Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 DVR's

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JohnQ

JohnQ

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 81 posts
  • LocationFreshwater Bay Washington

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

Are HR20 DVR's Radio Frequency (RF) compatible????

Owned DTV in Motorhome - HR20-700, HR20-100, H25-700 with a Winegard SlimLine 3 Trav'ler (SWM) Antenna
Owned DTV in the Sticks & Bricks - H25-700, HR24-100, & HR24-500
Lease D-12-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,306 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

Yes they are. However the HR20-100 requires an external antenna.

#3 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

Yep. You'll need a dongle though. I usually just make a footlong price of coax with a fitting on one end and I strip back to show about 6" of the center conductor on the other end.

#)

#)

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,306 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

Yep. You'll need a dongle though. I usually just make a footlong price of coax with a fitting on one end and I strip back to show about 6" of the center conductor on the other end.

#)

Depends on the model. -700 is built in.

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,114 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

Depends on the model. -700 is built in.

I've been using my last active 20-700 for football games.  Still fast, still dependable.  Still blows away the whole 21 Series of HRs.

Rich 

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:56 PM

Love the external RF remote antenna jack.

Can run some coax from there to a mirrored TV and still have the feeble 10 foot range of the RF remote occasionally activate a desired function on the receiver.

(LOL, one side effect of having both D* and E* is just how bloody superior the E* RF remote is compared to the sad little wimpy D* one)

#7 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

The RF remotes work great for me fast and lots of range I can use it two rooms away no problem. 

Edited by PCampbell, 09 December 2013 - 11:13 AM.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,114 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

The RF remotes work great for me fast and lots of range I can use it two rooms away no problem. 

I was gonna comment on that, too.  But I've never had a chance to use a Dish remote, so I just took the Gov's post as a true statement.  Before we had MRV, I was using long HDMI cables between rooms and between floors and the D* RF remotes worked just like the HRs were in the room I was sitting in.  Can the Dish remote be that much better?  The Gov has obviously come to that conclusion and he seems pretty rational to me.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:48 AM

HR20's are kind of becoming the '67 Mustang of DVRs. Anything after (up to the HR24) is dumbed-down with cut corners and parts missing. If you just want reliable (comparatively) record and playback, or if you want OTA to keep transfer rights to recordings on your x drive, they are hard to beat. I think the Genies are really built to save DTV money more than to be convenient for subscribers, and there are a lot more things that can go wrong with a client/server setup.

But like a '67 Mustang, old means shelf-life looms for the parts, the power supplies and motherboards in this case, even in refurbs. So reliability is less of a factor the older they get. There is a point of diminishing returns, a tipping point where they will not be anyone's choice. I don't think we are there quite yet, but in a year or two I might not recommend something that old.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

I loved my old HR20 but the hard drive died and I did not want to spend money on there receiver. I got a HR24 from Directv as a replacement so all Is good.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#11 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,839 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

Can run some coax from there to a mirrored TV and still have the feeble 10 foot range of the RF remote occasionally activate a desired function on the receiver.

(LOL, one side effect of having both D* and E* is just how bloody superior the E* RF remote is compared to the sad little wimpy D* one)

What specific receiver did you use a antenna with? I can go across the street with rf remotes and use them on my DIRECTV receivers, and I haven't had one with the external antenna, so I have to wonder if that's where the issue lies...

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,114 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

The world awaits your answer to the questions.  

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

I have an HR20, an HR21 and a DISH Vip 722 on my main TV.  All are mirrored to a TV in the kitchen about 30 feet away. The 722 is on channels 50 and 55, the HR20 is on 60 and the 21 is on channel 66.

I use the Dish #2 remote to control content on channel 55, channel 50 is always whatever is on in the living room.  The Dish #2 RF works reliably from the kitchen and I use it most.  The HR21 I just never use because the remote doesn't work at all in the kitchen, and the 'matching' RF remote in the living room barely controls it from my chair about 10-12 feet away.

The DirecTV remote controls the HR20 from the kitchen adequately.  

Note: the 2 DirecTV remotes are both HR20 on D* mode, and HR21 on AV1.

It is annoying the DirecTV RF remote doesn't work the HR21 better, it has a somewhat larger hard drive and would be used more if the remote worked better.

The Dish RF remote antenna is on the back of the 722, the HR21, of course, is built in, and the HR20 I have on a piece of coax and is about halfway between the 2 TVs in the unfinished basement ceiling beneath the floor.  I don't watch DISH tuner 2 in the living room.

One oddity about the house, it has  the 1949 version of Du-rock under all the plaster.  That's my best guess why the D* remote is crappy, but it is weird it doesn't seem to bother the DISH RF remote nearly as much.

At some point, I want to put an HR44 on the living room TV and a C41 client in the kitchen, but with the holidays and business, I am just short of time. I will pair my AM21 from the HR21 onto the HR44, and will probably send the HR21 back.

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,114 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

I have an HR20, an HR21 and a DISH Vip 722 on my main TV.  All are mirrored to a TV in the kitchen about 30 feet away. The 722 is on channels 50 and 55, the HR20 is on 60 and the 21 is on channel 66.

I use the Dish #2 remote to control content on channel 55, channel 50 is always whatever is on in the living room.  The Dish #2 RF works reliably from the kitchen and I use it most.  The HR21 I just never use because the remote doesn't work at all in the kitchen, and the 'matching' RF remote in the living room barely controls it from my chair about 10-12 feet away.

The DirecTV remote controls the HR20 from the kitchen adequately.  

Note: the 2 DirecTV remotes are both HR20 on D* mode, and HR21 on AV1.

It is annoying the DirecTV RF remote doesn't work the HR21 better, it has a somewhat larger hard drive and would be used more if the remote worked better.

The Dish RF remote antenna is on the back of the 722, the HR21, of course, is built in, and the HR20 I have on a piece of coax and is about halfway between the 2 TVs in the unfinished basement ceiling beneath the floor.  I don't watch DISH tuner 2 in the living room.

One oddity about the house, it has  the 1949 version of Du-rock under all the plaster.  That's my best guess why the D* remote is crappy, but it is weird it doesn't seem to bother the DISH RF remote nearly as much.

At some point, I want to put an HR44 on the living room TV and a C41 client in the kitchen, but with the holidays and business, I am just short of time. I will pair my AM21 from the HR21 onto the HR44, and will probably send the HR21 back.

Thanx for the quick response.  Du-rock?  Something like Sheetrock?  If it was produced in 1949 it's probably loaded with asbestos. I don't really understand why one remote would be adversely affected by that and the other one wouldn't.  Might be the 21.  I dunno. Odd.  Maybe the Dish remote is just better.  First time I've seen a comment about the remotes such as you posted.  Curious.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

Dad called it cement lath. It is like Du-rock, but it is in strips, and is nailed on the studs, and then it was plastered over that.  My walls have an inch of concrete in them , and then thick plaster over that.  Any time I have had to put in an extra AC outlet, phone or TV jack it has been a headache.  No old work box has screws on the retention tabs anywhere close to long enough to deploy properly.  I have drywall screwed them into the material, but it doesn't hold very well despite it's thickness.  Fortunately for everybody else, that way of doing things wasn't around long.I very rarely encounter a customers home with that material, but there are a few houses with (thick) troweled on plaster over sheet rock.  Hell if I know why they did it that way.

One thing about my house, it will never blow away.  It is sagging from all the tonnage of cement in it however.  Kitchen floor is 2 inches out of level in 10 feet, and I'm sure it's the center of the house slowly compressing downwards.

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,114 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

Dad called it cement lath. It is like Du-rock, but it is in strips, and is nailed on the studs, and then it was plastered over that.  My walls have an inch of concrete in them , and then thick plaster over that.  Any time I have had to put in an extra AC outlet, phone or TV jack it has been a headache.  No old work box has screws on the retention tabs anywhere close to long enough to deploy properly.  I have drywall screwed them into the material, but it doesn't hold very well despite it's thickness.  Fortunately for everybody else, that way of doing things wasn't around long.I very rarely encounter a customers home with that material, but there are a few houses with (thick) troweled on plaster over sheet rock.  Hell if I know why they did it that way.

One thing about my house, it will never blow away.  It is sagging from all the tonnage of cement in it however.  Kitchen floor is 2 inches out of level in 10 feet, and I'm sure it's the center of the house slowly compressing downwards.

I lived in a house that was 140 years old in 1972.  We call that plaster lath here.  Here's a bunch of pictures on this link.  I used a lot of Wire Mold in that house.  I went into the attic once.  Knob and tube wiring up there.  Felt like I was being watched.  Looked up and saw about a bzillion bats hanging upside down.  Got out of there quickly.  

Rich 

#17 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

HATE bats.

Spiders and snakes not so bad, but I cannot be around bats.

{SHUDDER}

I don't like little barky dogs either . . . 

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,114 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

HATE bats.

Spiders and snakes not so bad, but I cannot be around bats.

{SHUDDER}

I don't like little barky dogs either . . . 

It got worse.  I went up in the attic to install an antenna.  The old house was so high I couldn't get on the roof and had to use a 40' extension ladder to get into a window that was the only inlet to the attic.  After installing the antenna and seeing the bats, I bailed out pretty quickly.  

When I hooked up the antenna I got snow.  Every channel.  My MIL owned the house and was living in Florida at the time.  My wife called her and asked her what kind of roof was on the house.  Metal.  Tin, bronze, copper, I dunno, but the antenna would not work.

Now, what to do?  I could leave the antenna where it was and just clip off the wire, but we were in terrible financial trouble and just buying the antenna was hard.  I ended going up into the attic and taking it down.  Wore a hard hat, many layers of clothes, had scarves wrapped around the hard hat and my neck and face.  This was in the summer.  Damn near died up there.  Every time I looked up, the bats were watching me and taking dumps all over the place and on me.  I finally did what I should have done in the first place, borrowed another longer ladder and mounted the antenna on the side of the house with a pole that just barely got the antenna over the top of the roof.  

I'd still like to know how the bats got in and out without ever being noticed.  I'd also like to know how the ceilings didn't collapse with all that bat dung that had been dropped over God knows how many years.  It was a horrible experience.  The house was recently demolished so I guess I'll never know the answers to my questions.

Rich 

#19 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

The stuff of which nightmares are made . . . 

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,114 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

Kinda amazing how we went from remotes to bats, no?

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...