Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many SD receivers are still active on E*?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

Can you even buy a SDTV now? I think even the small TVs I have seen in the stores are all flat LCD and I think even those will give you at least 720p. I know my  LCD19" widesceen computer monitor is 720p.

It took me awhile to find them but you can get 13" TV's aimed at kids such as the "Barbie Bloom Tube" (CRT) or "Disney Cars" (LCD) that only do 480i. They do have ATSC tuners though. I doubt the folks with SD TVs in the family rooms are likely to replace them with these though. :)

Edited by Orion9, 10 December 2013 - 11:05 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

110 and 119 are on the western arc not eastern arc. I used to have 110,119 before the trees grew too tall. Now I have EA which is 61.5,72.7 and 77.

What do you think people used before 1000.4 dish? You honestly think dish converted all these customers over. If so then tell me why I still see Dish 500s in Pa?

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#23 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

Not if your a customer in Eastern Arc territory that Has a dish 500 setup. (110 119)

I'm sure there are still quite a few of them out there.

I think you may have misread thomasjk's post.

He did not say that those who reside in EA "territory" are MPEG-4 only and need an HD receiver.

But those who are "on the EA," i.e. wherever they are located, require one.  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#24 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,099 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

There are many people that have older SD TVs and yet they have the newer HD receivers from  Dish. Some have upgraded as they want the channels Dish offers only in HD. They can down convert to 480i and still get the channels. I do know one lady that still have her old SD receiver.

One of my neighbors has Comcast and old SD set and doesn't care. She's 92.

Edited by Paul Secic, 11 December 2013 - 10:54 AM.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#25 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,099 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

Can you even buy a SDTV now? I think even the small TVs I have seen in the stores are all flat LCD and I think even those will give you at least 720p. I know my  LCD19" widesceen computer monitor is 720p.

Maybe from a Pawn shop.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#26 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

I think you may have misread thomasjk's post.

He did not say that those who reside in EA "territory" are MPEG-4 only and need an HD receiver.

But those who are "on the EA," i.e. wherever they are located, require one.  

Exactly.

#27 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

I don't know about specifically for Dish or DirecTV, but there was a report last October that 75% of households have an HD TV. That still leaves a good portion that doesn't.

And the percentage of programming that was actually viewed in HD was less than that. Though I wonder how many are because of cable providers separating the SD and HD channels.

Personally I'd make the argument that how many people have Hi Definition sets is irrelivent. Hi Definition boxes can down convert. The real culprit is the amount of people who have the services that still have any sd boxes, and there's plenty of people with Hi Definition service that still have some sd boxes too. Last I saw over half of DIRECTV subs, and probably the same for dish, still have at least one active sd box. That makes it even a bigger percentage of people that would need to have some equipment replaced... And until it'd cost less to replace all those boxes than it would to launch a new sat and they need more capacity, I don't see them feeling under the gun to replace the boxes, which could be a decade...

Or after reading further down the thread.. What most everyone else said... ;)

And I don't think reclaiming the bandwidth would really add any Hi Definition channels at this point from either service, nothing of significance at least overall.

#28 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

And I don't think reclaiming the bandwidth would really add any Hi Definition channels at this point from either service, nothing of significance at least overall.

What I mean is I'd like to see some of the channels that today are SD only in HD.  I realize many are broadcast in SD only, I'm not talking about those.  I'm talking about other channels that on E* are SD only that appear to have content produced in HD (since they are in 16x9 letterbox).  Zooming in those channels sometimes looks worse than watching a 16x9 picture with a box all around  :barf:

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#29 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

What I mean is I'd like to see some of the channels that today are SD only in HD.  I realize many are broadcast in SD only, I'm not talking about those.  I'm talking about other channels that on E* are SD only that appear to have content produced in HD (since they are in 16x9 letterbox).  Zooming in those channels sometimes looks worse than watching a 16x9 picture with a box all around  :barf:

Maybe in 10 years you'll get your wish.

#30 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

There are folks out there that have 'split-arc's, meaning a dish500 aimed to the west, and either a dish 300 or another dish500 aimed at EA to get 61.5.  For a while, this was the only way ppl could get ALL their locals.  Some of the dish500's u may still see in PA, or anywhere else for that matter, may be former custormers who've gone back to comcrap, or whoever.  I see a lot of abandonded dishes around, some have the LNB's removed, some dont.

As for deleting SD channels to make room for an HD channel.......i want to say the ratio is 4 to 1?!?   Meaning it would take the deletion of 4 SD channels to make room for ONE HD channel.  SOmeone correct me if I'm wrong.  Bottom line, I dont think you'll free up that much bandwidth.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#31 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,528 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

I wouldn't even have a guess... but I suspect there are still a LOT more SD receivers out there than anyone in these forums would like to know... and those are paying customers to Dish so Dish isn't going to dump them.

We are a ways away from Dish being willing to lose those customers OR fork over the cost to force-upgrade them.

Meanwhile... even though eastern arc is all MPEG4, thus requiring HD-capable receivers (since those are the only ones that do MPEG4)...  they can't do too much with eastern arc that they can't mirror on western arc so you can't expect new channel bandwidth on one arc without corresponding on the other.

Dish has, however, been taking down SD LiLs on eastern arc whenever they add HD LiLs...  but they haven't been doing that for SAT channels.  They could, but it doesn't gain them anything useful yet until they can do something similar on western arc... and they can't do that until a LOT more customers give up their SD receivers... which has been a slow evolution.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#32 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

Yes, I know what you meant, my point is there aren't really that many left for most the major carriers.  Only a few more niche channels here and there.

#33 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law had a 522 for years even after spending lots of good money on a Panasonic plasma HDTV last Christmas.

Two months ago I sat down and explained to them that all those stretched fuzzy SD pictures were easily available in stunning HD just by getting a 722k (I already had an old OTA tuner module from my Hopper upgrade) from Dish.

They got the upgrade for only a 2 year commitment - no cash - and now enjoy all those SD shows in HD, they had no idea what they were missing.

Their monthly bill is still the same as it was but they no can enjoy their 1080p plasma TV as it was intended to be seen.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#34 OFFLINE   flatus

flatus

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

I have 4 hd sets and no HD service.   I will not get HD until they drop the requirement for autopay.   I work for a paper mill   -- I want a paper bill mailed to me in a paper envelope.    Forcing me to go paperless is like asking me to slit my throat.

#35 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

Well you don't need to go paperless to get Hi Definition with DIRECTV. I am amazed you have to do that with dish. In fact it seems absurd to me. Why would they require that?

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:16 PM

You only need to go paperless if you do not want to PAY for HD.

DISH's Free HD offer requires a two year commitment and paperless billing.
If one wants to pay $10 per month for HD they still can.
(The option to pay $99 once for "Free HD for life" is no longer available.)

At last check DirecTV customers were paying for HD, except for those fortunate enough to sign up when DirecTV was offering Free HD to new customers. It is a "technology charge" but still a charge for HD.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#37 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

Ah, well that makes sense, but I guess that means the $10 a month isnt worth it to him either for his hdtv's....

Yeah, if you are not a new customer though, usually if you call they will give you 10 off a month pretty easily, especially if you have auto pay as well, since that's one they offered for a while as well.  SO at Directv you can play a game to get it...  Surprised if you cant do that a bit at Dish sometimes too...

#38 OFFLINE   flatus

flatus

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

i'm ignorant

#39 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:00 AM

Note there are thousands of hotels and apartment buildings that use SD DISH (and DirecTV) receivers for their head ends, either individually or via "smartbox" or other such systems.

genius-solution.jpg

http://commercial.di...rop#complicated

#40 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:43 AM

I know of at least 2 neighbors that have SD receivers.

spam firewall