Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many SD receivers are still active on E*?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

I wonder how many SD STB's are still active on E*?  Once they are all converted to an HD STB the duplicate SD channels can go away, freeing up bandwidth for more HD programming. 

The reason I ask is there are several channels in SD only (besides the Disney Channels) that appear to be letter-boxed 16 x 9.  If the last hold-outs were converted to HD there would be no reason not to carry every available channel in HD 24/7.

I've had an HD DVR since 2004 yet did not have an HDTV until last year, so it is possible to hook an HD STB to an SDTV. 

Is there a deadline set for "SD sunset" on E*?  If not thee should be!

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,997 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

I don't know about specifically for Dish or DirecTV, but there was a report last October that 75% of households have an HD TV. That still leaves a good portion that doesn't.

And the percentage of programming that was actually viewed in HD was less than that. Though I wonder how many are because of cable providers separating the SD and HD channels.

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

Dont forget that even if they have an HDTV, doesnt mean they are getting HD service from their provider...I think the figure was more like less than 50% of the households actually have HD service....HD hasnt quite hit the majority yet...

Edited by CCarncross, 09 December 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,997 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

Exactly. And I know there was confusion in the whole digital transition, some thought that meant they were now getting HD OTA.

Plus, even for households with actual HD, replacing all the SD boxes with HD is expensive. DirecTV has done that in a few markets that have SD locals on MPEG4, but I believe that's mainly been smaller markets. I don't know if Dish has done the same kind of thing, but there are a lot of SD boxes out there.

#5 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

There are many people that have older SD TVs and yet they have the newer HD receivers from  Dish. Some have upgraded as they want the channels Dish offers only in HD. They can down convert to 480i and still get the channels. I do know one lady that still have her old SD receiver.

#6 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

DISH has MILLIONS of SD receivers still in use. Not every HD customer has only HD receivers Last month I had 1 HD and 2 SD receivers on my account feeding 8 TV sets. I just added a 40" HD so I will need to upgrade in the future.

If DISH has 14 million subscribers and 25% are SD that is 3.5 million still on SD. Don't hold your breath for an all HD service.

Edited by RBA, 09 December 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

I think the TS is asking how many SD receivers there are still active on the "Eastern Arc," thus the meaning of the "E*" in the original post.

Never had DISH here, but its my understanding that there are actually no active SD (only) receivers using the EA. The only SD only receivers are older MPEG-2 types and since all the feeds on the EA are MPEG-4, they require MPEG-4 (and thus HD/SD) capable receivers to use them.

So the question probably should have been stated as "how many MPEG-4 SD feeds are there still on the EA?

And to that as a lifetime DIRECTV sub. :) , I really don't know.

Perhaps some other knowledgeable DISH sub. can chime in with the info.? 

Edited by HoTat2, 09 December 2013 - 01:40 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#8 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

Eastern Arc is MPEG4 only which requires a HD receiver.

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

Yes, but now how many of the channels are there on the EA which are only in MPEG-4 SD is what I think the TS is referring to. 

#10 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,289 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

I think the TS is asking how many SD receivers there are still active on the "Eastern Arc," thus the meaning of the "E*" in the original post.

Perhaps some other knowledgeable DISH sub. can chime in with the info.? .

I believe the OP meant the anachronism "E" for Echostar".

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#11 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

I believe the OP meant the anachronism "E" for Echostar".

Oh, OK;

Well if that's the case, I guess the question then should be, "about how many SD MPEG-2 only receivers would you estimate are still active on the WA?"

Since that is the only arc those older types of receivers can still be on ...  :)

Edited by HoTat2, 09 December 2013 - 05:32 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,752 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

There are probably LOTS of SD Dish receivers out there. I'm currently one of them.

Even for households that have HDTV - it is NOT necesarily true that EVERY TV in the house is HDTV - Again - I have ONE HDTV, and 3 SD TVs (one currently not in use)

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#13 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

About two years or so ago Charlie had said they had more SD receivers than HD in use. As some have said, even with an HD TV millions still get SD, including almost every elderly couple I know who are friends with my Grandparents. Then in very many homes there is still at least one SD TV so they don't get an HD receiver for it.

#14 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

E*  = Echostar/Dish Network  D* = DirecTV  P* = Primestar  (I'm showing my age :grin: ).  That was DBS forum shorthand from way-back.  I've been a poster longer than I've been a E* customer, and I've been a customer since Feb. '97.  I guess the newer posters have not seen the old forum shorthand.

EA is all MPEG4, but that does not matter.  I just wish that with today's whole house solutions that the old SD boxes would go away.  At some point it will be more cost effective to upgrade the holdouts to reclaim the bandwidth (and duplicate infrastructure).  I watch several SD only channels that look bad on my new HDTV. The only hope for these channels (some are "PI" channels) going HD is to get rid of the duplicate SD channels. 

Edited by Michael P, 09 December 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

About two years or so ago Charlie had said they had more SD receivers than HD in use. As some have said, even with an HD TV millions still get SD, including almost every elderly couple I know who are friends with my Grandparents. Then in very many homes there is still at least one SD TV so they don't get an HD receiver for it.

I can see an HDTV screen in the house behind me, but he still has only a Dish 500 on his roof.

#16 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,289 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

In the defense of old people, I just turned 75 and for the record, first got HD 10 years ago on one HD RPTV in 2003, and HD on all four of my new flat-panel displays when I moved into my new home in 2008. No more vacuum tubes for me. So long, see ya!

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#17 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

I have a dish accnt with a sd510dvr and a sd322 recvr. I think my sis still has her 1 recvr, a 522. She's got hd nothing. My friend with directv an he has 4sd boxes, 1s a TiVo an the others are the old school RCAs that will soon b phased out (he still hasn't upgraded them), and 1 HD box which he shares in two locations.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#18 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

Can you even buy a SDTV now? I think even the small TVs I have seen in the stores are all flat LCD and I think even those will give you at least 720p. I know my  LCD19" widesceen computer monitor is 720p.

#19 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:21 AM

Not if your a customer in Eastern Arc territory that Has a dish 500 setup. (110 119)

I'm sure there are still quite a few of them out there.

#20 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

Not if your a customer in Eastern Arc territory that Has a dish 500 setup. (110 119)

I'm sure there are still quite a few of them out there.

110 and 119 are on the western arc not eastern arc. I used to have 110,119 before the trees grew too tall. Now I have EA which is 61.5,72.7 and 77.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...