Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Picture issues with certain blu ray discs with samsung BD-F5900

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:29 AM

If I watch a new movie that is 10 years or younger it looks perfect on my tv. But if put on a movie like Jurassic Park on blu ray it is almost unwatchable. It looks clear and detailed, that's not the problem it's this specklyness everywhere especially on dark scenes. It's almost like watching analog tv broadcasts that are snowy. Is it supposed to be this way because it's an old movie on analog film or is there some kind of setting to adjust on the tv or blu ray player.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,618 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:32 AM

Source material used for Blu-ray releases determines picture quality, not the movie's age. The Dirty Dozen is a prime example. Some scenes are sharp and crisp, while others are grainy and soft. It's a very poor Blu-ray release. Jurassic Park has been released twice (2011 and 2013) on Blu-ray using different transfers. There's a debate over which is better. If you can, try viewing older films on Blu-ray like Casablanca, The Searchers, or Ben-Hur. They are excellent transfers and they look like the movie was shot last week. If you're still having the issues you described check the cables and settings on your equipment.  

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

To go one step further Film is a very good source. It does not suffer from lack of bits, Blockiness or any of the other faults digital can fall prey to.

IMHO Digital is not as good as good film or Audio. The main advantage of digital is that You can make exact copies.

My Guess is that Pictures taken with digital cameras will have a much shorter life than if they were taken on film. You can still reprint plates that were shot during the Civil War for example.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

My Guess is that Pictures taken with digital cameras will have a much shorter life than if they were taken on film. You can still reprint plates that were shot during the Civil War for example.

It's just the opposite. Digital media can be stored forever without degradation, subject to the life of the device on which they are stored. That means they'll need to be transferred at some points to fresh HDs, or to permanent media, which may not have been developed by now, but will be. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

However will there be any hardware available in 50 years to read the digital storage? As an example all electronics will die sooner or later. I have Stuff on a 5.25" floppy and no way to hook up the drives I saved to be able to read them. The new computers do not handle them. The old computers wore out. It would be even worse if I had stuff on 8" floppies. Or what about the Old MFM hard drives, that used a controller that plugged into a ISA slot on the motherboard. I have already had CDs that are unreadable. However the digital content on some of them is VCD and at that resolution who cares. The Ones that had Images, Oops. Things happen. Cheers
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

Valuable media files will be transferred to the new, as-yet-not-on the-market storage medium. If not, they'll be like the box of glass plates that got dropped, or the prints that molded or burned up in a house fire, or the ex-wife destroyed in a frenzy. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

Source material used for Blu-ray releases determines picture quality, not the movie's age. The Dirty Dozen is a prime example. Some scenes are sharp and crisp, while others are grainy and soft. It's a very poor Blu-ray release. Jurassic Park has been released twice (2011 and 2013) on Blu-ray using different transfers. There's a debate over which is better. If you can, try viewing older films on Blu-ray like Casablanca, The Searchers, or Ben-Hur. They are excellent transfers and they look like the movie was shot last week. If you're still having the issues you described check the cables and settings on your equipment.  

I just watched The Unforgiven with Clint Eastwood the other day in Blu-ray and it was magnificent!  Don't know how many times I've seen that movie, but this was the first time in that format.  

I've seen a lot of crappy BDs come from Netflix.  

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

If I watch a new movie that is 10 years or younger it looks perfect on my tv. But if put on a movie like Jurassic Park on blu ray it is almost unwatchable. It looks clear and detailed, that's not the problem it's this specklyness everywhere especially on dark scenes. It's almost like watching analog tv broadcasts that are snowy. Is it supposed to be this way because it's an old movie on analog film or is there some kind of setting to adjust on the tv or blu ray player.

I've got the same BD player and I have no problems such as you have encountered.  Yeah, some NF BDs don't seem as "BDish" as they could be, but it's not the BD player.  I also have two E6500s from a couple years ago and they put out a great BD picture, too.

I find the Sammy BD  players to be the best bang for your buck at the moment.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

I've got the same BD player and I have no problems such as you have encountered.  Yeah, some NF BDs don't seem as "BDish" as they could be, but it's not the BD player.  I also have two E6500s from a couple years ago and they put out a great BD picture, too.

I find the Sammy BD  players to be the best bang for your buck at the moment.

Rich

Another mistake!  I have a Sammy F7500, not the F9000.  Don't quite know how I screwed that up.   :nono2:

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

Is the Sammy device capable of a software/firmware upgrade??

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

Is the Sammy device capable of a software/firmware upgrade??

Yup, all the Sammy BD players I have get regular updates.  Well, not the older ones so much.  The older ones don't have the horsepower to show NF's Super HD so they're kinda forgotten.  I've tried a lot of BD players and I think the Sammys give you the best bang for your buck.  

Rich

spam firewall