit rates.  Then I can switch to the same thing on Google Chromecast and get HD bit rates and great picture quality.  Hopefully this will get sorted out. 

Gary

#34 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,767 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

The mainstream press is starting to take notice.  

http://www.digitaltr...ing-hd-netflix/

Yes there are many variables but they seem to center around Netflix on Apple TV at night.  There are plenty of exceptions.  For example streaming the Netflix Example clip on Apple TV at night gives me awful bit rates.  Then I can switch to the same thing on Google Chromecast and get HD bit rates and great picture quality.  Hopefully this will get sorted out. 

Very interesting. Not having Chromecast, I dunno, but is it drawing through Netflix?

#35 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

Now some are jumping through some hoops to revert back to OS version 5.3 on their ATV3.  They report getting back their full bit rates speeds immediately!

Gary

spam firewall