Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

self-install and HD receiver H24/H25/Genie mini availability

H24 H25 genie self-install

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ryans7700

ryans7700

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

I currently have a simple Directv SWM setup:  A Genie HR34-700, and one HD receiver H25-500 in another room.  In my coax junction box outside, the installer utilized a 4-way SWM splitter (MSPLIT4R1-02), leaving 2 unused outputs.

Now I'm interested in adding two more HD receivers (probably H24 or H25 models) in two bedrooms that already have coax runs to the outdoor junction box.  So all I would need to do is remove the 2 75-ohm terminations from the unused ports on the splitter, and attach the two coaxes.  Then it is a simple matter of connecting the new receivers to the coax receptacles in the bedrooms.

The new system will have 8 tuners (the max for my SWM LNB):  5 for the Genie, plus 3 for 3 HD receivers.

So my question is, can I do this myself (self-install) or will I need to pay Directv for a service call?  The Directv website is not clear on this.  My preference is for them to just send me the boxes and let me do it myself.  However I've read on these forums that DTV can be apprehensive on self-installs.

If self-install is an option, will they "pre-activate" the boxes or will I need to call?  If self-install is not an option, what would it cost for a tech to drive here and screw in 2 coax lines?

My next question is about availability and pricing of the various receivers.  The info on Directv's page is confusing or non-existent.  I am also considering "Genie mini" which I understand does not contain a tuner but rather utilizes a tuner from the HR34.  No price is given.  If I select the "HD receiver" option, it shows H24 in the text but a picture of the H25.  Not sure what they are currently shipping.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,661 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

. . . .
So my question is, can I do this myself
. . . .

Yes. It should just as you describe if there are no issue with coax cables that are already run to those two rooms.

There's no price difference between a mini and H2x

Edited by Drucifer, 08 December 2013 - 12:27 AM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   ryans7700

ryans7700

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:40 AM

The coax should be good:  builder style RG6 just like the others, and they aren't significantly longer than the other runs.  I will mention that when I call, in case they try to talk me into a pro installation.  I will keep my eye out for sales on the HD receivers.  The H24/H25 appear to be $99 now according to the website but I think they were free a week or two ago (probably with a limit of 1).  Thanks for the info.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,288 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:58 AM

most of the time DirecTV requires a tech visit when adding new outlets rather than replacing existing ones. but YMMV...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:14 AM

I can understand the need for a tech visit when a swn setup isn't yet confirmed, but in this case it obviously is. There should be no reason to require a tech to do the installation.

#6 OFFLINE   ryans7700

ryans7700

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for all the replies... sounds like if I do a good job explaining the situation, I might be able to avoid the tech visit.  Is there a good brick-and-mortar where I could talk to a DTV rep in person, and maybe even pick up the actual receivers?  Might be easier than phone/internet.

#7 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,009 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

It wont be free, but SolidSignal.com can supply the receivers or Genie minis and will ship the model you specify.  You then install and call DirecTV to activate.  One important note, even though it feels like you are buying the receivers from a store, they are still leased.

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,288 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for all the replies... sounds like if I do a good job explaining the situation, I might be able to avoid the tech visit.  Is there a good brick-and-mortar where I could talk to a DTV rep in person, and maybe even pick up the actual receivers?  Might be easier than phone/internet.

DirecTV does not have any walk in stores.  everything is done through the mail or internet...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   ryans7700

ryans7700

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

I like the SolidSignal idea.  Is the activation process fairly simple?  Is it better to activate directly with Directv or through SolidSignal's activation hotline?

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

I don't think you use SolidSignals activation line for this case. When I got my Genie from them, I just activated through DirecTV directly. Simple and painless.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,288 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

Yes, you need to call DirecTV to activate, SS can't activate.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,009 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

I tried calling the SS number last time and when I said I was adding a receiver to an existing account it just transferred me to DirecTV.  I think the activation line is for new accounts only as I guess SS gets a commission for setting up the account.  The activations process at its core is very simple, you give the agent your account and receiver ID and they send an authorization signal.  Depending on tha agent you get you may have to go through some test routines such as "tune to this channel, what do you see"

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,251 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

I can understand the need for a tech visit when a swn setup isn't yet confirmed, but in this case it obviously is. There should be no reason to require a tech to do the installation.

When new outlets are added, there's always a concern.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

When new outlets are added, there's always a concern.

Because why?

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,288 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

Because why?

DirecTV might think there is...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

DirecTV might think there is...

Could you possibly be any more nebulous?

#17 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,656 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

He's saying DIRECTV in its experience finds anything beyond a strait up swap to be dicy at best with customers because almost all don't have a clue how it's supposed to be properly wired and terminated and such and they'd rather not have to send a fix it crew and replacement boxes and have a customer with down time which always results in a mad customer at DIRECTV even if they caused the outage themselves.

#18 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:13 AM

He's saying DIRECTV in its experience finds anything beyond a strait up swap to be dicy at best with customers because almost all don't have a clue how it's supposed to be properly wired and terminated and such and they'd rather not have to send a fix it crew and replacement boxes and have a customer with down time which always results in a mad customer at DIRECTV even if they caused the outage themselves.

Could well be, on Directv's side. I'd like to hear him say that, instead of the vague "I know what I'm talking about and you don't" attitude.

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,251 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

Because why?

Because for a vast majority of the population, self-installing is overrated.

DIRECTV has made it clear in its financial documentation that it wants to address the support and satisfaction issues and sending out boxes to people that are using crusty old RG59 with inferior termination and hardware store splitters is not in line with that desire.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#20 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

most of the time DirecTV requires a tech visit when adding new outlets rather than replacing existing ones. but YMMV...

My dad had 2 clients shipped to him for self install. Of course I had to go out there to install them, had to switch some cables around, and thanks to everything I've learned on this site, we had no issues doing it. :D

So they will ship receivers to you if you ask them.

Yes, you need to call DirecTV to activate, SS can't activate.

According to this article it can be done
http://forums.solids...ellite-receiver

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: H24, H25, genie, self-install

spam firewall