Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why is no one asking? hopper reboots every 4 mins 59 seconds

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   logisnews

logisnews

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

My DVR reboots every 4 mins, 59 seconds.  It's hard to time exactly but I'm within 2 seconds... it's done this 14 times now. I've seen lots of posts about "my DVR reboots every 5 minutes'.

Yeah, but why is nobody asking WHY it's so exact?  I talked to a couple dish support people and they exhibited zero curiosity about this... they're just going to send me another DVR.  Of course I'll lose my programming (again) as I can't hook an external drive up to it and transfer... well actually I can hook an external drive up but at exactly 5 minutes it reboots.

I theorized that such a precise reboot might be a result of:

* Some sort of buffering issue -- content comes in and buffers and then something happens...  I thought maybe it was because I recording 2 programs at once.  So I stopped recording anything and it still happens.

* An overheating issue.  I thought that maybe when it reboots, it shuts down... cools down, starts up, heats up then overheats and shuts down again.  So I put my laptop cooling pad underneath and it didn't may one seconds worth of difference... 4 mins 59 seconds.  I figured it was a temperature issue, cooling it by a few degrees  would make a little difference.

* getting some sort of signal from dish causes it to reboot....

But why in the heck would be be so exact?

Anyway, I've tried the following steps:

(1) Plugged directly into the way, no power strip
(2) Unplugged and left off for an hour (again after that, 4 mins 59 seconds)

(3) Unplugged the HDMI cable from the TV... still reboots 4 mins 59 seconds whether it's connected to anything or not.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jim

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

Sounds like you just have a defective Hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

Well have you tire plugging it into power with the sat feed in the back unplugged as well as any network cables?

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,535 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:52 AM

Moving to the Hopper forum...

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#5 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

Try disabling HDMI CEC and let us know if that makes a difference. Also, try connecting the HDMI cable to HDMI 2 on the TV instead of HDMI1 input.

#6 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

My first guess would be a watchdog timer running amok.

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

My DVR reboots every 4 mins, 59 seconds.  It's hard to time exactly but I'm within 2 seconds... it's done this 14 times now. I've seen lots of posts about "my DVR reboots every 5 minutes'.

Jim

Care to post a link to these lots of posts?

#8 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

Contact a DIRT member http://www.dbstalk.c...ct-information/ for assistance.

#9 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:37 PM

logisnews,

I understand it can be frustrating when the Hopper reboots and I am happy to help you today! There can be a few things happening, you may have a bad Hopper and it will need to be replaced. There can be an issue with the connections inside and outside of the home.

To better help you with this, please PM me with the phone number on the account to better assist you.

Thanks

spam firewall