Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A&E Rebranding BIO Channel Into Lifestyles-Based Network

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

http://www.multichan...-network/147151

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,475 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

Just another reason I'm closer to cutting the cord. What will this be, the 15th lifestyle channel on cable now?

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,314 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

Just another reason I'm closer to cutting the cord. What will this be, the 15th lifestyle channel on cable now?

I'm starting to wonder myself. We've just experienced a snow-turned-to-ice week and I couldn't safely get to my dish to clear it for a couple of days. Watched everything streaming via the internet directly from the network websites - even Leno's "Headlines" from Monday. This from that story makes me wonder:

With the launch of lifestyles-based FYI, A+E will look to draw younger viewers into its network portfolio – which includes older-skewing, female-targeted network Lifetime, male-targeted service History and general entertainment-based A&E. It also hopes to increase its overall audience for BIO: the network is on track to average 260,000 primetime viewers, an increase of 4% over 2012 but far short of the more than 1 million viewers drawn by its sister networks Lifetime, History and A&E.

"The transition to FYI is the next phase in our strategy to bolster the A+E Networks portfolio by evolving and maturing our brands to allow for future growth in the rapidly changing media landscape," said Nancy Dubuc, president & CEO of A+E Networks in a statement. "FYI will be an upscale network with a younger and more modern sensibility than what we've seen on traditional lifestyle networks, in an effort to appeal to an audience that has been underserved on linear but thrives online."

I find it hard to believe there's much of a "younger and more modern sensibility" needing "linear" service. The "older and less modern sensibility" that now simply finds "linear" more convenient is soon going to want to quit spending their limited fixed income on cable/satellite. In case no one has noticed, the majority of "live plus same day viewers" became age 50+ viewers sometime back. Last year AARP had an article Who Needs Cable? 6 cheaper ways to watch great television shows which was far from complete and not well researched but may have been just the push some people needed.

Hey media conglomerates! Where's my AARP discount??? rolleyes.gif

Edited by phrelin, 12 December 2013 - 01:54 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   jceman

jceman

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNorth of Daytona Intl. Speedway

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

This topic title is totally misleading.

A&E owns Bio network, which is doing the reboot; this is abundantly clear if you actually read the link provided in the OP.

• RunnerFL likes this
Opinions voiced by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of any other person or entity, living or dead, real or fictional, on this or several other planets in this universe or any other.
Close cover before striking. Bridge may freeze before road. Your mileage may vary.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,314 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:44 AM

Yep, it is important to read the story the link ties to. It's about the A&E media conglomerate telling us old folks we're not their audience of choice. Maybe someone can change the title to "A&E to reboot Bio."

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,078 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

How do I change the title?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,415 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

According to a local article about a show called "Rowhouse Showdown" that's being filmed here, the rebranding will be in July.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

Thread title modified to more closely match linked article.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#9 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

Goodby biography.

#10 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,726 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

For Your Information?

Now why do I think there will be little real information on FYI?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,415 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

We wanted to like Rowhouse Showdown, but they just annoy us.

spam firewall