Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Multiple Genie's allowed?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

As someone said earlier here, once they allow 2, folks would want 3 or 4 or more. so figure a "regular" 4 TV set up "now" and "then" I'll use DirecTV's regular receiver lease prices as comparison

1 Genie $300
3 minis $100 x 3 $300
1 SWM LNB $39.00 (according to SolidSignal)
Total $639 on hardware cost for a total of $18 in receiver fees

4 Genies $300 x4 $1200
2 SWM16 @ $105 each $210 (according to SolidSignal)
Total $1410 on hardware cost for a total of $18 in receiver fees.

Now if customers were willing to pay regular lease prices for hardware, instead of calling and threatening canceling to get free equipment, perhaps DirecTV would be singing another tune

If they allow more than two genies I have always figured you won't get a third one for free no matter what' the second one might be might not be. But not just the genie after the second one, but cost of materials for swims etc too...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationShavertown PA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

I don't call and beat on D* to lower my bill, and I don't really get people that do. If my package or hardware were more than I could afford, I'd lower my package.

I for one (and I think many here) do not call and "beat" on D* to lower my bill.  I call when my current credits expire and politely ask if there are any credits available to replace them.  If so, great, if not it is not an issue.  Most of the times there are credits available you just have to ask if your account has them.  Doesn't hurt to ask IMHO.

Edited by Wyannuzzi, 12 December 2013 - 02:43 PM.

HR34-700
HR24-100
H25-100
H25-100
H25-100
HR24-100

#43 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,746 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

I've been lurking here awhile as this is a subject close to my heart and I suspect there will be a point where market pressure will dictate a second (or more Genies) per a single residential account will become a normal thing. I would second the opinion that additional ones should not be free but then I have "purchased" nearly all of my DVRs in order to ensure I got the model number I wanted and not some twice cooked HR21 that needs oxygen just to get through the day:)

My speculation on the matter is until they have reached a particular saturation/stockpile trigger point they are considering the "new" goodies should be spread around and not hoarded by us obsessive compulsive types.

Other speculations of mine see the Genie and 3 clients as a result of a marketing spreadsheet exercise (probably if you take all the receivers in residential accounts using DVRs and divide by the number of accounts you would get some 2.6 or some fractional value > 2 and <= 3). Given they had to cook up this new technical landscape targeted to the spreadsheet AND were highly deadline driven, it is considerably likely that the firmware (and mother ship billing software) were focused on this theoretical "Whole Home" deployment scaling. Building in to allow an account running multiple Genie's each possibly running multiple clients was not built into the products DNA for the initial release.

Meanwhile marketing moves forward with other new shiny things (read wireless clients, sports searches, HD Apps, etc) and these advancements stall going back and altering the base operational functionality to encapsulate more than one Genie. (and with some marketing model as a target basis, there is likely no real motivation to review that limitation at this time). Eventually pressure from the subscriber base may motivate that change but it would seem new shiny things and functionality seem to be the priority at present.

I personally want to architect my infrastructure to handle more than 2 Genies with some clients while still retaining several traditional 2 tuner DVRs in some locations, and perhaps several normal single tuner HD receivers for the guest rooms. I look forward to that becoming a reality someday but in the meantime. . .

Don "please note these are my speculations and may or may not have any basis in reality whatsoever (sort of like me ;) )" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#44 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,417 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

I'm more than happy to pay for my second Genie, so D* would get their up front asking price from me for my second one, and maybe that should be their rule. First one can be "free", but each additional Genie will ding you for $299, or whatever they cost. I'd switch out my H25 to a client to get DVR function in my daughter's room if it all worked right, and we'd live happily ever after. I don't call and beat on D* to lower my bill, and I don't really get people that do. If my package or hardware were more than I could afford, I'd lower my package. I'll take the "free" Genie next week because I didn't ask for it, D* offered it to me. My next one? Here's my credit card number.

But as you can see here on this thread, there are folks waiting for DirecTV to allow 2 or more Genies so they can call and get their "freebie"

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#45 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,417 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

If they allow more than two genies I have always figured you won't get a third one for free no matter what' the second one might be might not be. But not just the genie after the second one, but cost of materials for swims etc too...

that is the problem, once they open the door, there is no way to close it, so to to speak 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#46 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

I record about 110 on my HR22...using ARSL with boolean searches....You can probably get close to 300 on an HR34/44....its quite easy to get 3 shows per link using ARSL booleans....

Yes, I could do a lot of work to in order to record shows I want watch later, but why should I when it is the company I am paying over a $100 a month to that is limiting me to less than 2% of the series I can record.

Edited by Drucifer, 12 December 2013 - 03:42 PM.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#47 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

But as you can see here on this thread, there are folks waiting for DirecTV to allow 2 or more Genies so they can call and get their "freebie"

If they don't want to do it they could make a policy that additional Genies are $299 and not make exceptions for anyone. If people wanted it bad enough they'd pay, if they're just looking for "free stuff" they'd be out of luck.

It isn't clear that the demand for it is high enough to justify the investment in making multiple Genies work well together. If they wanted to be able to support more clients they could accomplish that with an 8 tuner Genie. Immediately following that announcement I'm sure people on dbstalk would begin scheming for ways to get their HR44 replaced by it. :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#48 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,746 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

:) It may not have to be a real high demand to turn the tide though. With cord cutting and competition from other providers it may become a requirement just from the competitive marketing perspective. Also DirectTV is always striving to separate itself as a technology leader and is positioning its offerings to the more upscale subscriber segment. This would naturally entail larger domiciles which would require more receivers.

As it sits right now, accounts such as mine which have more than 10 receivers and a monthly bill north of two bills just for the services themselves are being held back by a shortsighted positioning for a "4 unit = a Whole Home" limitation.

Don "again I reiterate, these are my opinions. any resemblance to individuals real or otherwise is purely coincidence. or is it? only my hairdresser know for sure" Bolton

If they don't want to do it they could make a policy that additional Genies are $299 and not make exceptions for anyone. If people wanted it bad enough they'd pay, if they're just looking for "free stuff" they'd be out of luck.

It isn't clear that the demand for it is high enough to justify the investment in making multiple Genies work well together. If they wanted to be able to support more clients they could accomplish that with an 8 tuner Genie. Immediately following that announcement I'm sure people on dbstalk would begin scheming for ways to get their HR44 replaced by it. :)

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#49 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

In case you forgot we pay monthly fees for these And have programming fees as well as 24 month commitments on leased equipment, hardly what I would call free.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#50 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,417 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

but then they have to make exceptions for exceptions and opening "pandora's box"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#51 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,022 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

For me, it wasn't as much about the tuners as it's been about the separation of family members. Each with different series likes, playlist preferences, and storage requirements. Now playing with a few Roamio's. His, hers, and a Mini server to keep client tuner requirements separate.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#52 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

In case you forgot we pay monthly fees for these And have programming fees as well as 24 month commitments on leased equipment, hardly what I would call free. Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

And yet they cost to build too..  Actually,. I think within the not to distant future they wont cost anymore to make than a hr24 did when it was first released, so I don't think cost will be an issue in the not to distant future...  But still, some people will want multiple free ones at the same time..  That isn't going to happen.  But the bigger costs is swim16s if someone wants more than two.  That can really start increasing costs and complicating things.

#53 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,417 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

.  But the bigger costs is swim16s if someone wants more than two.  That can really start increasing costs and complicating things.

exactly, and for the same ROI as if they has Genie minis.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#54 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:21 PM

For me, it wasn't as much about the tuners as it's been about the separation of family members. Each with different series likes, playlist preferences, and storage requirements. Now playing with a few Roamio's. His, hers, and a Mini server to keep client tuner requirements separate.

That's something that should be fixed in software, by having different user profiles, that have their own playlists, season pass lists, etc. rather than everyone having their own Genie.

I can't believe Tivo hasn't caught onto this either, but then they don't even have a way to copy thumb ratings from an old one to a new one, because they're so fixated on updating useless stuff like the Youtube app that they don't see where they could really make a leap over the competition.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#55 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:47 AM

And yet they cost to build too.. Actually,. I think within the not to distant future they wont cost anymore to make than a hr24 did when it was first released, so I don't think cost will be an issue in the not to distant future... But still, some people will want multiple free ones at the same time.. .

The below is not all directed at you Inkahauts, because I agree with your valid posts on equipment complications and your take about certain cost issue.

But to everyone else who complains about poor directv and how customers are taking such advantage of directvs "offers " like a run a way greenhouse effect.
Well all I can say is,
People want multiple free equipment now, and don't get it, so I don't see really want the complaints are.

Out of my entire system in my signature, I've paid almost $300 in upfront cost and shipping fees.
And paid over $3200 in programming in my house alone the last 18 months. Money I'll never see again, and equipment I'll never own.

I don't need people from Internet forum's telling me or anyone else what freebies offers I take or anyone else asks for.

New customers now are only getting a genie and 3 clients for free.

Existing customers might get a bone thrown at them from time to time. Or if they pay an extra $8 per month every 2 years they can upgrade, with the expense of another commitment.

Again never does the customer ever have the upper hand like some make out.
Clearly you want something, your paying for it one way or another.

DIRECTV isn't losing any money over giving it customers equipment "offers" not exactly freebies.

#56 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:11 AM

exactly, and for the same ROI as if they has Genie minis.

But it not costing you anything. If anything it will bring your more work, something millions of Americans would welcome with open arms.

#57 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

I gotta ask, how is it possible that 9 tuners would not be enough for two people? When would you ever need to watch/record more than 9 things at once, and when would you ever have time to watch all those recordings?

I have 14 tuners available and I live alone. It's nice to not miss anything and also great to know I can set a remote recording and not worry about a conflict.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#58 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

Directv should still aloud a second Genie on an account if one doesn't have clients. Because I'm sure 2 GENIES would work just fine with HR's and H25s.

You'd think, but they don't always work with each other much less an H2X or HR2X.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#59 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

I guess I don't understand the comment that a Genie sometimes doesn't work with H2x or HR2x.  Granted I'm only a month into the install of my HR44 but so far I've seen no issues between it and my HR21 or HR23.  Now I may be missing something or I'm lucky or whatever but so far so good.  Not challenging the statement, just trying to understand what might be known issues or problems. 

Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Denon AVR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#60 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

You'd think, but they don't always work with each other much less an H2X or HR2X.

I've had HR34 and HR's side by side working just fine with the whole home system.
Another Genie would be just fine with my setup.
Maybe not with the Crappy clients!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...