Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any new information on Dish Anywhere Transfers?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

I just saw this article from last month just now at engadget that " the company has just promised that Dish Anywhere will handle offline videos by the end of the year. In addition to consolidating the experience, the upgrade also introduces Transfers support to Android and iPhone users -- you won't have to use an iPad to catch up on Hopper DVR recordings."  Has anyone seen an actual press release about this or have any newer information?  Will there be a software update on our receivers and a new Dish Anywhere App for mobile devices that will enable this?  

I just got a tablet and my WiFi works better in some places of the house than others (such as the kitchen), so it would be nice to transfer a show and then watch it in the kitchen while preparing dinner or washing up.

Thanks,

Neil

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:54 AM

The software is probably already in place on the receiver but now you just need the app update. only 17 days or less

#3 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:00 AM

Just turned on my android tablet and saw the Dish Anywhere App updating.  It opened up with a screen about Dish Transfers.

The menu looks relatively straightforward.  I'm trying it out right now.

Edited by neilo, 21 December 2013 - 07:03 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

The Dish Anywhere App has also been updated to support closed captioning.

#5 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

Unfortunately the transfer was taking longer than expected and the progress only flashes briefly (less than a second) before going back to pending.  I don't know whether I was accomplishing anything.  I told a support chat person about that progress message.  I asked him how large a half hour show is supposed to be and he had no answer but said it takes a half hour to upload and a half hour to process.  It was taking longer than that.

#6 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

Tried again and it didn't get past 0% progress when I could see that.  I tried another chat and didn't get anywhere. That person suggested uninstalling and reinstalling.  

She also talked with an engineer and then said, "He said that because it was just added they have been seeing some issues with it. Had a customer report it taking over an hour to transfer. 

Unfortunately he said wait a little longer, I will fill out a technical report about the issue so it gets fixed though."

I tried preparing another program (and noticed this time that a half hour program is about 490+ MB).  I could see the progress on my tablet of it preparing to transfer, but then when I tried to transfer it -- once again it appears to stall at 0% and not proceed further.  

#7 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

How can one play transferred videos on a TV?

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:48 AM

How can one play transferred videos on a TV?

You will have to check the instructions for the device that you have transferred your videos to.
If it has a HDMI port you may be able to connect your device direct to a TV.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

I checked the settings on my iPhone DISH Anywhere application. I do not see that option. Should be an option.

#10 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

I'm pretty sure that video output is blocked, just like it was in the past on DRA app and on the Sling App. I could always see the menus and hear audio but video would be a black screen. As soon as I stopped playback, the menus would appear on my TV again. I also confirmed with Sling Tech Support that video output is blocked.

You can try using a Apple Airplay but I believe you would need to enable Mirroring mode on the iDevice.

#11 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:52 PM

I'm pretty sure that video output is blocked, just like it was in the past on DRA app and on the Sling App. I could always see the menus and hear audio but video would be a black screen. As soon as I stopped playback, the menus would appear on my TV again. I also confirmed with Sling Tech Support that video output is blocked.

You can try using a Apple Airplay but I believe you would need to enable Mirroring mode on the iDevice.

I wrote to the peeps that invented the application and asked that the ability to look at a transferred show to beable to be viewed on a TV.

I will download the AirPlay application and see if that works. if o e can view You Tube videos on a TV then DISH Anywhere should work the same.

#12 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

AirPlay won't work with On Demand content or transferred videos. It only works for content you are Slinging.

#13 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

It appears that there were enough problems that they have reverted the Android version back to what it was earlier without any transfers.  I just called and they said they had no ETA on when it will be reissued again with transfers.

#14 OFFLINE   Revrick

Revrick

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNW Arkansas

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

the android version of dish transfer was to be in the latest update to dish anywhere but it was pulled after some users were having difficulties

#15 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:49 AM

The android version of the dish transfer is back.  

#16 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

So, I called up support and they said that even though the App was sent out again, it still isn't supposed to be working anyway.  

#17 OFFLINE   Calvin386

Calvin386

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

I have the Dish Anywhere app on iPhone 5.  I use it to stream all the time. 

I don't see an option to transfer programming.  Should there be one?

Thanks...

#18 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

I didn't think the iOS version was ever pulled and has transfers since the update that included them.

#19 OFFLINE   Calvin386

Calvin386

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

Where do I find the transfer option in the Dish Anywhere app?

#20 OFFLINE   hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

Where do I find the transfer option in the Dish Anywhere app?

It is a menu option on my Dish Anywhere app. Do you have the latest version of the app? Also, do you have a Hopper with Sling (also known as Hopper 2). That is the only DVR from Dish that supports transfers. 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...