Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie on C31 has been great, would you switch to RVU?

RVU Genie C31

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jsclarke

jsclarke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

Hello everyone... I just purchased a 75" Samsung 6300 series LED TV that supports RVU.  At that location I currently have a C31, which (knock on wood) has been pretty stable for the last few months.  Would you seasoned pros recommend trying the RVU instead of the C31, or just keep what I have.

I know I'd lose the ethernet port- but that "smart TV" isn't that smart from other owners so I could use the bluray player or AppleTV for Vudu etc.   I've already got DECCA with is serving up internet.  Anyway- think it's a good idea to swap that C31 with RVU?  Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 840 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

No real advantages to using the TV as a client. 

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,925 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

Other than one less box, there really is no benefit. You'd be paying the same. I'd stick with what you have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,586 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

I know I'd lose the ethernet port-

Why would you lose the ethernet port?  the same cable that connects you to "RVU" connects you to the internet.

on your topic, I would keep the C31.  RVU TVs must rely on 3rd party for any software updates, with DirecTV you know for sure they will always be updated, more than they need it to...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,526 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

Well technically the C31 is RVU too. But as has been pointed out, co-ordination between the Alliance partners with regard to DirectTV's firmware changes on the Genie may have some periods of lag. As of the latest firmware releases, the C31 has been rock solid.

If it were me, I would let the Genie and the external vendor RVU Alliance pairings mature before I would feel comfortable relying a non DirectTV client.

Don "hey wait a minute that is me" Bolton

Hello everyone... I just purchased a 75" Samsung 6300 series LED TV that supports RVU.  At that location I currently have a C31, which (knock on wood) has been pretty stable for the last few months.  Would you seasoned pros recommend trying the RVU instead of the C31, or just keep what I have.

I know I'd lose the ethernet port- but that "smart TV" isn't that smart from other owners so I could use the bluray player or AppleTV for Vudu etc.   I've already got DECCA with is serving up internet.  Anyway- think it's a good idea to swap that C31 with RVU?  Thanks.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#6 OFFLINE   slapshot54

slapshot54

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

Don't do it. Samsung RVU is a disaster. The DVR functions are a complete joke, and if you use any trick play functions you are out of luck. I'd stick with what you have if it's working well.
  • damondlt likes this

#7 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,900 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

You can switch to RVU - it will de-authorize your C31 - the code for the remote RC71 is 54000.  Maybe their client has improved?

Post your results here.

And then you can switch back to your C31 with no problem. . . other than resetting the remote.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RVU, Genie, C31

spam firewall