Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need help with RC71 remote

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

Tonight, my RC71 remote suddenly quit working while I was in the middle of watching TV.  It would no longer control any device (HR44, TV, or AVR).  I checked the batteries, but the batteries were still good.  After putting them back in the remote, it started controlling the TV (on/off) and the AVR (volume), but not the HR44.

Using the front panel, I was able to bring up the remote control setup, from which I tried resetting the remote.  After following the instructions (hold Mute-Select, then enter code 981), the remote started communicating with the DVR.  However, this reset the remote to IR and lost the codes for controlling the TV and AVR (as expected).  I then went into the menu for programming the remote and tried to program it back to RF mode.

I have tried multiple times but simply cannot get the remote back into RF mode.  I followed the steps carefully (hold Mute-Select, code 961, channel up, then Enter).  After these steps, the remote starts blinking repeatedly for a while, then flashes red and stops.  No response from the Genie, and the remote remains in IR mode.  Since I cannot get the remote in RF mode, I cannot program it for the TV and AVR.

Before you ask, yes I'm positive I'm pressing Enter and not Select on the last step (which seems to be a common mistake).

Any ideas???

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Gary16

Gary16

Mentor

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:31 AM

Did you try putting in fresh batteries?

#3 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

Did you try putting in fresh batteries?

Fresh batteries don't help.

It looks like I'll need a new remote.  It's a shame, for this remote is only about three months old.  It's the second time the remote stopped working properly, but the first time I was able to get it working again after reprogramming it.  No such luck now.

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,717 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

Does it not work in RF? Mine is in RF and its IR controls my TV and AVR. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

Three thoughts:

1.  DIRECTV has been known to replace broken remotes at no charge, especially one as new as yours.

2.  As an alternative, have you considered dowloading the DIRECTV App to your Android phone or your iPhone?  I did this recently and discovered much to my joy that controlling my network conected DVR's from a phone or mini tablet is faster and more reliable than RF or IR control.

3.  I bet there are plenty of new/used remotes on ebay or Amazon at a reasonable price if DIRECTV declines to replace yours.

Good luck.

Dave

Edited by Leftcoastdave, 06 December 2013 - 12:55 PM.

Ut Prosim

#6 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Does it not work in RF? Mine is in RF and its IR controls my TV and AVR. 

My problem is that I cannot even get the remote into RF mode.  Read my initial post more closely.

Three thoughts:

1.  DIRECTV has been known to replace broken remotes at no charge, especially one as new as yours.

2.  As an alternative, have you considered dowloading the DIRECTV App to your Android phone or your iPhone?  I did this recently and discovered much to my joy that controlling my network conected DVR's from a phone or mini tablet is faster and more reliable than RF or IR control.

3.  I bet there are plenty of new/used remotes on ebay or Amazon at a reasonable price if DIRECTV declines to replace yours.

Good luck.

Dave

Thanks for your thoughts.  I don't think I'll have any difficulty getting a replacement remote.  I was just hoping there was a way to fix the remote I have so that I wouldn't have to go through the hassle and wait for the new remote to arrive.

#7 OFFLINE   b52pooh

b52pooh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

With the RC71 in direct sight of the HR44/C41, press and hold the "Mute" and "Enter" Buttons simultaneously for 4 seconds.

The LED on the remote will begin blinking green. After a few seconds, the RC71 will communicate with the HR44/C41, automatically set both into RF and pair them together. You will then receive an on-screen message stating "Your Remote is now setup for RF."  Press Select on the remote to exit the message on the screen.  The remote and the HR44/C41 are now paired to each other and should operate all DIRECTV features.

If these steps are successful, you will need to re-program the TV and AV unit.  If the above steps fail, then you should get a replacement RC71.

• harsh likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,717 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

My problem is that I cannot even get the remote into RF mode.  Read my initial post more closely.

That's an odd statement to someone who's only trying to assist. I wrote "does" instead of "did" which is what I was trying to ask—did it work previously in RF; terribly sorry. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

With the RC71 in direct sight of the HR44/C41, press and hold the "Mute" and "Enter" Buttons simultaneously for 4 seconds.

The LED on the remote will begin blinking green. After a few seconds, the RC71 will communicate with the HR44/C41, automatically set both into RF and pair them together. You will then receive an on-screen message stating "Your Remote is now setup for RF."  Press Select on the remote to exit the message on the screen.  The remote and the HR44/C41 are now paired to each other and should operate all DIRECTV features.

If these steps are successful, you will need to re-program the TV and AV unit.  If the above steps fail, then you should get a replacement RC71.

I tried this method but to no avail.  After holding Mute+Enter, the RC71 blinked for some 30 seconds, then flashed red.  On the screen, a message popped up saying it was applying IR/RF status, but that's as far as it got. I had to clink on the Cancel button in the dialog (after the remote reverted to IR mode).

A replacement remote is being shipped now.  I am convinced now that the remote I have has gone bad (at least I hope it's the remote and not the HR44, which won't be so easy to replace).

#10 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

You're not trying the above through glass or other doors are you?

aka Tivoburkee

#11 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

You're not trying the above through glass or other doors are you?

Thanks for the idea, but I had been trying this with the glass cabinet door open, so that there was nothing between the RC71 and the HR44.  I even tried moving the remote close to the DVR (within a foot), but that didn't help either.

Recall that before I reset the remote, it was controlling the TV and AVR but not the DVR.  The remote was in RF mode at the time.  I'm thinking the RF transmitter in the remote has gone dead, which would explain why attempts to put the remote in RF mode now fail.

#12 OFFLINE   jhsanchez

jhsanchez

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationTucson AZ

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

I am having a problem with it as well but I cannot get the enter key to act as the "change input" key for my TV.  All I get is the mini info screen (blue button thing on older remotes).  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim Sanchez - Tucson AZ
Retired Electrical Engineer

#13 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,355 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

I've also had my remote stop controlling my HR44 out of the blue.  I did a menu reset on my receiver and then it worked fine.  Never had any more issues.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,257 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

I am having a problem with it as well but I cannot get the enter key to act as the "change input" key for my TV.  All I get is the mini info screen (blue button thing on older remotes).  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Press and hold the Enter/Input key.

JACK,

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Thanks

Hmmm, do you have an RC71?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...