Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Coby Electronics TVs Recalled (but waitasec.....)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

In the category of "you get what you pay for"...

I'm reading on the Consumerist that the certain 32" models of Coby televisions are being recalled because of a fire risk. Certain retailers are taking the televisions back for a full refund. Here is the interesting part.... Coby no longer exists. A few months ago, the assets of Coby were sold, but not the "obligations and liabilities" and sacked all of the employees. That meant that items returned for repair and refund are "lost".

Coby Televisions and their irk tend to populate the low-end television market, and tended to be the Black Friday specials. I tended towards the major name brand electronics such as LG, Toshiba, and Sam*cough*sung. (Although with Sam*cough*sung, there was that capacitor issue that plagued certain models that the company repeatedly denied exists before finally owning up to the issue.) Although, with the cost of these televisions nowaways, isn't the general policy nowadays that if it's broke during the warranty period, it's cheaper for the manufacturer to replace and junk a defective television rather than even think about repairing it.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

I despise Coby, last year we brought one of their 50 inch TVs and it gave off a lot of RF interference that killed reception of all VHF signals in the house (Basically the entire house lost CBS, NBC and ABC anytime this TV was on). It happened even if the TV wasn't connected to the house antenna and just plugged into a room at the other end of the house nowhere near any of the RG6. Coby refused to acknowledge this problem or offer to fix it, so PC Richard replaced it with the same model to see if we got a defective unit, the replacement had the same problem. Coby still refused to acknowledge the problem or even look into it. PC Richard on the other hand took note of it and replaced it with a Toshiba and we had zero problems since then.

#3 ONLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:16 AM

Why am I not surprised? I have been known to get the second opinions and do my research before a major purchase, but then I would rather spend the extra money and get something that lasts a few years rather than be a cheapskate, save a few bucks, and then replace it within a year or so. 

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

spam firewall