Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Plans to make GenieGo stream live with DVR like response?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

Even with the old Directv2PC, we could FF to current time on a program that was streaming live (sports, etc).  Does D* have plans to do this in the future?  I have been very disappointed in what the GenieGo was capable of doing (my fault for not asking before I bought it).  Thanks in advance.

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,594 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

Good question, but those who know won't say, and the rest are left with guessing or hoping. In this case, there may not be anyone who posts regularly who knows, with one or two exceptions. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,771 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:06 AM

There are some real challenges to getting that kind of responsiveness and control remotely. If you have ever used a Slingplayer you will know what I mean. The need to buffer the data to allow for communication hiccups, the time spent transcoding, and simple propagation delays for commands, make it tough to do. Even services like Netflix and Hulu don't do fast forward or rewind very smoothly. Probably the only way to get even close would be some sort of RVU (or something similar) interface, but I don't think people would like having to pay an additional $6 per month for their iPad as an additional outlet.
  • Earl Bonovich and mrdobolina like this

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#4 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 299 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

Seems like another example of "Everything is amazing, but nobody is happy" to me.  Here we have this amazing little box (or boxes if you include similar devices like a Slingplayer) that allows you to basically watch your TV pretty much anywhere you can get a good internet connection (!!  Really!!!) and people are still disappointed in its capabilities.  Even if you were able to fast forward to live, it's still not live, even if you are on a Sling.  1st you have the time it takes for the signal to fly up to the satellite and back, then there is processing through the DVR, then the device has to transcode and buffer the data for streaming, then that data has to come through the ether, and finally the end user app has to transcode and buffer for viewing.  It's "live" to you, and that's what really counts. 

Nothing but love from me for my GenieGo.  I hardly use it for streaming.  Sometimes when I'm home and my daughter is watching one of her shows I'll stream a show from my DVR to the iPad, but really the genius of the GG is the ability to load programs onto my device for viewing without an internet connection.  The day I am able to download programs to my devices from out of home is the day this device will be absolutely perfect for me. 

• Supramom2000 likes this
DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Wellllllll........

never say never. The good news is that federal courts have upheld the right of a person to use placeshifting hardware (like a slingbox) but that doesn't mean that it's allowed by DIRECTV's retransmission contracts (or DISH's for that matter, even though they do it in their Hopper with Sling.)

There's no question that this technology is out there. There's no question that there could be one device that records it, streams it, and allows you to offload it. (Again, I know I'll get no love from this group here, but Hopper with Sling and DISH's Explorer app do it, and so does TiVo's Roamio.)

Why has DIRECTV not done it, especially where they own patents from ReplayTV and have access to certain older TiVo patents as well... that is the real question being asked. That's a question that's not likely to be answered in a public forum at this point in time.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,442 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

There's no question that this technology is out there. There's no question that there could be one device that records it, streams it, and allows you to offload it. (Again, I know I'll get no love from this group here, but Hopper with Sling and DISH's Explorer app do it, and so does TiVo's Roamio.)

Simple.TV will record and stream as well, with offloading "coming soon": http://www.solidsign....asp?p=STV-1000

/steve

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

Very true, Steve, very true.

#8 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 759 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

(Again, I know I'll get no love from this group here, but Hopper with Sling and DISH's Explorer app do it, and so does TiVo's Roamio.)

WRONG!

I love you for saying this.

Well, you know what I mean. Hopefully.

#9 OFFLINE   spedinfargo

spedinfargo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

I'm not necessarily looking for complete snappy trick-play responsiveness but I would LOVE to be able to press the 30-sec skip button multiple times and have it "queue" up the presses like when I'm at home.  Right now it takes longer than 30 seconds for the buffering to complete and return control to me!  Even a small change of not graying out the skip button would be awesome.  Or let me do something like press the "6" on my keyboard and then click on it and have it do 6 presses of it...

Makes watching my Timberwolfies (NBA) on the road almost impossible...

I did just get a Slingbox 350 (haven't set it up yet) so I'm curious what that experience will be like...

#10 OFFLINE   spedinfargo

spedinfargo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

By the way, I will still use the GenieGo for offloading of episodes... just not loving it for streaming...

#11 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,771 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

...I did just get a Slingbox 350 (haven't set it up yet) so I'm curious what that experience will be like...

I doubt that you'll love that for skipping either. I find that I always overshoot the commercials and backing up is painful - by the time you see you have overshot, hit the jump back button, the command gets transmitted back to the Slingbox, and is finally received by the DVR, almost the entire jumpback time has elapsed. As a result, jumpback just puts you back where you hit the jumpback. So, every set of jumpback commands needs one extra, to compensate for the lag. Jumping forward is a little easier, but again the transmission lag means that by the time you see the start of a commercial, press the skip button, and all the transmission and processing takes place, the playback is a good 10 seconds into the first commercial.

The only exception is Slingplayer for the PC or Mac. These players have their own local buffers, so going back is MUCH easier.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#12 OFFLINE   spedinfargo

spedinfargo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

I doubt that you'll love that for skipping either. I find that I always overshoot the commercials and backing up is painful - by the time you see you have overshot, hit the jump back button, the command gets transmitted back to the Slingbox, and is finally received by the DVR, almost the entire jumpback time has elapsed. As a result, jumpback just puts you back where you hit the jumpback. So, every set of jumpback commands needs one extra, to compensate for the lag. Jumping forward is a little easier, but again the transmission lag means that by the time you see the start of a commercial, press the skip button, and all the transmission and processing takes place, the playback is a good 10 seconds into the first commercial.

The only exception is Slingplayer for the PC or Mac. These players have their own local buffers, so going back is MUCH easier.

Yeah, I'll be curious to how it ends up going in production.  I literally just got it hooked up on Tuesday and haven't had too much time to play around with it.  True test will be when I'm on the road and want to watch a DVR'd Timberwolves game...  sports isn't as important to get the skip to work perfectly...  Just hit the skip six times and not worry too much if three minutes is too much and I miss the start of the action...

#13 OFFLINE   tonycsmoke

tonycsmoke

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSt Louis

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

Just purchased the GenieGo and while I appreciate some of it's functionality such as downloading to my tablet the resolution is much poorer then Direct2pc.  I'll often start recording a hockey game and fire up the laptop to watch with Direct2pc.  Worked great for the past couple of years.  Bought a new laptop and it won't work with it.  Decided to get the GenieGo and watching it took me back to the days of Standard Definition.

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,594 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

First, welcome to DBSTalk!

Second, sorry you are disappointed with GenieGo. It's really made for watching on an iPad or iPhone*, as you've seen with the small file size it uses. Great for travel, great for being offline. While it can stream, I seldom use that feature. 

*my opinion, of course.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   tonycsmoke

tonycsmoke

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSt Louis

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the welcome

I've used it to watch a couple of shows and it's fine for that.  I can see the benefits if your traveling.  We used the Direct2pc quite a bit - hooking the laptop up to a bigger monitor and watching TV outside by the firepit - playoff baseball (happens a lot in St Louis).  Maybe they will improve this cause I don't think they will start to support Direct2pc again. 

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,557 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

is getting better (will get better), at least on the iPad....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:12 PM

Simple.TV will record and stream as well, with offloading "coming soon": http://www.solidsign....asp?p=STV-1000

Would Simple TV work with Directv, or only on the OTA channels?

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#18 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

It only works with OTA or basic cable.

#19 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

It only works with OTA or basic cable.

Thanks Stuart.  I thought so, but appreciate the response.

---------Abraham Lincoln

spam firewall