Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Yahoo mail down

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,988 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:05 AM

Anyone else having trouble accessing their Yahoo mail account?

I can tell by the posts online I am not the only one who has been down for 2 days now.

Just kind of strange that this is not bigger news online or in the media.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:17 AM

No issues here...

Yahoo has acknowledged the issue though on there companies Facebook & Twitter pages: https://www.facebook...151748384986930 & https://twitter.com/...505606198329344

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#3 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 6,988 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:56 AM

That is what I am reading. Some people can access their accounts and others can't using the same computers.

Now they have changed the message to this;

Scheduled Maintenance

We are undertaking some essential, but extensive maintenance to improve Yahoo! Mail. During the maintenance period, some users may experience problems accessing Yahoo! Mail.

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. Your account is in great shape and we are working to have it available again as quickly as possible.

Yahoo! Mail Team

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:05 AM

That is what I am reading. Some people can access their accounts and others can't using the same computers.

Now they have changed the message to this;

Scheduled Maintenance

We are undertaking some essential, but extensive maintenance to improve Yahoo! Mail. During the maintenance period, some users may experience problems accessing Yahoo! Mail.

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. Your account is in great shape and we are working to have it available again as quickly as possible.

Yahoo! Mail Team

That's the message I've been getting for the past two days. Yahoo needs to get it's act together.  :down:  

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

I Agree they need to provide the service You are paying all that money for. :)

And issue a refund for the time it is unavailable.

Edited by TBoneit, 11 December 2013 - 09:16 AM.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

I use the FREE version and it is and has been up all the time.

I wonder if it is only the paid version that is having a problem ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

You're sure right about that. The folks that pay money for Yahoo Mail (I have two such people in my life) are asking for refunds or credits.

Going by what Yahoo has done in similar situations in the past, they'll get a credit.

#8 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

I've been using the free version and as I reported in post #4 it's been down for two days! In addition to that those who use Internet Explorer 11 can no longer use Adobe Flash Player and the Quote feature here on DBSTalk. Murphy's Law seems to be the order of the day.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

From the warnings in another thread here I have blocked my machines from upgrading to IE11.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#10 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

I use Google mail (via Google Apps) instead of email. As far as the outside world is concerned, I have my own domain name (several, in fact). So, if my email provider was down for more than several hours, I would be switching the MX settings and using another mail service. Unfortunately, nobody emails me anymore, so mail isn't critical.

That's what bothers me with a lot of small businesses. You see their business cards with @yahoo.com, @gmail.com, and @hotmail.com e-mail addresses. This has me questioning if they are serious businesses. Spend the $10-$15 to register a domain name to show me you are serious about your business.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#11 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 6,988 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

Yea, free version here and I am using FF. But it is the same from any computer and browser.

#12 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 6,988 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

Since Yahoo is being so tight lipped about the whole thing, it is only the responsible thing to jump right to the conclusion that they have been the victim of a cyber attack and all of our personal information has been stolen.

#13 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

Since Yahoo is being so tight lipped about the whole thing, it is only the responsible thing to jump right to the conclusion that they have been the victim of a cyber attack and all of our personal information has been stolen.

Always the Eternal Optimist aren't You.

#14 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,772 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

Downloading via POP3 (into Outlook2010) is having issues (using Paid Yahoo mail). I CAN access using FF web mail..

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,482 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:33 AM

There are two possible problems with your Yahoo Mail depending. There is this issue:

Date 12/11/13

System Status Message

01:49 PM PST: An important update for our email users

Some of our users have not been able to access their mail since 10:27 PM PST on Monday night, due to a hardware problem in one of our mail data centers. The issue has been harder to fix than we originally expected.

We have dozens of people working around the clock to bring it to a resolution. We’ll post updates on our @YahooMail Twitter handle.

Please check our help page for the latest information.

Obviously if this is your problem, there's nothing you can do. I have had no problem with my "free" email. However....

Yesterday using Thunderbird (I won't allow Outlook on my computers) I couldn't send email and just before 10 am PST this morning,I quit receiving email until I complied with the following:

Date 12/09/13

System Status Message

11:15 AM PST: Important changes to your business email settings

To greater enhance the security of your email, Yahoo Business Mail settings are changing to support secure (SSL) connections only when you send and receive email from a mobile device or desktop email client. This change affects IMAP, POP, and SMTP settings. If you do not have SSL enabled, you may see a network failure or enter network password message when sending and receiving email beginning December 4, 2013 for IMAP, and beginning December 10, 2013 for POP and SMTP.

Please verify your current mail server settings and update them if needed, as follows:

IMAP settings:
Incoming Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port 993 with SSL enabled
Get help with IMAP settings.

POP settings:
Incoming server: pop.bizmail.yahoo.com
Port 995 with SSL enabled
Get help with POP settings.

SMTP settings:
Outgoing server: smtp.bizmail.yahoo.com
Port 465 or 587 with SSL enabled
Get help with SMTP settings.

We thank you for your attention to this change. For help with setting up Business Mail on specific devices or email clients please visit our Yahoo Business Mail help section or contact us.

Perhaps this will be of some help to some here.

Edited by phrelin, 12 December 2013 - 01:37 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#16 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 6,988 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:18 AM

Thanks phrelin,

Mine is back up now.

In all of the unread 100+ emails, not one from Yahoo explaining the interruption.

I just love this from your clip.
"We’ll post updates on our @YahooMail Twitter handle."

I am so sick of the assumptions companies make that the entire world uses Facebook and twitter.

#17 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

Uh, isn't this the type of change that should be communicated to the customer around 30 days prior to the change, with a transition period? 

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#18 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,772 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:16 AM

Thanks PHrelin - I'm back up after setting Outlook to use Encryption.

#19 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,772 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:29 AM

Uh, isn't this the type of change that should be communicated to the customer around 30 days prior to the change, with a transition period? 

I'd settle for a couple days notice.

#20 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

Thanks phrelin,

Mine is back up now.

In all of the unread 100+ emails, not one from Yahoo explaining the interruption.

I just love this from your clip.
"We’ll post updates on our @YahooMail Twitter handle."

I am so sick of the assumptions companies make that the entire world uses Facebook and twitter.

What's a Facebook / Twitter, Oh wait those are things I do not use!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...