Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Kicking and screaming to upgrade

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Horsepower

Horsepower

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

I have been putting off calling for an upgrade from my 722 for almost a year, but I finally did it. I asked some specific pre-upgrade questions (which I though mattered more than they do) and of course they told me nothing but lies. The MOST important was to be able to transfer from my external hard drive, which an escalated phone tech told me is "in the works" But then, after 13 years with Dish, I should understand I am nothing but a stepchild. Other than that, after 2 hours of use, the Hopper and Joey seem to be ok.

Edited by Horsepower, 04 December 2013 - 06:04 PM.

722 - L676

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

You can transfer your 722 programs to EHD and it will work with your Hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   Horsepower

Horsepower

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

Thank you for that, but the EHD worked fine with the 722. When the tech installed the Hopper, I got a screen that said an EHD was recognized. But when I got into the EHD, I get what is shown on the attachment. If I unplug the EHD I get a message "a multimedia device has been removed" but when I plug it back in, no message. I called the 800 number and spent a half hour talking to 2 techs, and the result was "a fix is coming" I am not optimistic.

Attached Thumbnails

• EHD.JPG

722 - L676

#4 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

Be patient some things take 24-48 hours to work on the hopper after installation.

#5 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

Contact a member of the DIRT team by PM. See http://www.dbstalk.c...ct-information/. Ask them to do a re-hit for your account.

#6 OFFLINE   Horsepower

Horsepower

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:36 AM

WOW Patience paid off, the drive now shows and works fine. Thanks RBA

This is a great resource, and a great idea. Thanks thomasjk

Now, for some best practice questions, should I start a new thread (for example: should I connect Joey to internet, and prime time vs timers for certain shows)

Thank you.

722 - L676

#7 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

I believe the acts of attaching and removing an EHD from any Dish receiver requires a reboot in every case.

I know with my 722k it did.

I haven't attached any of my 722k EHDs to my Hoppers since the drives are so large they do not fill up on me (I delete programs after watching them except in rare occasions).

I Have prime time active on one Hopper and off on the other.  The Mrs. has discovered she watches more network TV now because EVERYTHING on all 4 nets is recorded and she can watch it whenever.  The only problem is occasionally my Hopper2000 drops CBS and NBC one night  - a power cord reboot fixes that).  Never set timers for big 4 network shows anymore.  PTAT shows can be saved out of PTAT so they are not replaced after 8 days.

After the last software download my Joeys show up on my router as MOCA devices even though they are only connected by coaxial cable.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#8 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

This is one of the downsides and upsides of forums. The downside, now the poster has a thread that implies you can't watch your EHD from a 722 and DISH lied when they said you could. That's all some will read and a non truth gets elevated.

The upside, the OP was given good advice that was correct.

Edited by tampa8, 06 December 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

I believe the acts of attaching and removing an EHD from any Dish receiver requires a reboot in every case.

I know with my 722k it did.

My 722K has never required a reboot to attach or remove.

When a new drive is connected for the first time and formatted, a reboot happens.

#10 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 649 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:52 AM

I Have prime time active on one Hopper and off on the other.  The Mrs. has discovered she watches more network TV now because EVERYTHING on all 4 nets is recorded and she can watch it whenever.  The only problem is occasionally my Hopper2000 drops CBS and NBC one night  - a power cord reboot fixes that).  Never set timers for big 4 network shows anymore.  PTAT shows can be saved out of PTAT so they are not replaced after 8 days.

When you save a show that was recorded in PTAT does it save the entire show, including the piece that goes "over" into the next show? For example, when I record The Crazy Ones (the Robin Williams show) the outakes at the end always get cut off because I'm recording another show after it. Thanks,

#11 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

Yes.

#12 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

Does anyone know if autohop stays with a recording if you move to EHD?

#13 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,176 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

Does anyone know if autohop stays with a recording if you move to EHD?

Yes it does.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...