Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Possible ice storm

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   android.cphone

android.cphone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

I'm in texas so this does not happen often but we have a rain event moving in with a high likelihood of the event turning into a freezing rain sleet event. Dose anyone have a suggestion of somthingbto spray on dish to prevent icing? I think I can get to it from porch safely

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,009 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

Unfortunately there is not too much you can do to prevent icing.  A dish heater works but for how rare freezing events are for you it would not be worthwhile.  People have claimed things like Pam or silicone spray help but IMO all that does is gum up the dish.  At this point your best bet would be  a Super Soaker or equivalent filled with warm water

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

Some have (facetiously) suggested bolting the SWiM16 to the dish . . . 

:coffee

#4 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

If you get enough ice build up on your dish to cause signal loss try a stream of water from a garden hose. Just becarefull the hose isn't cold and brittle or it will break easily.

#5 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

We have had ice events in South Texas before.  Ice build up has never caused any problems on my dish in the past.

#6 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:57 AM

We had an ice storm here about five years ago that left over an inch on everything. Caused all sorts of problems, but Directv reception wasn't one of them.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:38 AM

Even when I lived in the frozen North I rarely had loss of signal due to ice.  I think maybe two or three times the snow came down so hard it impacted reception but even that was rare.  Been in San Antonio some ten years now, with DirecTV the whole time, and we've had maybe two or three really bad winter weather events, ice storms not snow, during that time.  Worst was maybe seven to eight years ago that did some damage to my pool equipment but no obvious impact on my DirecTV reception. 

Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#8 OFFLINE   DFWHD

DFWHD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:52 AM

I'm in the DFW area and have only had ice muck up reception twice in the approx 15 years I've had D*. Both times it appeared that the LNB was a the issue, as it was covered in ice and had a giant icicle hanging off it. The dish had only a light coating of ice. Who knows, a light coating could have done it too, but I guessed it was the LNB. Once it thawed, life was fine.

An HD Addict Since 2006 - Must Have More HD Nationals...

#9 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,813 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:01 AM

See this ice storm warning. And, they are forecasting "ONE QUARTER TO THREE QUARTERS OF AN INCH OF FREEZING RAIN"

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#10 OFFLINE   LynnW

LynnW

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

Rustoleum NeverWet

I haven't tried it, but there is a picture of a dish on the packaging. The third review on the webpage raves about.

#11 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

Rustoleum NeverWet

I haven't tried it, but there is a picture of a dish on the packaging. The third review on the webpage raves about.

I think that's may be a shill review, since rain fade has nothing to do with water droplets on your dish.

Maybe it helps for ice/snow, I have no idea, nor do I have any idea whether it would be safe to put on the LNB cover. You would need to reapply it at least yearly, maybe more often. Some utility tried it out on power lines (for icing) but found the protective effect didn't last long enough to make it worthwhile. Not sure what "long enough" meant for them.

I think if you have a problem, a dish heater is the best solution if you have an inaccessible dish (NeverWet wouldn't stop drifting or heavy snowfall from burying the dish from below) or brushing snow off with a broom and using warm water for ice if your dish is accessible.

FWIW, eight winters in Iowa, no problems at all. Despite that I have considered maybe getting a dish heater...just because it hasn't ever happened to me doesn't mean it is impossible :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

spam firewall