Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Railroad Alaska on Destination America

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,348 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

If I remember right, the one young guy does go off working for a few weeks at a time.

It also helps that there is no state income or sales tax. Plus, everyone that has lived there for a full year generally gets about $1000+ from oil, including children.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Carol VanDerMeer

Carol VanDerMeer

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • Locationhawaii

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

If I remember right, the one young guy does go off working for a few weeks at a time.

It also helps that there is no state income or sales tax. Plus, everyone that has lived there for a full year generally gets about $1000+ from oil, including children.

#23 OFFLINE   Carol VanDerMeer

Carol VanDerMeer

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • Locationhawaii

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

Wow.. No state or sales tax.. Everybody gets$1,000. 00 pet year for doing nothing ... I guess Sarah Palin wasn't so dumb after all !!!'

#24 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,796 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

They're also paid for the show.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#25 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

Oh, let's see ... as sigma notes, there's the show money, but other possible sources are working when not filming, seasonal job income, selling fur and other wild things, personal wealth, inherited funds ... I'm sure there are other sources.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#26 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,348 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

Wow.. No state or sales tax.. Everybody gets$1,000. 00 pet year for doing nothing ... I guess Sarah Palin wasn't so dumb after all !!!'

It's all because of oil. That and extremely large pieces of undeveloped land, very few paved roads outside of cities themselves. I mean, this is the only state in the country that you can't drive to, from anywhere.They used to have a high tax burden. Once the Trans Alaska Pipeline was built in the 70s, things changed.

#27 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:27 AM

It's all because of oil. That and extremely large pieces of undeveloped land, very few paved roads outside of cities themselves. I mean, this is the only state in the country that you can't drive to, from anywhere.They used to have a high tax burden. Once the Trans Alaska Pipeline was built in the 70s, things changed.

Its a long a drive but you can drive to it, through Canada, I've done it a few times as I grew up in Alaska. The only place you can't drive to is the state capital.

Alaska Highway info > http://en.wikipedia..../Alaska_Highway

Here is some info on the Permanent Fund program > http://www.apfc.org/...und/fundFAQ.cfm

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 17 April 2014 - 06:34 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,348 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

Whoops, I missed a word, I meant to say capital. The state you can't drive to is a different one :)

#29 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,093 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

Whoops, I missed a word, I meant to say capital. The state you can't drive to is a different one :)

Hawaii comes to mind.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#30 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,348 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

Hawaii comes to mind.

Yep, only one until Puerto Rico or some territory becomes a state. But roads in Alaska outside of cities are fairly limited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#31 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 377 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

No state sales tax, but many cities and boroughs (counties) have them.  In Sarah Palin's Wasilla, the sales tax rate is 3%.  The highest is in Kodiak and Wrangell at 7%.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

spam firewall