Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The DIRECTV HD DVR - Year 7

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,061 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

The DIRECTV  HD DVR - Year 7

It's been another interesting year for for the DIRECTV HD DVR, most of the attention has been directed to the Genie platform and it appears this will be the norm and not the exception for the future.  The Cutting Edge group at DBSTalk.com has been busy with field trials and has been a part of every major piece of residential equipment release since the HR20.  I can't believe it's been 7 years since Earl Bonovich started the Cutting Edge program and it is still strong today.  I am thankful to be a part of the program and would like to thank all of the members that keep it going, even though not every area is open for all eyes to see.

Since last year there have been two more releases of the Genie, the HR44-500 & the HR44-200, they are essentially the same to the end user with just a few differences on the inside.  The Genie is the flagship of the DIRECTV line up and has 5 tuners that can serve live or recorded programming to clients and they can also be a part of the regular Whole Home setup.  

HR44.png

HR44-200 Third Look

The next part of the whole Genie setup that was released last year was the C41 Geine Client or "Mini" as some call it.  Again, with multiple manufacturers the Genie client is planned to be the compliment to the Genie server for years to come.  The C41 give you the ability to have a much smaller piece of equipment at each location but still have the control of a DVR at your fingertips.

C3141.png

C41-700 First Look

Even more exciting than the new C41 clients was the release of the C41W, a wireless client that you can move around your home or into the back yard if you wish without having to drag a cable around.  Ever wish you could set up another TV on Sunday at the same location as your main TV without having to mess with cables?  The C41W and Wireless Video Bridge (WVB) make it easy to put TV almost anywhere you want it.

C41W.png

C41W-100 & Wireless Video Bridge (WVB) First Look

Last year the nomad was renamed GenieGo and some great new features were added as well, the ability for the user to stream directly to their mobile device or laptop while in home and then later the ability to stream out of home.  These features changed the GenieGo from a limited feature device to a full feature necessity for the traveler.

For the sports lover a valuable new feature was recently added to the Genie, Sports Search.  Click the icon and set your Genie up to record all of the Games from your favorite team, do it once and forget about it, no more worrying if you will be home in time for the beginning of the game, you will always be able to see it from the start.

Sports Search - Quick Look

This has been a big year for the DIRECTV Genie and I know there are more good things to come for next year.  I would like to thank DIRECTV for early access to all of these products and allowing DBSTalk.com to participate in the testing process.

Stick around because I know that DIRECTV has a lot more in store for us and there are some great new things and features to look forward to.

• r21gt54 likes this

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,061 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

Pervious Articles:
Year One
Year Two
Year Three
Year Four
Year Five
Year Six

those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,664 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

Outstanding write-up and summary!

It's hard to believe that it's been 7 years since all this started, but your great historical record of DirecTV technology demonstrates just how things have advanced.

We owe a big thanks to Earl, Doug, Stuart, Tom, Scott, and the many other Moderators who got this started and continue to manage a successful testing process.

...and a big congratulations to my fellow testers who have shown patience, persistence, commitment, as well as volunteered numerous hours to make all this happen. 

Kudos!

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,419 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

Yet another outstanding job, indeed. Seven years...time flies when you're having fun, hmmm?  :)

Thanks to all the mods and members involved in the process. Here's to many more productive years ahead of us!   :righton:

Steve

#5 OFFLINE   Ruffread

Ruffread

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts
  • LocationVista, CA

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Thanks Scott, you done an excellent job on keeping us posted on Directv's goodies.  Keep up the good work, and Happy Holidays to you.  Ruff

#6 ONLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

Wow 7 years!! its been a great ride.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#7 OFFLINE   JimMariner

JimMariner

Just Another Ol'Salt

• DBSTalk Club
  • 814 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

Excellent write up Scott !!

It's been an exciting time for all of us for sure. I am proud to have been able to be a part of the CE Program thus far too. Since my first touch of the HR20 to the Genies,(The Genies are awesome)  it's been fun.

I Love my Nomad/GenieGO. One of the best additions to my DTV account ever for me, I travel alot, it's great to be able to take my DTV with me.

I plan to be a DTV user for a long time to come. I don't see any provider that comes close to what DTV has to offer us as a customer.  

I Look forward to being able to stay a part of the CE Program too. I have enjoyed working with the group of people here that call themselves, CE'ers  :-)  

And again, thanks go out to all the MODs and Admins that made and make this keep happening !!!

7 years, Wow, I am looking forward to the next 7 now.

Where Ever You Go, There you Are !  B)

#8 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,855 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

Nice work Scott.

And also thanks to all those who contributed to the trials and First Look's over the years.  And cant overlook the weekly CE rides that may be painful sometimes but ultimately help turn out a great product.

I wonder what's in store for the years ahead?

#9 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

I just want to say thanks to all the Mods past an present and Directv 

• loudo and jettech737 like this

JACK,

#10 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

A great program.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#11 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,405 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

Total excellence here, just like the CE program has been. It's "only" been 6+ years for me, but man has it been a fast 6 1/2 years! Really hard to believe it's been that long. Thanks to all the mods and former mods and administrators, and a special thanks to those who've been here the full seven years and had to live with the HR20 in the very beginning. It's been an amazing ride and I still look forward to CE night every week! Thank You all!!!!
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,951 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

My gratitude also for being a part of the program. It's rewarding and an honor to me. And usually fun! Thanks to all the participants, from the newest newbie to the grizzliest oldie! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   HDSC

HDSC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for letting me in on some of the software testing.  You guys/gals do a great job with your write-ups and articles when you release the info.  Here's to the cutting edge crew and kudos to Directv also for asking for some Consumer in the field real world testing. 

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,729 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

This is actually the number one reason I'd never consider another TV provider, along with this site in general.

Looking forward to year 8!

#15 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,300 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

Nice write up Scott. I come to really enjoy these over the years.

Great job to all the Mods here as well as the regular CE'rs who test out code just for the fun of it.

Thanks to DIRECTV too. It's way cool for a big company like them to open up pre-release testing to the public on a regular basis. :up:

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#16 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

Wow, seven years already.  It's been quite a honor for us as customers and testers to have this access to the project development.  Thanks to everyone at DBSTalk and at DirecTV for the CE program.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#17 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,462 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

I have really enjoyed being part of the CE program, as the years have progressed.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#18 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

I remember working on the R15 FAQ with Earl, then moving to the HR20 and everything since. It's been a great ride, and look forward to continuing the great ride.

#19 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

Excellent article Scott, thank you so much for keeping up this tradition!
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#20 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

Well done.

spam firewall