Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mob City on TNT

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,420 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

tumblr_static_mob_logo_yellow.jpg

I'm only 15 minutes into tonight's DVR recording and I know I'm hooked.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

Everything that is on TNT has that Law & Order look.

#3 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,737 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

I watched that last night and it felt like I had already seen this in the past.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

tumblr_static_mob_logo_yellow.jpg

I'm only 15 minutes into tonight's DVR recording and I know I'm hooked.

I felt I was going to like this from the first preview I saw. I was right.

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

Zap2it comments are particularly vicious. Lots of folks still hold a grudge for the cancellation of Southland, apparently.

They did hit on one thing which is that any promotional campaign outside of TNT was pretty minor, and that may have let to ratings well below those of programs they have already cancelled.

The other comment I agreed with is that it is probably more a burn off than something with miniseries or event status.

About a year ago there was a lot of buzz about an adaptation of LA Noir, and I think this might have been the outcome.

What may have hurt them is that whatever promo campaign they had, centered on tommyguns and associated violence. If they had hilighted some of the meat of the story (yeah, there's meat) and tried to invest us in the characters and their particular drama, I think that would have been more effective. Meaningless violence is not something to hang a story on, and MC is much more than that, but you would not ever know it by the promos they were running.

It's a tough genre; The Sopranos significantly raised the bar, as did Goodfellas and The Godfather. But none of them used violence as their central story, and all used it just as the backdrop for a real story about real people. MC is valiantly trying to do the same, but the promos are under-cutting them off at the knees. Trying to make a mob show that lives up to what has gone before is like trying to come up with a space show that can get out from under the looming shadow of Star Trek (BTW, I think it might be time to bring that back to TV). Having your promotion department undermine your efforts is the last thing they need.

I sort of liked the story better than I thought I would, and will try next week's ep.

Edited by TomCat, 05 December 2013 - 07:31 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

Everything that is on TNT has that Law & Order look.

I guess you are right, that is if Law & Order were shot in 1947 LA instead of present day NYC. I also can't recall any episodes of LAO in twenty seasons where they were fighting hordes of invading space aliens.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

Are the episodes two hour each?  I'm going to record the rerun on Saturday and notice that next week's show is two hour also.  

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:16 AM

What Mob City reminds me of is Chinatown - same era, same city, same sleaziness,

Wonder if they try to do a scene with a Brown Derby restaurant?

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once

#9 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

One of the characters - Hecky Nash, I think - uttered that famous Cagney quote from the movie "White Heat", "Top of the world!"

The show takes place in 1947.  The movie was released in 1949. :sure:

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

What Mob City reminds me of is Chinatown - same era, same city, same sleaziness,..

Good call. You just named my favorite movie and my favorite genre. But I know Chinatown, and this is no Chinatown.

I was pretty jazzed a few years ago when FOX said they were making LA Confidential as a series. Never happened, of course. Another great movie (with a standout from Kevin Spacey and a great cameo from Danny Devito), but what made it great was the growth of the characters from first scene to last, something hard to stretch out over a long story arc.

#11 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:04 AM

Good call. You just named my favorite movie and my favorite genre. But I know Chinatown, and this is no Chinatown.

. . . .

Didn't say it was. It just reminds me of Chinatown.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once

#12 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:29 AM

Didn't say you did.

It should remind you. The seedy underbelly of LA in 1947 usually reminds folks of the seedy underbelly of LA in 1947. About all that is missing in MC (other than better writing) is a hard-boiled private dick.

#13 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

Another show that snuck on without any fanfare and you have to catch up to it after the fact, but it seems there's no way to go back and catch the first ep. If networks want to hook an audience, how do they expect to do so when they don't make the pilot ep available on VOD for late-comers??

#14 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

My point exactly. It was doomed from the start without decent promotion and with limited access, regardless of how good it may or may not be. And now the ratings are so low that they probably won't rerun it. They should at least post it on their website.

I noticed in the credits that this was indeed adapted  from L.A. Noir.

It seems they got caught up in the 13 million viewers that watched The Walking Dead, and tried to hang their hat on Frank Darabond, who was central to creating both shows. Except of the 13 million who watched TWD, only about 13,000 either know or care who Frank Darabond might even be, and even if more did, that does not extrapolate in any significant way to getting folks to tune in. For whatever reason, this got the "red-headed step child" treatment from TNT. It is a classic example of how NOT to make your TV adaptation successful. First, it is a planned series adaptation of a promising book, then it is cut to 6 eps, then they burn it off during December. I don't get it.

Ep 2, not as good, more violence, less story. The event with the banana was handled poorly. You have to go back to The Sopranos to see how to handle that, as they did with Joey and the pool cue.

#15 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

But surprisingly. ep 3 was pretty terrific. Lots more drama, and enough to support the lots more violence being organic to the story. I was pretty impressed, and this is one of the standouts of this year in TV, IMHO.

And the cars. Wow, I can't even get over that yellow Checker cab that Milo was riding in. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all present-day NYC taxis were high-tech hybrid on the inside, but looked like that gorgeous thing on the outside, all retro? There was a Cord in ep 2 that looked pretty snazzy as well.

I really think that should be a thing, and I think there would be a market to support it, and by it, I mean car manufacturers making new cars with retro 1947 body styles. So, Detroit, Japan, Germany, you can take that idea and run with it free of charge, my treat.

Edited by TomCat, 19 December 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:11 AM

Just finish watch the last episode and I must admitted that it left me wanting more. Does anybody knows if it be renew?

#17 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

Finally finished this.  Also wanted more, and it looked like they left it with that possibility.

Only predictable part for me was the merry-go-round scene. You didn't know for sure who was gonna get killed, but they just couldn't resist the cartoon cliche of someone was gonna start the damn thing up and be a twenty-minute shootout. Saw that one coming from 10mi out.  (Wouldn't it've been much easier just to roll off and wait for your "target" to come around, whichever guy you were?)

All in all mostly compelling and well-played characters.  I, too,  loved the cool old cars and retro street scenes. 

spam firewall