Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

H24 Can't connect to the Internet

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mloiterman

mloiterman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

Just replaced a H21 with an H24-200 and I'm having problems with networking the new H24.  Some background - each room in my home is wired with 2 Cat6 cables down to my basement where I have everything tied together with a switch which connects to my router and Comcast modem.  So, I do not use DECA.  I have a HR34 which is plugged into my ethernet network.  So, by all rights DECA and should be disabled on my network although I have a feeling that DECA is the source of my troubles.  

That said, when I test the new H24-200, it reports that it "cannot connect to the internet."  All my network settings are the same as the H21.  When I go into Settings, Network, Advanced on the new H24 and test from there it says that it has both Ethernet and Internet access.

The DirecTV website also reports that the device is "not connected to the internet" even though all my other receivers do show access to the internet including two other H24 units (although they are H24-700 and not H24-200) in my home.

I have tried redoing the Sat setup with the Ethernet connected so it's sure to disable DECA, but that seems to have no impact. 

Can anyone explain what's going on?

Edited by mloiterman, 11 December 2013 - 09:50 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:45 AM

With ethernet  connected to the HR34 it bridges DECA coax networking across your system which means the H24 should not have the ethernet connected. Plugging ethernet into a Genie (HR34/44) does not disable DECA as it does on the Hx2x models. 

You state your not using DECA, do you not want to for some reason? If you want to use ethernet on all the receivers then you will need a BSF connected in line with the HR34 otherwise the other receivers will become confused.

Also, this Solidsignal Guide to Coax Networking might help:

http://manuals.solid...White Paper.pdf

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#3 OFFLINE   mloiterman

mloiterman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

With ethernet  connected to the HR34 it bridges DECA coax networking across your system which means the H24 should not have the ethernet connected. Plugging ethernet into a Genie (HR34/44) does not disable DECA as it does on the Hx2x models. 

You state your not using DECA, do you not want to for some reason? If you want to use ethernet on all the receivers then you will need a BSF connected in line with the HR34 otherwise the other receivers will become confused.

Also, this Solidsignal Guide to Coax Networking might help:

http://manuals.solid...White Paper.pdf

Sigh.  I knew this DECA would cause me problems at some point.  Looks like for whatever reason, this new box is seeing DECA, which I don't want and wasn't an issue with the old box or my two other H24s.  I want to use my Ethernet cables.  

Anyway, I have a SWM 16 and f I want to kill DECA for the whole system, can I install BSF before the SWM1 and SWM2 lines connect to my splitters?

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

Looks like for whatever reason, this new box is seeing DECA, which I don't want and wasn't an issue with the old box or my two other H24s.  I want to use my Ethernet cables. 

Not sure why you don't want to use DECA.

"Normally" I help getting it to work.

With this "misbehaving" H24 you might try resetting the network defaults and then remove the coax, while on the network screen.

With ethernet connected, run the connect now and "it should" pick up the ethernet connection.

A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   mloiterman

mloiterman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Not sure why you don't want to use DECA.

"Normally" I help getting it to work.

With this "misbehaving" H24 you might try resetting the network defaults and then remove the coax, while on the network screen.

With ethernet connected, run the connect now and "it should" pick up the ethernet connection.

I have a very extensive and sophisticated network in my home and it's easier for me to manage if all the devices are connected to that network via standard RJ45 ethernet.  I completely understand why DECA is needed and how it's a benefit to the VAST majority of people.  But, it's a big hassle for me and I don't want to use it.  I don't mind that it's there, I just wish DirecTV would allow more flexibility in the use of the standard Ethernet ports for internet connectivity. 

All this said, I know in the very near term DirecTV will be removing RJ45 ports and ethernet capabilities from all their receivers and, sooner rather than later, I will have to deal with DECA.

#6 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,378 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

All this said, I know in the very near term DirecTV will be removing RJ45 ports and ethernet capabilities from all their receivers and, sooner rather than later, I will have to deal with DECA.

Where do you get this idea? I haven't seen that reported anywhere.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   mloiterman

mloiterman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

Where do you get this idea? I haven't seen that reported anywhere.

I hope it isn't true, but the newest boxes, the H25 and the mini Geni, have no Ethernet port.  I suppose the Genie"server" type devices will have to keep it, but I suspect all the standard HD boxes and even the standard HD-DVRs will lose it soon.  This is just my opinion and based on nothing other than the absence of the port on the H25 and mini Geni.  I hope I'm wrong.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,629 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

I have a very extensive and sophisticated network in my home and it's easier for me to manage if all the devices are connected to that network via standard RJ45 ethernet.  .

There should not be any difference in what you use.  for the router DECA is transparent and it has not idea that you are using it 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   mloiterman

mloiterman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

There should not be any difference in what you use.  for the router DECA is transparent and it has not idea that you are using it 

I just discovered this a few minutes ago.  I unplugged the ethernet cable and my HR34 is now providing network access to the H24.  I can still see the device on my network as before.

I thought DECA created some internal private and proprietary DirecTV network for the receivers.  It appears that all it does is allow IP to travel over the RG6 and then bridge the connection to the rest of my ethernet network through my HR34.  Is that correct?

#10 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,378 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

I hope it isn't true, but the newest boxes, the H25 and the mini Geni, have no Ethernet port.  I suppose the Genie"server" type devices will have to keep it, but I suspect all the standard HD boxes and even the standard HD-DVRs will lose it soon.  This is just my opinion and based on nothing other than the absence of the port on the H25 and mini Geni.  I hope I'm wrong.

I didn't realize the H25 dropped the ethernet port, seems kind of silly but I guess they were trying to cut the cost of it as much as possible. The newest Genie and newest client offer wireless. They may just be dropping wired ethernet for wireless, similar what we see for some smart TVs, laptops, etc.

I guess the logic for products doing that is that if you have wired ethernet available you probably also have wireless available, or can add it. But many people will not have wired ethernet anywhere in their house, nor would they know how to set up a wireless bridge to add a wired ethernet port elsewhere if one was needed.

#11 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,378 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

I just discovered this a few minutes ago.  I unplugged the ethernet cable and my HR34 is now providing network access to the H24.  I can still see the device on my network as before.

I thought DECA created some internal private and proprietary DirecTV network for the receivers.  It appears that all it does is allow IP to travel over the RG6 and then bridge the connection to the rest of my ethernet network through my HR34.  Is that correct?

MRV/WHDVR is actually a standard called RVU, which AFAIK is used only by Directv as far as originating content, but various manufacturers make RVU clients (TVs, mostly) It was originally based on DLNA which is a standard that was used a bit more widely. It uses ordinary TCP/IP.

DECA is the MoCA 1.1 standard called by a different name, using the 'E' band which was designed for satellite (specifically for Directv, really, since Dish doesn't use it, though maybe satellite companies outside the US use it, I have no idea) That makes it incompatible with MoCA hardware you might buy, since those will be using different bands that would conflict with Directv's SWM frequencies.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,629 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

It appears that all it does is allow IP to travel over the RG6 and then bridge the connection to the rest of my ethernet network through my HR34.  Is that correct?

Correct.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

MRV/WHDVR is actually a standard called RVU,

You're mixing up Genie & client [RVU] with MRV

A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,378 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

You're mixing up Genie & client [RVU] with MRV

I keep forgetting they aren't the same thing. Does Directv publish any info on the protocol used for MRV? I assume it is TCP/IP?

#15 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,019 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

I'm sure the MRV (and RVU) packets are encapsulated inside ethernet packets which are in trun encapsulated in the the MoCA 1.1 packets for transfer across the coax network.

But the higher level protocols actually describing MRV and RVU which packets are embedded into ethernet ones are corporate confidential of course.  

Edited by HoTat2, 12 December 2013 - 06:35 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

Protected By... spam firewall...And...