Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Watching recordings with Genie and minis

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

Since the Genie (HR44) has one hdd and the minis (C41) do not have a hdd, can say I watch a recorded program on main Genie and my daughter watch a different recorded program on her mini (41) at the same time? So that would be two different recordings being watched at the same time with one on HR44 and other on Mini C41.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,751 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

That's not a problem. Even remote watching from a DVR doesn't involve the drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

That's not a problem. Even remote watching from a DVR doesn't involve the drive.

But aren't the recorded programs on the hard drive? I am talking about 2 different recordings, which I assume are on the hard drive (HR44), one being watched on HR44 and a different recording watched on the mini (C41) at the same time, and no problem?

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,751 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

They are on the hard drive of the machine that recorded them, but I'm saying even if you play it back from a different DVR, it's not copied to that drive.

You can actually play back different things on thee different clients at once while watching something local.

#5 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

They are on the hard drive of the machine that recorded them, but I'm saying even if you play it back from a different DVR, it's not copied to that drive.

You can actually play back different things on thee different clients at once while watching something local.

Well, there really is one DVR, the HR44. The minis, C41, do not have a hard drive. So all recordings, I believe, are on the HR44, which is the only one with a hard drive. So when I watch one recording on the HR44 and my daughter is watching a different recording on her mini client, C41, at the same time, both recordings are accessed from the HR44, correct? Now if that is the case, the HR44 hard drive is being accessed for two different recordings at the same time, and that amazes me.

#6 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,705 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

You are correct in your example and it is designed to stream 3 clients while maintaining current operations for itself. Disk techology, buffering, etc all make this transparent. Your home PC is designed for so many purposes and has so many other services and components in play whereas the DVR is a essentially a single purpose device.

Most disks today have multiple disk layers and read/write heads on a single spindle and fles are commonly written in a method called striping which deploys pieces of the file across all the heads and layers. It is no longer a single platter and head that has to traverse the single layer like a phonograph needle. Contigous file space is almost always a detriment in today's IO world but there is some optimization in keeping the blocks themselves (think pages) filled with respect to the operational requirements of the device/devices using them.

Don "it's all smoke and mirrors" Bolton

Well, there really is one DVR, the HR44. The minis, C41, do not have a hard drive. So all recordings, I believe, are on the HR44, which is the only one with a hard drive. So when I watch one recording on the HR44 and my daughter is watching a different recording on her mini client, C41, at the same time, both recordings are accessed from the HR44, correct? Now if that is the case, the HR44 hard drive is being accessed for two different recordings at the same time, and that amazes me.

• Cavicchi likes this

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,751 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

It really isn't much different from the fact that the genie can be used to record 5 things at the same time, while playing back something recorded. Of course in that situation,mthe client can't be used to watch live tv on another channel, but that's a tuner limitation.

#8 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

You are correct in your example and it is designed to stream 3 clients while maintaining current operations for itself. Disk techology, buffering, etc all make this transparent. Your home PC is designed for so many purposes and has so many other services and components in play whereas the DVR is a essentially a single purpose device.

Most disks today have multiple disk layers and read/write heads on a single spindle and fles are commonly written in a method called striping which deploys pieces of the file across all the heads and layers. It is no longer a single platter and head that has to traverse the single layer like a phonograph needle. Contigous file space is almost always a detriment in today's IO world but there is some optimization in keeping the blocks themselves (think pages) filled with respect to the operational requirements of the device/devices using them.

Don "it's all smoke and mirrors" Bolton

I'm not sure I understand everything you said, but I think you answered my question :)

In other words, yes, my daughter and I can watch two different recordings at the same time. :righton:

#9 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,705 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

You bet even while it records even more!

Don "it slices, it dices, and it won't take over the house like the electric vibrating clocks" Bolton

I'm not sure I understand everything you said, but I think you answered my question :)

In other words, yes, my daughter and I can watch two different recordings at the same time. :righton:

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

Not only two different, but the same recording too.

You or she can pause/start at different times/places and not affect the others playback.

Genies are a true "whole home" DVR.

A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

Not only two different, but the same recording too.

You or she can pause/start at different times/places and not affect the others playback.

Genies are a true "whole home" DVR.

You guys got me so excited about DTV that I rescheduled the install from 12/12 to 12/10. If it wasn't for the expected weather, I would have scheduled for tomorrow or Monday.

What can I say except this is amazing!

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

You can record five things off sat, download another via Internet on demand, and watch four other previously recorded things (one at the tv connected to the hr44 the other three at other remote tvs with clients) all at the same time. And its all happening not he exact same hard drive. Got to love technology. ;)

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

Er, Inky, remember they're just two people at this point in time! 

!rolling

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,161 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

Gotta dream big!!

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

I didn't hear him say he didn't have ten tvs in one room for football Sundays, so..... ;)

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

:rolling:

:bang

!rolling

#17 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

Er, Inky, remember they're just two people at this point in time! 

!rolling

Nope, three, also have a wife. And, one dog and three cats, so maybe three and a half :)

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,330 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

Nope, three, also have a wife. And, one dog and three cats, so maybe three and a half :)

you might want you count the dog as well, don't forget about there is DogTV...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

you might want you count the dog as well, don't forget about there is DogTV...

I'm afraid to ask, but here goes, what is DogTV? Is that a station devoted to dogs? I mean, a station they setup for dogs to watch, like showing cats and how to track them down? :)

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

'Zackly! 

!rolling

spam firewall