Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Multiple Genie's allowed?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

What's so hard about marrying a couple or for that matter 3 or four switches together?  this is not any difference that marrying multiple 6x8 or 6x16s together when there was no SWM and DVRs used 2 cables.

How hard is it to get a SWM system connected to the Internet, when the router is in the same room as the splitter and a DVR?

It's also possible I've had several below average techs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,731 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

For someone that likes to record more than 2 tuners, 2 Genie's would be nice as long as there both 44's, and since I have a SWM 16 I would definitely switch out the HR24 for another HR44 (I already have 1 HR44 ) no way I'll get the minis, That would leave me with 12 tuners (HR44,HR44,H24,D12) and still have room for 2 more DVR's. Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#23 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,347 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:41 AM

What's so hard about marrying a couple or for that matter 3 or four switches together? this is not any difference that marrying multiple 6x8 or 6x16s together when there was no SWM and DVRs used 2 cables.

The bigger complication is how you network all those together and at what point does Whole Home Service break down. Diplexing the deca via the way vos has drawn up is brilliant but probably would be lost on plenty as to what's really happening. That makes it harder to trouble shoot. Just mho.

#24 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,347 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:44 AM

Correct, however having these many Genies adds much more to support these receivers in hardware cost and yields the same monthly fees in return as it they had Genie minis

Yeah but two genies would support six clients instead if three. So what's the cost difference in running one genie plus a DVR plus a second dvr plus a h25 plus three clients vs. two genies and six clients?

#25 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:57 AM

The way I understand it, the reason they don't allow two Genies is that the clients mis-behave when there are two possible servers to which they can connect. Since a client has to registered with the server, if they attempt to attach to "other" server, the connection is rejected.

While Harsh may be correct that they could have solved this problem by now, there are other more important client/Genie issues to be addressed. Since a very small number of their customers want more than one Genie, it just isn't a high priority. It is far easier, and basically without any penalty, to say that only one Genie may be active on an account.

Directv should still aloud a second Genie on an account if one doesn't have clients. Because I'm sure 2 GENIES would work just fine with HR's and H25s.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#26 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:14 AM

Directv should still aloud a second Genie on an account if one doesn't have clients. Because I'm sure 2 GENIES would work just fine with HR's and H25s. Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

Too difficult to "police". Customer gets a second genie, then gets a client (or an RVU TV). System then runs into issues. Better for them to fix the issues before they allow two genies.

• lugnutathome likes this

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:40 AM

How hard is it to get a SWM system connected to the Internet, when the router is in the same room as the splitter and a DVR?

It's also possible I've had several below average techs.

There are thousands of installations and upgrades happening everyday, most of them happen without any hiccups

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:55 AM

I have 6 tuners now, and with 3 adults and child, we run into conflicts all the time. I don't need clients in my setup, and I truly don't need 12 tuners, but having PIP in two locations would be sweet. They'll have to swap me out to a SWM 16 as I keeping my other two DVR's and my H25. I'll sit tight with my other HR-23 and see what happens next year with allowing two Genie's. Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

#29 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,483 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:58 AM

Yeah but two genies would support six clients instead if three. So what's the cost difference in running one genie plus a DVR plus a second dvr plus a h25 plus three clients vs. two genies and six clients?

As someone said earlier here, once they allow 2, folks would want 3 or 4 or more.  so figure a "regular" 4 TV set up "now" and "then" I'll use DirecTV's regular receiver lease prices as comparison 

1 Genie $300

3 minis $100 x 3 $300

1 SWM LNB $39.00 (according to SolidSignal)

Total $639 on hardware cost for a total of $18 in receiver fees

4 Genies $300 x4 $1200

2 SWM16 @ $105 each $210 (according to SolidSignal)

Total $1410 on hardware cost for a total of $18 in receiver fees. 

Now if customers were willing to pay regular lease prices for hardware, instead of calling and threatening  canceling to get free equipment, perhaps DirecTV would be singing another tune 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#30 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,483 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:00 AM

The bigger complication is how you network all those together and at what point does Whole Home Service break down. Diplexing the deca via the way vos has drawn up is brilliant but probably would be lost on plenty as to what's really happening. That makes it harder to trouble shoot. Just mho.

Since techs do not have access to this fancy equipment, we do it the old fashion way, a DECA per switch

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#31 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,483 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:02 AM

Here is an example... 

Directv should still aloud a second Genie on an account if one doesn't have clients. Because I'm sure 2 GENIES would work just fine with HR's and H25s. Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#32 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:12 AM

There are thousands of installations and upgrades happening everyday, most of them happen without any hiccups

Multiband here must just be substandard, or I just happened to have gotten the 5-6 worst techs they have over the years. But I honestly thought that a dual SWM16 setup would be fairly unusual.

#33 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for confirming what I didn't want to be true. It'll be spring before I'd want to add a second, as that's when it'll be close to cleaned off, and that's when I'm replacing that TV. Maybe things will be different then. Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

Still hoping they sort this by June - time for my next freebie. Saturday morning for a "proper football" fan I can use 10 tuners between UK, Euro leagues.

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,483 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

Now if customers were willing to pay regular lease prices for hardware, instead of calling and threatening  canceling to get free equipment, perhaps DirecTV would be singing another tune 

Here one more... ↴

Still hoping they sort this by June - time for my next freebie. Saturday morning for a "proper football" fan I can use 10 tuners between UK, Euro leagues.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

Not so much the tuners, it is the limit for the number series one can record that gives me hassles.

We have about 150 channels x 7 days x 3 prime shows per channel per day = 3150 possible series. And DirecTV limit us to 50 and a 100.

I record about 110 on my HR22...using ARSL with boolean searches....You can probably get close to 300 on an HR34/44....its quite easy to get 3 shows per link using ARSL booleans....

Edited by CCarncross, 12 December 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#36 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

As someone said earlier here, once they allow 2, folks would want 3 or 4 or more.

I'm more than happy to pay for my second Genie, so D* would get their up front asking price from me for my second one, and maybe that should be their rule.

First one can be "free", but each additional Genie will ding you for $299, or whatever they cost.

I'd switch out my H25 to a client to get DVR function in my daughter's room if it all worked right, and we'd live happily ever after.

I don't call and beat on D* to lower my bill, and I don't really get people that do. If my package or hardware were more than I could afford, I'd lower my package.

I'll take the "free" Genie next week because I didn't ask for it, D* offered it to me. My next one? Here's my credit card number.

#37 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,626 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

Hmmmm. I don't see the CC number. PM me with it and the security code, and I'll see what I can do for ya'....!

:hurah:

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#38 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:01 AM

Hmmmm. I don't see the CC number. PM me with it and the security code, and I'll see what I can do for ya'....!

:hurah:

Go wait next to your inbox, it'll be there soon. I promise.

#39 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,973 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

What's an "average" tech?

One that isn't qualified/licensed to dabble in the dark art of current loop data?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#40 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

One that isn't qualified/licensed to dabble in the dark art of current loop data?

Is this how your dish network experience has been?

A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...