Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The DIRECTV HD DVR - Year 7

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,350 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

Consider that there's a business reason for diversifying your suppliers.

Consider that it could also affect quality.

Consider that it could have an even greater impact on consistency.
  • Cavicchi likes this

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

Consider that it could have an even greater impact on consistency.

Yes, that's what I meant by "quality."

Now we can consider that another consideration is considerably possible. :)

• Scott Kocourek likes this

#63 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

Yes, that's what I meant by "quality."

Now we can consider that another consideration is considerably possible. :)

Well that was a fail, I hit like on the mobile and was actually trying to quote.

Back to your post.  I get the feeling you aren't interested in the Genie because DIRECTV uses multiple manufacturers, you should know that they have done this for many years with equipment all the way back to the SD equipment.  DIRECTV is not alone on this, our local cable company does this too.  With them you may end up with multiple manufacturers and completely different equipment all considered the same, all of which will have completely different suppliers of components.  I'm not sure if it is Samsung you have the issue with, DIRECTV or if you just don't understand that just because they use different manufacturers doesn't mean it is bad.

Or maybe you just like being difficult for the sake of being difficult.  ;)

• JACKIEGAGA likes this

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#64 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

Well that was a fail, I hit like on the mobile and was actually trying to quote.

Back to your post.  I get the feeling you aren't interested in the Genie because DIRECTV uses multiple manufacturers, you should know that they have done this for many years with equipment all the way back to the SD equipment.  DIRECTV is not alone on this, our local cable company does this too.  With them you may end up with multiple manufacturers and completely different equipment all considered the same, all of which will have completely different suppliers of components.  I'm not sure if it is Samsung you have the issue with, DIRECTV or if you just don't understand that just because they use different manufacturers doesn't mean it is bad.

Or maybe you just like being difficult for the sake of being difficult.   ;)

I prefer to think that "Like" you gave me was not a mistake :)

I am coming back to DTV, install rescheduled for 12/10, just hope the weather holds up. No, I don't have any issues with Sam Sung, don't even know the guy :)

Seriously, I don't have issues with Samsung or Western Digital. As someone above mentioned, there is always the "possibility" using different parts for the same equipment could impact consistency. Let us say for example that different hard drives are used for the same DVR. One hard drive may be quieter than the other, and one hard drive may be more reliable than the other.

I am not trying to be difficult or find difficulty understanding but do recognize the difficulties that may exist. :)

Edited by Cavicchi, 07 December 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#65 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,744 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

Well, because Samsung makes hard drives and it looks suspicious seeing another hard drive manufacturer's hdd in there. Write codes? You have me on that one. I can use any brand hdd in my PC and it also writes :)

Understand DVRs are not at all like computers where the software is built with all kinds of drivers to run all kinds of different equipment. They have very little space to write drivers for the hardware and only write the bare minimum to make it work right. As they should. They have optimized their stuff to work with western digital av drives for a while now it seems, and adding in Samsung to the mix would widen what they have to code for. Will others work, sure, but are the drivers optimized, no, not in a DIRECTV machine. That's why they only recommend the wd av drives. I don't know if they have any segates in any new units or not, (haven't seen any) but its possible they have chosen to include two sets of drivers, but I don't see them going beyond two options ever anyway myself.

Plus, I am not sure Samsung makes a drive that will spec out against the wd av drives, that's not as much their forte. We are talking about drives running 24/7 and capable of writing and or reading up to 11 streams at once, all but one of which needs to be able to be hd av data.

And you are forgetting something else, DIRECTV probably can get one heck of a deal by buying all its drives from wd rather than Samsung and wd. And not one person knows based on marketing or packaging who is the maker of these units. This isn't a Samsung device. Its a DIRECTV device that Samsung assembles based in what DIRECTV wants and said to put in the unit.

Many companies build oem products for other companies. In fact almost all the big companies. Do you know how many actual different companies build the panels for plasm or led and LCD flat panels? No where near as many as the number of companies that sell them.

• Cavicchi likes this

#66 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

Most of the receivers have 3 manufacturers. All of the 44s are virtually silent because of the design the fan rarely if ever kicks in. There were no changes made so nothing to be suspicious of FYI, the number after the dash (-), indicates the manufacturer. -500 Humax -200 Samsung -700 Pace These are the 44 manufacturers. Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

I knew that about the fan, but I was much more concerned about the hard drive, especially because it is so large, 1 TB. However, to my amazement, yes, it is virtually silent. I would say silent but my hearing is not on par with our dog's hearing :) Amazing, truly amazing, 1 TB and I don't hear it.

I know my PS3 made some noise and I could hear it, and that was just a 160GB hdd. Thus, I can hear noise :joy:

#67 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

Glad you got the chance to find out for yourself.  

#68 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

Glad you got the chance to find out for yourself.  

And I really gave it a good test: First I listened with TV on mute, and then I played a recording on mute, thinking that maybe a recording would make a difference, but nothing that I could hear. In addition, there is no vibration.

#69 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:54 AM

Cleaning house and unpinning some of the older threads.

spam firewall