Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Sues Dish Network Reseller Over Sales Tactics

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

A Dish Network Corp. (DISH) reseller instructed sales staff to say they worked for DirecTV (DTV) and wear its logos when trying to get customers to switch their service to Dish, DirecTV claimed in a lawsuit.

Dish One Satellite, based in Provo, Utah, is accused of having its employees identify themselves as DirecTV representatives and falsely tell customers that Dish and DirecTV are part of the same company and DirecTV service had been generating complaints, according to the suit filed in federal court in Sacramento, California.

“Defendant Dish One sent the Dish One sales force out wearing shirts containing an unauthorized reproduction of the DirecTV trademarked name and logo (alongside the logo of Dish Network),” according to the Dec. 2 complaint.

Rest of article here: http://www.bloomberg...?cmpid=msnmoney

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

Personally if I were Dish Network I'd yank this company's authorized reseller status so fast it makes their head spin. Two reasons, first it makes Dish look bad, second if this company's employees are showing up wearing shirts that have both logos I wouldn't be surprised if they also sell DirecTv to existing Dish customers. I've heard of resellers that sell both and use this tactic, they show up and just convert the customer to the other company no matter which they have and get paid for a new install.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

(I've already reported this)

Around a year ago we had a door to door outfit hawking both services.  No matter which one you were already on they wanted to switch you.

I'm thinking (unfortunately) the Provo outfit ain't an isolated problem . . .

:down:

#4 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:18 AM

External and internal hijacking is rampant and non-exclusive. D* sometimes has accounts cannibalized by disreputable dealers, just to steal a sale from another dealer. They call 20x if needed, picking until they get the needed info, then slam the account. Sounds a lot like telcos! Typical caller is from overseas with a fake google voice US telephone number.

Crazy.

-=K=-

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

Personally if I were Dish Network I'd yank this company's authorized reseller status so fast it makes their head spin. Two reasons, first it makes Dish look bad, second if this company's employees are showing up wearing shirts that have both logos I wouldn't be surprised if they also sell DirecTv to existing Dish customers. I've heard of resellers that sell both and use this tactic, they show up and just convert the customer to the other company no matter which they have and get paid for a new install.

Except dish owns a controlling interest in this company too since August of this year. That makes this a lot more difficult to just pull their license.

Sounds like plenty of people, need to be fired after I read an article about it in the Los Angeles times today.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...