Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Joey "required"?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LindaT

LindaT

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

I have two hoppers and three joeys - which cost alt monthly.  I'm wondering if I could get away with returning two of the joeys as I don't really use them, but would like to have tv reception in those rooms when we do use them.

Can I send back the joeys and just have the tvs connected via cable?  I understand that I will not be able to view any dvr programming in those rooms, but don't need to.  A $14 a month savings would be great!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 379 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

Do you have a Joey or Hopper with a cable output or are you asking about a cable company?

#3 OFFLINE   LindaT

LindaT

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

No cable to wall outlet for satellite connection.

#4 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 379 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:02 AM

No cable to wall outlet for satellite connection.

?????????????????????????

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,930 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:29 AM

a) you could send back all Js if you wish so

2) no you can't replace them - they are CLIENTs of Hopper

c) you could run to each three rooms HDMI cables from H's location and buy HDMI splitter 1:3, but it will force to see same program on all devices: H and Js

Edited by P Smith, 02 December 2013 - 01:29 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,026 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

No Joey, no TV. DISH doesn't deliver content other than through one of their boxes.

You can try distributing the video and audio output of the Hopper (or the remaining Joey), but that can get expensive if we're talking HD.

What we MUST know to help you:

1. How many different viewings might happen simultaneously?
2. Will Over The Air (OTA) be part of the equation?
3. Are the "optional" TVs HD or SD?

Edited by harsh, 02 December 2013 - 02:16 PM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   LindaT

LindaT

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

Thanks to everyone for helping with my question.

Here is some additional info:

All the tv's are HD. One is in a guest bedroom, the other a work out room.

Neither will be watched simultaneously.  

OTA antenna not installed in either room.

#8 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 605 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:05 AM

You might find a laptop running DishAnywhere connected to those TVs when they're being used to be a better option than paying for a Joey.  I wouldn't want to do a lot of channel surfing or recorded program watching (hard to skip commercials) with one, but if all you need is some basic programming, that would be relatively easy to do.

You'd need a Dish Sling Adapter if you have a Hopper 1.  One-time $50 cost.

Alternatively, you could get one of the wireless HDMI solutions out there, but they typically run $150 or more, and are single point-to-point systems.

• LindaT likes this

#9 OFFLINE   LindaT

LindaT

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:16 PM

Excellent - thanks!

#10 OFFLINE   jmsteffen

jmsteffen

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:51 AM

My Joey's are all connected to the Hopper via my existing home coax. With the 622 that I used to have, I was able to connect additional tv's in other rooms and pick up a signal (albeit on the same channel). I haven't been able to accomplish this with the hopper/joey's. Similar question as above. Any additional solutions?

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,026 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

My Joey's are all connected to the Hopper via my existing home coax. With the 622 that I used to have, I was able to connect additional tv's in other rooms and pick up a signal (albeit on the same channel). I haven't been able to accomplish this with the hopper/joey's. Similar question as above. Any additional solutions?

A third party RF modulator off of the composite output of the Hopper may be a good start.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

The Hopper doesn't have the built in modulator that the 622/722/222 had so you need the Joey or buy and wire in an external modulator. With a modulator you will lose HD pictures on connected TVs.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,026 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

With a modulator you will lose HD pictures on connected TVs.

It isn't a matter of losing something. Modulated HD was never offered in the ViP series.

Going from Joeys to no Joeys has its consequences to be sure, but I think the TS understands that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...