Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OTA and Satellite signal via single coax

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

I'm considering purchasing a AM21 to add a few local OTA subchannels to my system. I have a Slimline dish with the 3 LNB feeding a HR44 receiver with 2 Genie mini receivers. 

My outdoor antenna is on the house next to the dish. Is it possible to feed the OTA signal through the same coax that comes from the LNB into the house, and then split the signal at the HR44 so that the satellite signal goes into the HR44 and the OTA signal goes into the AM21? 

The home was wired with coax when it was built and all the drops terminate to an outside box. I originally had the OTA antenna connected to this junction box to the living room, but once I got Direct TV the installer used that connection to get the satellite signal to the living room. I'm trying to find a way to not make another coax run to the living room because the living room jack is on an exterior wall where there's not enough room in the attic to make a new drop down the wall. 

Any suggestions? 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,975 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

nope, you can't diplex with SWM and DECA (MoCA)

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

It would work if you had a SWM 8 and you did not have the Genies, but the Whole Home DVR and Ethernet over coax uses the same frequencies as OTA, so I do not think there is any way it can work in your setup.  The OTA will have to go on a separate coax.

#4 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 121 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

That's kind of what I figured :)  I'm a newbie with the current Direct TV systems. About 15 years ago I was a Direct TV subscriber and knew just about everything on how the whole system works and even did a few installs back when it was cheaper to do-it-yourself. Wow have things changed lol. 

Right now I'm looking for information and reading up on how SWM and DECA work. (If you know any good links please share!)  I'm a geek and can't just sit back and enjoy satellite TV, I have to know how it all works!

Thanks for the replies. 

#5 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,243 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

Solid Signal has a great blog and info.  I also search through DBSTalk itself to read up on what I need.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,467 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

It WILL work to diplex the satellite and antenna outside the house IF you diplex the OTA back out BEFORE that coax cable coming from outside reaches the splitter that connects to your HR44 and clients. The DECA/MRV frequencies don't need to reach the dish, they are used only for communication between the Genie and clients across the splitter. You cannot have a diplexer in the path between those devices.

Unless your splitter is near to your HR44/AM21 you'd need a second coax run from where you diplex out the OTA to your AM21.

This isn't something Directv will support, so if you have issues and they send an installer out he may question it and want to remove the diplexers. You can always put them back after he leaves :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   SolidSignal

SolidSignal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thanks, Supramom2000!

We don't recommend OTA diplexing with a SWM system but that doesn't mean it's utterly impossible. One method that has worked for some people is to use a combiner to add the signal from an antenna and the signal from the Broadband DECA together. The trick is that you use a band stop filter on the input with the antenna to make sure that no signals that would interfere with the DECA can get through. This sometimes means you lose channels, if any of your locals are on the 475MHz to 625MHz band.

Personally I wouldn't do it and I certainly would stop doing it if it looked like it was causing problems, but yes, people report they've done it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...