Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The DIRECTV HD DVR - Year 7

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Bravisimo!

It has been an amazing journey and I feel most fortunate to have been accepted as part of this community. I jumped in perhaps 4 years ago and it has been a wonderful ride since.

Don "looking forward to what the future brings" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

It has been an absolute pleasure to be a pert of this group. Great job to all the Mods, and kudos to Earl......

“The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.” 
― 
Joseph Campbell

#23 OFFLINE   jtfinsfan1

jtfinsfan1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

I got the Genie a little over a month ago and love it!! I can watch whatever I have recorded in any room in the house and not have to watch what i don't want to.

It was part of a free upgrade.

#24 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,961 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

I don't have a genie (just have the HR24) but there has been great progress all these years.  I've used a few cable DVR's (blue iGuide, SARA, Passport, TWC Navigator) and none hold a candle to the DirecTV DVR.  I'm also not a real fan of how the Dish DVR looks.  I think the DirecTV DVR looks professional and there's great brand consistency between it, the mobile site and apps.

Hopefully the next generation can add some context sensitive GUI screen transitions and animations.  If done quick, it can really add a bit of polish and modern feel.  I'd also love to see "casting" or DIAL support, such as YouTube (or other apps) pairing with the DVR and sending content from your mobile to your big screen using the HR series as the conduit.

A lot has happened in 7 years, so here's to seeing what comes out of development in the next 7!  Lucky 7 baby!

Edited by cypherx, 02 December 2013 - 07:29 PM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#25 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,076 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

We certainly have come a long way since the first HR20-700 and "Santa".  That unit is still running strong though. :fingerscrossed

Great write up.

My Setup

#26 OFFLINE   bobbyv

bobbyv

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationEdmond, Oklahoma

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

Very cool article.  Thanks!

HR34-700
HR21-200
HR22-100

#27 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 448 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

I am interested to know what the "inside" differences are, I assume there are reasons why certain things were changed.

#28 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

I've been away from here too long.  It looks like I need to get back in touch.  It's truly been the proverbial "long strange trip" this last year and a half.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#29 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

As someone that was there when "Santa" lst came 7 years ago on a Friday, I couldn't be more proud of the gang on this anniversary. Although I have become more of a lirker this last couple of years, i still love the site and am greatful to earl, Stuart, Scott and the gang I spent midnight Fridays with!

Edited by jheda, 03 December 2013 - 03:05 PM.

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#30 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

I am interested to know what the "inside" differences are, I assume there are reasons why certain things were changed.

There are only differences because there are 3 HR44 manufacturers, all are still being made.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#31 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,190 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:56 PM

It's year eight I want to know about.

• Herdfan likes this
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#32 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,306 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

Even though I switched to FiOS over two years ago I still find this group one of the best sources for information about satellite and cable TV.

Thanks Scott, Tom, Earl and all the other mods and posters who have worked so hard on this forum!  :righton:

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#33 OFFLINE   ragweed10

ragweed10

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

The Genie is the best DVR on the scene. Had the Hopper, Kinda like Black and White TV with-out a picture!   What is DirecTV's next surprise?

#34 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 448 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

There are only differences because there are 3 HR44 manufacturers, all are still being made.

That makes me wonder why three different manufacturers and what difference(s) that might possibly mean. For example, one could have a quieter hard drive, another could have a quieter fan, whatever. I guess DTV doesn't draw up the blueprint for how they want it designed, or did they change the design and that's why there are three versions? Kind of strange to me there are three versions of the same unit, and that arouses my suspicious nature :)

#35 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 317 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

Great write up!  I agree with Drucifer...I'm very interested in what year 8, 9, 10 are going to bring.  :joy:  

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#36 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

Most of the receivers have 3 manufacturers. All of the 44s are virtually silent because of the design the fan rarely if ever kicks in. There were no changes made so nothing to be suspicious of FYI, the number after the dash (-), indicates the manufacturer. -500 Humax -200 Samsung -700 Pace These are the 44 manufacturers. Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

#37 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 448 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

Most of the receivers have 3 manufacturers. All of the 44s are virtually silent because of the design the fan rarely if ever kicks in. There were no changes made so nothing to be suspicious of FYI, the number after the dash (-), indicates the manufacturer. -500 Humax -200 Samsung -700 Pace These are the 44 manufacturers. Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

No difference in hard drive audibility among the three? Are they using solid state hard drives?

#38 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

No SS drives. I don't remember if they all use the same brand hdd or not, I think the hard drives are visible in the First Looks for each. There are pics if the insides on all of them (I think)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

#39 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Oh and while I appreciate all of the thanks there are many more people that made CE what it is today, I came along much later.

Earl Bonovich

Donnie Byrd

Tom Robertson

Doug Brott

Stuart Sweet

Mike Bertelson

Greg Alsobrook

Michael D'Angelo

veryoldschool

(I apologize if I missed anyone)

These mods were all here before me, some have taken CE to a whole different level. ;)

Many of the members that participate in CE have been there longer than me and I thank all of the mods and members for letting me participate as a member and accepting me later as a moderator.

#40 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,961 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

There's 3 makes of HR44's but only 1 make of HR34 correct? With a 3:1 ratio, would you say the chances of getting an HR44 over an HR34 are greater? I know two people in the area with Genie and they are both HR34's but were installed when they started advertising "genie" on TV.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...