Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading from HR22 to Genie

HR22 Upgrade Genie

Best Answer inkahauts , 01 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

And I'd go all genie and kill off the HR22.

Actually what I'd do is add a genie and mini genie to the HR22 and when you are done watching everything on it deactivate the HR22 and be at an all genie system. But you can take as long as you like as long as you don't mind the extra receiver fee while your doing that. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   DevilDogs

DevilDogs

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for all the great info.  I talked to DirecTV again today, and she confirmed that the programs could not be moved from one DVR to another.  She did tell me about the Genie Go.  I think that's what the other store rep was talking about on Friday.  From what I understand, the Genie Go allows you to copy programs to it from another receiver.  The bad thing is it does it in real-time, meaning 100 hours of programming would take 100 hours to copy.  That, and the $150 cost. :)  As I told the rep today, that's a lot of $6 / month fees.

I'm probably going to hold on to the HR22 for a month to get the stuff off of it.  Then decide what to do with it at that point.  I'll probably deactivate it and send it back.  Then hold off on getting another unit until later.  I like the idea of buying an older receiver or DVR.  Getting the RID will allow me to ensure the device is able to be activated.

One more question.  Can the HR22-100 do Whole Home DVR?  She told me it couldn't, but another rep said the HR21 could.  If the HR21 can, the HR22 should be able to since they're essentially the same, right? 

DirecTV subscriber since 2001

HR22-100, HDVR2 (not working), Samsung SIR-S300W.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,958 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

Yes, it'll be fine for Whole Home service.

As to GenieGo, it's a great travel companion, but it transcodes show to display on an iPad or similar. Much larger screens would be pixel-starved.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,296 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:27 PM

if if a show is deleted from the DVR it will get deleted from the GenieGo.  I also would assume that if the receiver is removed from the account, the recordings will be deleted on the GenieGo as well.

and GenieGo recordings on a mobile device will "self destruct" in 30 days 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#24 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

Thanks for all the great info.  I talked to DirecTV again today, and she confirmed that the programs could not be moved from one DVR to another.  She did tell me about the Genie Go.  I think that's what the other store rep was talking about on Friday.  From what I understand, the Genie Go allows you to copy programs to it from another receiver.  The bad thing is it does it in real-time, meaning 100 hours of programming would take 100 hours to copy.  That, and the $150 cost. :)  As I told the rep today, that's a lot of $6 / month fees.

I'm probably going to hold on to the HR22 for a month to get the stuff off of it.  Then decide what to do with it at that point.  I'll probably deactivate it and send it back.  Then hold off on getting another unit until later.  I like the idea of buying an older receiver or DVR.  Getting the RID will allow me to ensure the device is able to be activated.

One more question.  Can the HR22-100 do Whole Home DVR?  She told me it couldn't, but another rep said the HR21 could.  If the HR21 can, the HR22 should be able to since they're essentially the same, right? 

HR21 on up all can easily be used in a whole home DVR set up. HR20 is generally the one that has to be done through the cinema connection kit to add it to the whole home dvr because it doesn't have the right ports on back to added it to the moca set up and that is provided it is hooked to the satellite using a legacy port (HR20 that is).

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

#25 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,296 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

HR21 on up all can easily be used in a whole home DVR set up. HR20 is generally the one that has to be done through the cinema connection kit to add it to the whole home dvr because it doesn't have the right ports on back to added it to the moca set up and that is provided it is hooked to the satellite using a legacy port (HR20 that is).

what? There is no difference is connecting either an HR21 or HR20 to a WHDVR network. They both can be part of the network and they both are SWM compatible. The only difference is the HR20-100 that needs a special configuration.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HR22, Upgrade, Genie

spam firewall