My DVR reboots every 4 mins, 59 seconds. It's hard to time exactly but I'm within 2 seconds... it's done this 14 times now. I've seen lots of posts about "my DVR reboots every 5 minutes'.
Yeah, but why is nobody asking WHY it's so exact? I talked to a couple dish support people and they exhibited zero curiosity about this... they're just going to send me another DVR. Of course I'll lose my programming (again) as I can't hook an external drive up to it and transfer... well actually I can hook an external drive up but at exactly 5 minutes it reboots.
I theorized that such a precise reboot might be a result of:
* Some sort of buffering issue -- content comes in and buffers and then something happens... I thought maybe it was because I recording 2 programs at once. So I stopped recording anything and it still happens.
* An overheating issue. I thought that maybe when it reboots, it shuts down... cools down, starts up, heats up then overheats and shuts down again. So I put my laptop cooling pad underneath and it didn't may one seconds worth of difference... 4 mins 59 seconds. I figured it was a temperature issue, cooling it by a few degrees would make a little difference.
* getting some sort of signal from dish causes it to reboot....
But why in the heck would be be so exact?
Anyway, I've tried the following steps:
(1) Plugged directly into the way, no power strip
(2) Unplugged and left off for an hour (again after that, 4 mins 59 seconds)
(3) Unplugged the HDMI cable from the TV... still reboots 4 mins 59 seconds whether it's connected to anything or not.