Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Not real happy with new install (Internet related)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ces1948

ces1948

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

Today I had Dish service installed to replace DTV. I have one hopper and 3 joey's. Prior to the to the installation I installed new Cisco powerline adapters and tested the ethernet connection on the one adjacent to the hopper location. The connection was fine and showed about 21mbps down. Today the technician was not able to get a connection test to work at that location via ethernet but did get it connected to same network via wireless. After another tech showed up and after they conferred they installed a Hopper Internet Connector in another room where the router is located and fed it back to the coax from there. Everything seems to work but I don't get why it had to be done that way as I now have about a 10' ethernet cable strung along the wall and two long coax cables also running along the baseboard.
I retested the powerline ethernet connection at the hopper location and it is still working fine so that leads me to ask a couple of questions.
1. Are there any known reasons why the Hopper wouldn't connect to the Internet via the powerline ethernet device? if no known issues could I move the HIC to that location and duplicate the setup by running the incoming coax to the HIC and then to the Hopper in addition to running the ethernet to the powerline adapter? seems like that should work.
2. If my scenario won't work can I just use the wireless connection that the hopper currently has and still get the right programming to the Joeys while doing away with the HIC box.
I would appreciate any help and would be happy to clarify anything I haven't explained clearly.
Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:21 AM

I used a Netgear Powerline adapter on my Hopper when it was first installed and had no problems.  I have since run ethernet directly to one of my Hoppers so I no longer use it, but it did work without any problems.  I am not familiar with your Cisco equipment, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.  Have you tried power cycling your router?  BTW you only need connection at the Hopper and it will share to Joeys through the MOCA using bridging.  With 1H/3J setup you want to make sure that you are not getting conflicts by only having 3 tuners shared at 4 locations.  There is a window (not sure how long) where they will let you upgrade the 3rd Joey to a Hopper for a reasonable amount, which would alleviate tuner conflicts.  You might want to contact a DIRT rep on this site to see what your options are.

Edited by david_jr, 06 December 2013 - 08:37 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,273 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

What's the goal here?

If it were an older ViPx22, I'd suggest that DISHComm was getting in the way (they had powerline built-in) but I'm pretty sure the Hoppers don't have powerline.

If you're going to hide the coax, I'd wholeheartedly recommend hiding a CAT5e along with it.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall