Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Blacklist renewed

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,741 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2...html?hpt=hp_bn9

Though I do find it odd that they compare the ratings to Earth 2, which only ran 22 episodes.

• n3ntj likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

Though I do find it odd that they compare the ratings to Earth 2, which only ran 22 episodes.

NBC cancelled a good show 19 years ago and have been going down hill ever since.

1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#3 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

Cool.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,615 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

Nice to hear. It's one new series I really like.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

The ending for the first half was really a hanger with him saying no.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#6 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

The ending for the first half was really a hanger with him saying no.

Well they at least finally addressed it, of course we don't know the truth yet but at least her question brought it out in the open. Also thought it was interesting introducing Alan Alda's character as the shadowy figure behind the world's evil doings so to speak. Maybe this series equivalent of the CSM from the X-files, always in the shadows and makes an appearance here and there for a poignant moment. 

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#7 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

Good to hear, I am in the target demo and I think this is the only NBC show I watch.  Can't believe its almost been 20 years since Earth 2, I loved that show as well.

#8 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 351 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

Now I am going to go pull out my Earth 2 DVD set!!  Loved that show.

Blacklist is an excellent show, probably the first NBC show I have watched since the Knightrider reboot.

HR44-700, HR22-700, HR21-200, SWM16

#9 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

Good show.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

It's not quite as simple as a ratings comparison. The story here is that it has the best ratings of any new NBC show since that show, a show that ran 19 years ago and was cancelled after 22 eps, a show that few of us or virtually anyone outside this forum even remembers. I loved it and booed it's cancellation then.

This just goes to support Warren Littlefield's "Top of the Rock", which claimed that NBC was run by true programming geniuses at one time, and since that time, has quite obviously not been (even though it was one of those "geniuses" that made this claim).

So if NBC cancels what is probably the best new show in 5 years, from anyone, we should probably not be all that surprised.

After all, how many new shows has NBC put out in the last 19 years, ~150? Seeing as how neither the ratings for Earth2 nor The Blacklist have set the world on fire, that makes their batting average pretty dismal, way under the Medoza line.

Edited by TomCat, 08 December 2013 - 12:00 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:57 AM

While I think "The Blacklist" is good, it's on after "The Voice." I'm not sure what the ratings would have been like on Thursday at 10:00 pm against "Scandal" and "Elementary" with a lead-in from the dismally-rated NBC comedy lineup.

But then again I'm not really sure why it matters what the small portion of Americans in the 18-49 age group who watch TV live are watching. But it apparently does matter more than anything.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#12 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

I think it could have held its own. But no one should ever assume that an unknown quantity (a new show) is a safe bet against two well-established very popular shows that are also at their creative peaks. That's like trying to stop a locomotive with a full head of steam by parking your Prius C on the railroad tracks.

But now that TBL is not an unknown quantity and has ratings, a following, and critical acclaim, don't be too surprised if parking TBL on the railroad tracks of Thursday at 10 is not exactly what NBC does. Of course they would have to beef up the leadin some or it would be suicide and they would end up moving it again. A "special showing" on Thursday while those other shows are in rerun might be a clue that they are testing those waters, and a success like TBL is exactly the kind of show you haul out for something like that.

Folks complain that the best shows are always on at the same time. Well, there's one reason why. It is also part of network programming shooting itself in the foot; it makes DVRs look that much more attractive.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#13 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

To bring an old topic up.  I am starting to sour on the show.  Just the parts with Elizabeth and her Husband.  It is so bad now I skip all the parts with those two as it is the same thing over and over, she works too much and misses everything they had scheduled.  I know there is going to be more to her husbands story but at this point I don't care about that character at all.  I'll go out on a limb and say I am not the only one sick of that currently pointless time filling story line.  Hope they button that up sooner rather than later or I think it will be the beginning of the end for the show. 

#14 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

It's the weakest part of the show. I keep hoping they go wherever they expect to go with that, but now I wonder if they even know where they are going.

Robert Bianco of USA Today has a problem with the level of gruesome violence, and I guess I was ignoring that, but he's right. He compares it to Criminal Minds in that way, and he thinks CM is the most reprehensible show on TV because of that. I sort of agree; CM was a show I loved for a couple years but never really understood why, then I outgrew it or got tired of it hanging everything on the violence and evil, and doing little else.

So IMHO the difference between CM and TBL is that TBL does everything else, and they do it well (except for the "Tom" storyline). IOW, while I wish they would find a way to lower the evil/violence quotient without diluting the show, as long as they keep doing everything else as well as they do, I will cut them a break on that. But CM knows only how to fill our face with evil/violence and they sleepwalk through the procedural part which is predictable and boring; I won't tolerate the evil/violence if it has nothing else along with it to ameliorate that.

Of course the other thing they have is James Spader, who is very hard to beat. The show is worth it for his genius alone.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,584 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

Robert Bianco of USA Today has a problem with the level of gruesome violence, and I guess I was ignoring that, but he's right.

I nearly gave up on the show due to the violence at the end of the last year. The most recent episode (with adoptions) did not seem to be over the top as the previous shows (surgery scenes where the criminal modifies a person so their body matches forensics, torture scenes where someone abducts an abuser then gives them identical injuries to the person they abused). It seems that a lot of shows go for the gratuitous violence aspect. I normally consider it a sign of weak writing. If you can't write a captivating story put some blood and gore on the screen. Unfortunately after a while the level of blood and gore needed to get attention has to be more violent than other shows ... and the art of storytelling is lost.

I once enjoyed the Law and Order series but gave up on SVU when it became just a cavalcade of how sexual perverts hurt people. There are some things I just don't want to know - especially labeled as entertainment. Do I really want to be entertained by some writer's horrible fantasies - even if they are "based on a true story"? No, I don't think so.

There are some storylines that need resolved - Toms is one of them. With him becoming unfaithful I wonder if Red will deliver some more information to harm him. Protecting Elizabeth.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

I agree on the evil/violence. We gave up on Criminal Minds after only a few episodes due to it. Red's nonchalance about killing is getting more disturbing, too. A character needs to have some redeeming qualities so the audience can identify with him.

Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

spam firewall