Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Black Mirror

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

If there are any sci-fi fans here, this new "Black Mirror" drama series is exceptional. Not silly sci-fi with zombies and aliens, it's a serious and thoughtful Ray Bradbury-style exploration of what technology in the near future is going to mean to humans. As usual, Brits destroy American TV in terms of scripts, acting and directing.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

I totally agree! Just as Rod Serling mirrored the issues of his time with Twilight Zone, Black Mirror does the same. It's the most thought-provoking sci-fi I've seen in awhile. My partner and I discuss the episodes in depth, and there's not much content out there that gets that attention.

#3 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

What channel?

Just found it. One demand 1239"

Edited by yosoyellobo, 05 December 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

Black Mirror airs Tuesdays at 9 PM ET/6 PM PT on DirecTV's Audience Network.

They have really cute girls on the show...

ku-xlarge.jpgblack-mirror.jpg

...and it's beautifully scored and shot. Clearly the most thoughtful and probing sci-fi series ever on TV.

Regarding the programme's content and structure, producer Charlie Brooker noted, "each episode has a different cast, a different setting, even a different reality. But they're all about the way we live now – and the way we might be living in 10 minutes' time if we're clumsy."

An Endemol press release describes the series as "a hybrid of The Twilight Zone and Tales of the Unexpected which taps into our contemporary unease about our modern world", with the stories having a "techno-paranoia" feel. Channel 4 describes the first episode as "a twisted parable for the Twitter age". Black Mirror Series 1 was released on DVD on 27 February 2012.

In November 2012, Black Mirror won the Best TV movie/mini-series award at the International Emmys.

Announced on 12 July 2012, the second series began broadcasting on 11 February 2013. Like the first series, it is made up of three episodes with unconnected narratives.

Robert Downey, Jr. has optioned the episode The Entire History of You, to potentially be made into a film by Warner Bros. and his own production company Team Downey.

Charlie Brooker explained the series' title to The Guardian, noting: "If technology is a drug – and it does feel like a drug – then what, precisely, are the side-effects? This area – between delight and discomfort – is where Black Mirror, my new drama series, is set. The "black mirror" of the title is the one you'll find on every wall, on every desk, in the palm of every hand: the cold, shiny screen of a TV, a monitor, a smartphone."

Edited by Maruuk, 05 December 2013 - 09:27 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,753 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:23 AM

I'll look at the On Demand episodes first before I'll setup a Series Recording.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'll look at the On Demand episodes first before I'll setup a Series Recording.

Note that there are only 6 episodes total (it aired in the UK as two 3-episode "series").
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#7 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 917 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

Did they already delete the first two episodes? I just see the 3rd episode of season 1 and the 1st episode of season 2 on demand.

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,753 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

Note that there are only 6 episodes total (it aired in the UK as two 3-episode "series").

Well then.I'm down 4 and 2 to go.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#9 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

Definitely a weird and hard-to-nail-down series format. My vid grabber says 2 more.

#10 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

Did they already delete the first two episodes? I just see the 3rd episode of season 1 and the 1st episode of season 2 on demand.

You might check again, I just saw this thread and when i looked all 4 episodes were listed in on demand - season 1 eps 1,2 and 3, season 2 ep 1

My Setup

#11 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

Could they be watch out of order?

#12 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

Could they be watch out of order?

Yes, because each episode is self contained. I'd still try to watch them in order if you can, which seems to let the theme of the series sorta evolve.

#13 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

I see. Thanks.

#14 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Now if they could only talk like they all came from Omaha. I can't begin to tell you how tired I am of trying to decipher Brit accents, especially unnecessary ones, but I will check this out on your rec.

No tinfoil hat here, but I almost believe they made Ichabod Crane an original Brit on Sleepy Hollow because it was easier than getting Tom Mison to do the American accent. If there is any competing extraneous noise, I need CC to keep up. But at least he knows how to enunciate, which is a lost art in Hollywood. Nathan Filion, Adam Brody, I love 'em both, but I would also like to smack the mumble out of them. And I love no one more than Jon Stewart, but I hate his tendency to go really soft and then really loud. He's better than that.

And that Simmons chick on S.H.I.E.L.D ? Just shut it already.

OK, I'm all better now.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#15 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:30 AM

Just turn on the subtitles. I use that a lot for Brit shows like Downton Abbey, only way to make sense of it.

#16 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

Ichabod Crane IS British. Gotta remember that the New Engand accent currently around today is a falloff of the British accent. George Washington probably had a British accent.

#17 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

The new TV directing style allows a lot more quick, mumbled, "thrown away" lines than in the old days. Add in the odd colloquialisms of the Brits and you miss half the dialog. I rely on subtitles a lot.

#18 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 917 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

Found them all on 239 on demand, still not all of them on 1239 on demand, odd.

#19 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

The new TV directing style allows a lot more quick, mumbled, "thrown away" lines than in the old days. Add in the odd colloquialisms of the Brits and you miss half the dialog. I rely on subtitles a lot.

I agree.  I can hear sports programming crisp and clear.  But when it comes to scripted programming I need to use earphones and I do not miss a thing.    Could be my advanced age.  LOL

1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#20 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

...Could be my advanced age.  LOL

I think there is more to it than that, or that I played in a number of rock "power trio" bands in my youth (although neither of those helps). I think much of it is due to the fact that back in the day primitive mic and audio technology made it necessary to project, which is also why live theatre was actually folks "yelling" every line. But now mic and audio techniques are mature and effective, and live theatre typically uses wireless mics on everyone, meaning that they could whisper and we could still reinforce it properly for the audience.

But that is not a license to do so. There is a great focus these days on an acting technique where lines are delivered with little volume and very "breathily", as if that connotes character, or sex appeal, or testosterone, or whatever. But real artists do not rely primarily on technique, they rely on talent, and using such a technique for the sake of using such a technique is just stupid, even if you ARE a great actor. About the only one that comes to mind who has been able to do this effectively is Jim Caveziel as "Mr. Reese" in Person of Interest. If John Reese were a loudmouth he would not be as interesting, probably, but at least we would be able to hear his asides as he kneecaps assailants.

So him I give a break to, but it usually ends up annoying anyone trying to hear what the writer intended us to.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall