Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Encore Classics and Encore Black

Direct TV added these

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:22 AM

I got a call tonight from a friend that has Direct TV and he reports that Encore has two new channels. Probably in line with Westerns, Drama, etc. Encore Classics and Encore Black. Are we going to get these two? Encore Classics seems to run a lot of old TV shows like Encore Westerns. Does anyone know? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

Encore Black is a rework of Encore Drama, Encore Classics is a rework of Encore Love. DISH has drama and love (channels 345 and 346). They have not renamed the guide yet.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 915 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

Watch out for rebranding!

It's what some cable networks do best.

:)

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

The Encore channels are in the AT 250  Package and Everything Package. Hopefully Dish can the rest of the Encore channels in HD soon.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#5 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 215 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for the info. I am glad we have the two channels, but I wish Dish would be quicker on rebranding the channels.

Patrick

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

We're still waiting for Al Jazeera America to replace Current TV - in the guide. :)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 215 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

Al Jazeera we were discussing a while back and as you noted, it is still listed as Current TV. Hopefully Dish will get busy and relabel all 3 channels.

#8 OFFLINE   tuck2694

tuck2694

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

Dear Dish,

I would like you to provide to your customers, Encore channels in HD.

Thank you,

Faithful Multi-year Customer

#9 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 215 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

I agree I which all of the Encores were in HD.

#10 OFFLINE   dbspr

dbspr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

and ENCORE en ESPANOL in HD.

#11 OFFLINE   corbeaukt

corbeaukt

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationJoplin, MO, USA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:44 AM

Hooray!  I noticed yesterday, Sunday, that Current TV is finally listed as Al Jazeera America!

#12 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hooray!  I noticed yesterday, Sunday, that Current TV is finally listed as Al Jazeera America!

Yep they finally changed that back on Dec 4th, it did take them a while.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#13 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,879 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

and ENCORE en ESPANOL in HD.

Encore Espanol doesn't have an HD feed. The only Encore channels with HD feeds are Encore, Encore Action, Encore Black, Encore Classic and Encore Suspense.

#14 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

Encore is  cheaper than STARZ that's for sure. That's why canceled STARZ.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#15 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 215 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:49 PM

I like the variety of all of the Encore channels running a mix of older movies and TV shows.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:09 PM

Nothing lasts forever. I considered Encore a movie channel package. Long blocks of old TV shows is something I'd expect on TV Land or Nick @ Nite. I suppose channels adapt or die but seeing more channels change their purpose makes me wonder which will be the next channel to change.

#17 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

James, that is because there are too many channels chasing too little programming material, we get more channels but the crap ratio goes way up.

Same is true with HD channels, the number of "HD" channels has burgeoned but the HD programming has taken a serious nosedive, half of what we already have is not worth watching.

We need fewer channels, fewer HD channels and better quality.

Gone are the days where a distributor like Dish or Direct can boast of having more channels that whomever - WHO CARES - 4hours of programming repeated 6 times a day is not worth the money and neither is most of the other dumb stuff we are assaulted with.

Looking at a typical week, I probably actually watch 10 hours of programming and for that I pay about $100 per month.  Others in the house watch some of the same, some different programming, but it is becoming more evident to me that the price is too high and the quality is too low.

Even decent shows (a BBC recycle) that I watch like "Wheeler Dealers" are now recycling their older shows and hyping them as "classics", re-editing them to spread things thinner.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#18 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 215 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

It is nice to have the old TV shows without commercials though.

#19 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

Nothing lasts forever. I considered Encore a movie channel package. Long blocks of old TV shows is something I'd expect on TV Land or Nick @ Nite. I suppose channels adapt or die but seeing more channels change their purpose makes me wonder which will be the next channel to change.

AMEN to that.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who views this "re branding" [ come on people, it's just a cheappie out] as a downgrade of a movie package.

I also agree with jim5506 regarding the crap ratio.

As I flip through my favorites list [ in the 250 package]  I wonder why I even sub to this package as there is very limited quality programming there, and it is getting narrower.

All this and dish is upping the sub fees. Well, time is comming to scale back, just like Encore, and it's crappy tvland reruns.

chris

spam firewall