Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Railroad Alaska on Destination America

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,726 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

36248.jpg

Who's watching Railroad Alaska?

I'm a train enthusiasts, so naturally I had to tune in to see if it was going to be any good.

Well while the Alaska train has a big spot in the weekly show, it is the people they serve that are the stars. Their normal everyday lives are something I would never try to attempt.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,424 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

I didn't know about this one. It seems kind of like Flying Wild Alaska, in some ways. I'll have to check it out.

#3 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:34 AM

Watched since the first episode and like the way that the interaction between the "off gridders" and the railroad is shown. Also how tough running a railroad in Alaska is overall. D Peters you could think of it as the land based "Flying Wild Alaska". I miss that show.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#4 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:15 AM

Watched one episode.  Not enough trains and too many people who are train wrecks.

Wife and I were curious because when we were in Skagway, AK on display was a huge locomotive with a rotating snow cutter/thrower on the front of it.  That is the kind of stuff I wanted to see.  Now using the howitzer to start avalanches was cool, but I have seen that several times on IRT.

The couple who "just discovered" they were out of propane was a joke.  How about you order some propane when you hook the last tank up, not when you randomly check on the day the camera is there and then freak out.  Felt a little sorry for the 40 year old virgin though.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

Watched one episode.  Not enough trains and too many people who are train wrecks.

Wife and I were curious because when we were in Skagway, AK on display was a huge locomotive with a rotating snow cutter/thrower on the front of it.  That is the kind of stuff I wanted to see.  Now using the howitzer to start avalanches was cool, but I have seen that several times on IRT.

The couple who "just discovered" they were out of propane was a joke.  How about you order some propane when you hook the last tank up, not when you randomly check on the day the camera is there and then freak out.  Felt a little sorry for the 40 year old virgin though.

That you can probably blame that on the director who wanted to put urgency into the script and changed the ordinary task to an emergency one. That's the difference between a reality and a documentary program. The director doesn't feel comfortable with ordinary hardships. They want life to be fill with drama moments.

To enjoy the show, you must learn to ignore the director foolishness of making a hard life even more unbelievable with fake emergencies.

Edited by Drucifer, 08 December 2013 - 11:00 AM.

• Henry likes this

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#6 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

That you can probably blame that on the director who wanted to put urgency into the script and changed the ordinary task to an emergency one. T

Agreed.  It would have been easy enough to create the urgency by simply stating their propane order was due to come that day and that was good because they were almost out.   Don't create the stupid "oh I just checked and we better order some" nonsense.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,424 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

I watched the most current episode. I do kind of wonder, how do the young off griders make money? Parents, their oil money from the state, state assistance (which generally can't be used for a lifestyle choice ). Living off grid isn't exactly free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

Well, the spouse of the girl who just had the baby, works and is gone a lot during the week. In an earlier show, a friend came by to stay with her, this was before the baby was born.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,424 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

Well, the spouse of the girl who just had the baby, works and is gone a lot during the week. In an earlier show, a friend came by to stay with her, this was before the baby was born.

Ok, nothing like that was in the episode I saw. That's one heck of a commute, even if it's not daily.

#10 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

I have a dear friend who's considering moving away to Alaska with her high-school sweetheart whom she just reconnected with after 30+ years apart.  Trying to tell her how *isolating* that situation can be seems to have no effect on her.

#11 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

All it would take with my wife is the footage of the outhouses most of the off-gridders seem to prefer on the show.

#12 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

I have a dear friend who's considering moving away to Alaska with her high-school sweetheart whom she just reconnected with after 30+ years apart.  Trying to tell her how *isolating* that situation can be seems to have no effect on her.

I would think 98% of Alaskans live near towns and not along a railroad track.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#13 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

[...]

To enjoy the show, you must learn to ignore the director foolishness of making a hard life even more unbelievable with fake emergencies.

I agree.  After watching Ice Road Truckers for a few seasons, it's easy to see when the directors take a lot of dramatic license.  Little difference here. Nonetheless, and as you suggest, putting that in the back of your head, it's still fun and entertaining to watch this show.   

I love railroading; I'm envious of off-gridders, and I love Alaskan life and its demanding wilderness.  I get some of all of this with this series.  Go get 'em, Animal!

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,424 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

Where in Alaska? I mean, Anchorage has a population around 300,000. 40% of Alaskan residents live there. Plus they have roads that actually leave town and go somewhere. Can't get that in Juneau.

#15 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:37 AM

Of course you have to ignore the "drama" interjected by the production team.  It is nonsense.

I do like this show (I like Railroad shows also).  It was shot 8 months ago (a calendar with April was shown) - I wonder how it would play out in December.

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,424 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

The last episode was ridiculous on the manufactured drama. I cannot believe that someone could possibly not realize they were low on blood pressure medicine for an entire week.

Good result for the Road Master that was laid off.

#17 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

I wonder what the people who "live off the grid" do for a living, if anything, how do they get money to pay for the propane and diesel fuel? What do they do with their trash?

Insteresting show though.

#18 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

The last episode was ridiculous on the manufactured drama. I cannot believe that someone could possibly not realize they were low on blood pressure medicine for an entire week.

Good result for the Road Master that was laid off.

That's possible. As I been there, done that. You go to the cabinet to get the next bottle and then realized you didn't order it. And I got the Internet and email to assist me.

Edited by Drucifer, 15 December 2013 - 03:07 PM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#19 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

Didn't the 'low on propane' couple have wood heat?  So the propane is for a generator or stove or something.  They aren't going to freeze to death.

#20 OFFLINE   Carol VanDerMeer

Carol VanDerMeer

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • Locationhawaii

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

Will somebody please explain to me what these young "off the gridders" do for income???  Fuel, medical supplies, Machinery, all cost $$$......living the dream life off the grid still requires money....My first guess would be government assistance which kinda' takes the bloom off the rose for these glorified "brave pioneers" !!!!!

spam firewall